the person after me game

Moderator:JackFrost

dEhiN
Re: the person after me game

Postby dEhiN » 2017-05-18, 5:23

france-eesti wrote:The person after me would like to unblock the Multilingual Wish Corruption game because it was pretty funny and it's now blocked on from my last proposition.

Proposition sounds pretty formal, and is considered a high register word. You could just say "my last response", or if you want to be specific, "from my last sentence". (By the way, check out the thread now! (Oh and please correct my French in that thread! Thanks!))

Dormouse559 wrote:
france-eesti wrote:I'd like to open a salad'bar with the person after me but that wouldn't be vegetarian.
What does "that" refer to?

If "that" refers to the salad bar, then you need to add "one" as a referent in the sub clause: I'd like to open a salad bar with the person after me, but one that wouldn't be vegetarian. (If "that" refers to something else, then you'd need to include more detail in your sentence).

Osias wrote:
linguoboy wrote:
Osias wrote:The person after me cuts their bacon with a single knife.

As opposed to...a double knife?

I... I... Why did I wrote write that? I think I should've said "a single hand".

I think you've mentioned before that you just forget this rule, but remember that when the auxiliary "do" is in the past or negative, the main verb just needs to be in root form. Also, regarding the single knife thing, I thought perhaps you meant as opposed to using two knives - one to hold one end of the bacon down, and the other to cut it. Though now that I write that, I realize the utensil most commonly used to hold food down while you cut it is, of course, a fork! (I'm going to blame that on Portuguese! For some reason I mix up the words for fork and knife all the time in Portuguese, and since Osias, you're Brazilian...)

Osias wrote:I never had any wine and have no idea why they call some of them dry. To me a dry wine should be grapes in powder.

Since Dormouse already offered a correction, I'll explain why it's called dry wine (or at least, what I understand of the term). A dry wine means a wine that leaves your mouth dry, or lacking in saliva, usually because of the taste and acidity of the wine. Red wines are generally considered dry. The same type of phenomenon (of using an adjective that doesn't quite make sense to describe a noun) is "wet snow". In this case, "wet" refers to snow that's particularly wet, and has a consistency almost like water, or a mix of water (in liquid form) and snow. That usage of attaching an adjective that seems contrary to a noun is relatively common in English: dark light, heating fan, slow bullet, little Big Book*, etc.

*This is specifically an AA term: Big Book is the unofficial name of the basic AA text. But the premise of the phrase follows the same usage. It's called Big Book because it's big, but there exist little-size versions which use smaller print, hence the term "little Big Book".

And finally...
Dormouse559 wrote:The person after me is a strict adherent of the Oxford comma.

I used to be a strict adherent; now, not as much. The recent court case involving the Oxford comma that resulted in one US company having to pay millions in overtime to its employees did make me laugh! I also felt a little vindicated for being a staunch adherent of it. I should get back to using it regularly; it's only laziness and seeing others not use it that have made me abandon it.

The person after me, when watching a TV series, likes everything at the end of each episode to be tickety-boo.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-05-18, 15:06

I'd rather watch He-Man style endings.

The person after dreams to be the She-Ra from Ucrania.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-05-18, 16:12

Osias wrote:The person after dreams to be the She-Ra from Ucrania.

A more natural way of saying that would be "dreams of being She-Ra"; in English it's common to say "dream of" and we don't generally put an article in front of someone's name. In this case, She-Ra is her name, not a title.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-05-18, 16:46

dEhiN wrote:

A more natural way of saying that would be "dreams of being She-Ra"; in English it's common to say "dream of" and we don't generally put an article in front of someone's name. In this case, She-Ra is her name, not a title.

I think in this case the intended meaning is "the She-Ra of Ukraine", i.e. Ukraine's answer to She-Ra, the person in Ukraine who most resembles the fictional character She-Ra.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-05-18, 16:49

dEhiN wrote:

In this case, is a title. The person is not called "She-Ra", she is "The She-Ra from X", like in expressions as "the russian hitler", "the jew bear", "the Wolfgang Puck of Brazil" (they said this one on Lost)

So "dreams of being the She-Ra from Ucrania".
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-05-18, 16:53

linguoboy wrote:I think in this case the intended meaning is "the She-Ra of Ukraine", i.e. Ukraine's answer to She-Ra, the person in Ukraine who most resembles the fictional character She-Ra.

That's it. Thanks!

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-05-18, 16:54

Osias wrote:"the jew bear"

Um, what?

[N.B.: Using "Jew" as an adjective is considered insulting in English. The adjective is always "Jewish", and even the use of "Jew" as a noun is deprecated in many circumstances. See: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Jew#Usage_notes.]

Osias wrote:The person after me dreams to of being the She-Ra from Ucraniaof Ukraine.

I'd rather be the new Emperor of Brazil. (Someone's gonna hafta step in once there's no free politician left to become President.)

The person after me has given up trying to keep up with the latest-breaking political scandals in the USA.
Last edited by linguoboy on 2017-05-18, 17:00, edited 2 times in total.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-05-18, 16:58

I was quoting the movie Inglourious Basterds. The expression "the Jew Bear", used there, is justified because 1) the movie is set in the past 2) the expression is used by the Nazi themselves. I used the example because it was the only few I could think of and find on google and because of the "the".

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-05-18, 17:03

Osias wrote:I was quoting the movie Inglourious Basterds. The expression "the Jew Bear", used there, is justified because 1) the movie is set in the past 2) the expression is used by the Nazi themselves. I used the example because it was the only few I could think of and find on google and because of the "the".

The character was actually called "the Bear Jew". (Also, capitalisation is important.)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-05-18, 17:06

:hmm:

1) I saw with subtitles and that influenced my memory
2) I googled "the Jew bear" and saw the guy's face...

Whatever.

The person after me used to dream of being the She-Ra from Ucrania but now gave up and is happy to be the Hulk from Poland.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-05-18, 17:12

Osias wrote:The person after me used to dream of being the She-Ra fromof UcraniaUkraine but has now gavegiven up and is happy to be the Hulk fromof Poland.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-05-18, 17:13

Why my spell checker accepts "Ucrania", though. :hmm:

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-05-18, 17:16

Osias wrote:Why does my spell checker accepts "Ucrania", though. :hmm:

Do you have it set on "English - Ucrania"?

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-05-18, 17:22

MMMM. Nope.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-05-18, 20:16

dEhiN wrote:Proposition sounds pretty formal, and is considered a high register word. You could just say "my last response", or if you want to be specific, "from my last sentence". (By the way, check out the thread now! (Oh and please correct my French in that thread! Thanks!))

Ah, thanks a lot David!! :D

Osias wrote:The person after me used to dream of being the She-Ra from Ucrania but now gave up and is happy to be the Hulk from Poland.

Yes but after one liter of vodka I'm in doubt again.

The person after me is currently stuck between two of his main personalities.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2017-05-20, 10:46

Yes, and I had a discussion with myself and myself about that, and I lost it.

The person after me is a geocacher.
Please correct my mistakes. I'd really appreciate it ❤

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-05-20, 23:30

tiuwiu wrote:Yes, and I had a discussion with myself and myself about that, and I lost it.

You don't need to include a pronoun, and it's common not to; "I lost the discussion" is implied when you just say "I lost".

I've heard of geocaching but the idea has never interested me. I think it's boring - the idea, at least since I've never tried it.

Whenever the person after me is talking to someone, they frequently wish that other person knew all the languages TPAM knows. That way TPAM could code-switch whenever they wanted.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2017-05-21, 4:31

dEhiN wrote:
tiuwiu wrote:Yes, and I had a discussion with myself and myself about that, and I lost it.

You don't need to include a pronoun, and it's common not to; "I lost the discussion" is implied when you just say "I lost".
"To lose it" also has several idiomatic meanings: to go crazy, to get angry, to break out laughing

On a stylistic note, one fixed phrase for talking about yourself as if you were multiple people is "me, myself and I". You could say, "I had a discussion with me, myself and I about that." It's usually for emphasizing aloneness, but I believe you could deviate from that core meaning in this case.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-05-21, 5:27

Dormouse559 wrote:You could say, "I had a discussion with me, myself and I about that." It's usually for emphasizing aloneness, but I believe you could deviate from that core meaning in this case.

I think I've seen it used just as much to both, convey the idea of aloneness - "it's just me, myself, and I this evening" - and to convey the idea that there are multiple persons/voices in your head - "there's me, there's myself, and then there's I". This second meaning, at least in the ways I've seen it, is used either facetiously or seriously to demonstrate the concept of 'loudness' in your head.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-05-23, 12:49

tiuwiu wrote:The person after me is a geocacher.

Sadly, I have a very bad sense of orientation, so I would be a lousy geocacher... Maybe in another life.

The person after me isn't sure on which life they are now living, but they believe it may be number 4 or number 5.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

Return to “English”