the person after me game

Moderator:JackFrost

linguoboy
Re: the person after me game

Postby linguoboy » 2017-07-03, 15:10

dEhiN wrote:
Osias wrote:Yes, I used 'she' to indicate that I was talking about a specific biker whom I happen to knew was know is a woman.

"Whom I happen to" takes the present tense for the verb following (or the present perfect).

Maybe s/he is no longer a woman?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-07-03, 16:31

Actually, it's me who 'knew' and I don't know anymore.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-07-04, 4:17

linguoboy wrote:
dEhiN wrote:
Osias wrote:Yes, I used 'she' to indicate that I was talking about a specific biker whom I happen to knew was know is a woman.

"Whom I happen to" takes the present tense for the verb following (or the present perfect).

Maybe s/he is no longer a woman?

Sorry, I originally meant to only change "knew" into "know". I'm not sure if "happen to knew" works in your dialect, but I've never heard it before and it sounds ungrammatical to my ears. The tense of "to be" in that sentence could be both in past or present, at least in my dialect.

Osias wrote:Actually, it's me who 'knew' and I don't know anymore.

I think in that case, I would rephrase the whole thing. I suppose you could say something like "...specific biker whom I happened to know is a woman" and that could potentially not be ambiguous (because you're saying she is a woman and that you knew her in the past). I think any other combination of tense with "happen" and "be" could be ambiguous: "whom I happened to know was a woman" could mean she's no longer a woman but was when you knew her; "whom I happen to know was a woman" imples she is definitely no longer a woman. That's why I would rephrase it as "a specific woman/female biker whom I happened to know".
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-07-04, 12:58

This is getting too far, so the person after me ran away from this thread to a city made of light, where Saint Bárbara, Oxumaré and Jesus live.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2017-07-04, 14:30

tiuwiu wrote:The person after me can break the Dorabella Cipher.
Of course I can.

What's the best way to break paper?

Osias wrote:This is getting going too far (or "This has gone on too long"), so the person after me ran away from this thread to a city made of light, where Saint Bárbara, Oxumaré and Jesus live.
Yes, and the wi-fi is so fast here.

The person after me moonlights as an airline pilot.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2017-07-04, 22:29

No, I sunlight as a ship captain.

The person after me starlights as a train driver.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-07-05, 0:36

In my star trains are autonomous.

The people after me are a single person, actually.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2017-07-09, 7:55

No, I'm not.

TPAM is leaning on his/her left elbow.
Please correct my mistakes. I'd really appreciate it ❤

Estrella

Postby Estrella » 2017-07-10, 0:07

It was my right elbow.

The person after me has long hair.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-07-10, 15:17

Not any more.

The person after me is ready for the day that bangs come back in style.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-07-10, 18:23

I've always had bangs and I don't five a fuck if it's not trendy.

The person after me can swim the butterfly stroke
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-07-11, 2:44

france-eesti wrote:The person after me can swim the butterfly stroke

I used to be able to when I was younger, but now I can't. (Also, quick usage note: you can also use "do" with swimming techniques, and in my experience it's more common in casual settings. Using "swim" sounds a bit more formal.)

The person after me is either going through or has gone through a quarter-life crisis.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-07-12, 5:46

Oh, dear David, I'm unfortunately much too old for that... I just turned 35 a few days ago :roll:
(but I don't care because I use size 12 year old clothes so I'm youuuuuung!) 8-)

The person after me has seen Madonna in concert.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-07-12, 7:39

france-eesti wrote:Oh, dear David, I'm unfortunately much too old for that... I just turned 35 a few days ago :roll:
(but I don't care because I use size 12 year old clothes sizes so I'm youuuuuung!) 8-)

Happy belated birthday! You're only a year older than me, and a quarter-life crisis doesn't seem that far removed from my current stage in life. Although that could be because I'm pretty sure my mental and emotional age is closer to early 20s than mid 30s! :D

Also, for the edit, in English "size X" doesn't really work with "X year old". You could say "... I use 12 year old clothes sizes" (as I wrote) or "12 years old clothes". Even "12 year old clothes" could work, although by itself that phrase is ambiguous but in this context it makes sense. You could also say "12 year old clothing sizes".

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2017-07-12, 15:34

france-eesti wrote:The person after me has seen Madonna in concert.

No, I haven't. But I saw her and her bodyguards jogging through Hyde Park a few years ago.

The person after me likes rainy days.
Please correct my mistakes. I'd really appreciate it ❤

Antea

Postby Antea » 2017-07-12, 19:06

Not really. I feel sad when there's no sun.

The person after me likes wandering in the nature.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-07-12, 19:38

Antea wrote:The person after me likes wandering in the nature.

As long as I know where I'm going.

The person after me can get lost just walking back home from the store.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-07-12, 23:04

linguoboy wrote:
Antea wrote:The person after me likes wandering in the nature.

Another way to say that is "wandering around in nature". I'm not sure about linguoboy but for me "wandering around in" connotes the idea of not having a destination in mind, also known as aimless wandering. Whereas "wandering in nature" doesn't necessarily emphasize the no destination part, and could even mean the person has a destination but is taking it slow, like a stroll.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2017-07-13, 8:00

dEhiN wrote:Another way to say that is "wandering around in nature". I'm not sure about linguoboy but for me "wandering around in" connotes the idea of not having a destination in mind, also known as aimless wandering. Whereas "wandering in nature" doesn't necessarily emphasize the no destination part, and could even mean the person has a destination but is taking it slow, like a stroll.

OK, thanks. So these to expressions have different connotations. I will try to remember them :yep:

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-07-13, 9:32

linguoboy wrote:The person after me can get lost just walking back home from the store.

This would have been possible when I was a young teeanger but now fortunately I can still find my way in my neighborhood :)

The person after me promised everyone around them they wouldn't bring their kids to McDonald's.

Return to “English”