the person after me game

Moderator:JackFrost

linguoboy
Re: the person after me game

Postby linguoboy » 2016-09-23, 19:10

Not good beer!

The person after me drinks beer as if it were mineral water and mineral water not at all.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Jullí

Postby Jullí » 2016-09-23, 20:20

Not yet, but that will probably happen soon enough if I spend too much time in the Czech Republic.

The person after me has travelled in Central Europe.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2016-09-24, 19:09

Yes, to Hungary in July. It was a great, great experience!

The person after me has a special crush on a Central European country.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

Jullí

Postby Jullí » 2016-09-24, 20:06

I'm not sure. But so far I really like both Poland and the Czech Republic (I haven't been to any other Central European country yet).

The person after me likes Dead Can Dance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJqUbb-WuPQ

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2016-09-26, 19:54

I don't dislike, though I'm usually more a ska person :lmao:

The person after me did a good action today and he'll tell us what it was.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

Dark_Horse

Postby Dark_Horse » 2016-10-01, 16:09

france-eesti wrote:The person after me did a good action deed today and he'll tell us what it was.

No, I didn't do any.

The person after me doesn't like sweets.
Native: (el)
C2: (en-us)
Basic: (fr)
Studying: (grc) (la)
Interested in: (et)

Jullí

Postby Jullí » 2016-10-01, 19:59

True, I try to stay away from refined sugar most of the time. Fresh fruit, dates, raisins, dried cranberries are usually enough for me whenever I need to satisfy my sweet tooth.

The person after me likes dipping bread in olive oil and eats it as a quick snack.

Unknown

Postby Unknown » 2016-10-03, 1:30

Nope, I try to stay away from any sort of oil. However I do consume a bit of olive oil once in a while because I live in a family of five and my family loves to add oil on tomato sauce for example, but I do avoid it as much as I can. Anything I make for myself never includes any oil. I also try to stay away from refined sugar. It's not only unhealthy but it also isn't ecological at all, plus it is unethical from an animal welfare standpoint. Sugar cane fields are typically found near rabbit habitats, and a method that is commonly used to kill weeds is burning, which not only destroys rabbit habitat, but also deteriorates soil health.

The next person is the only person in his or her family that is fit.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2016-10-03, 2:07

I am actually the heavier one.

Heavier than the person after me.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Unknown

Postby Unknown » 2016-10-03, 3:12

Nope lol I may not be completely fit but I am pretty slim.

The next person grows their food all year long.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2016-10-04, 10:04

I would love do to that but for the moment I'm sticking to aromatic herbs... And tomatoes in summer. Next year I'll try peppers!

What's the person after me's favorite dish for Christmas (or the local religious equivalent)?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2016-10-04, 15:31

Jullí wrote:Fresh fruit, dates, raisins, dried cranberries are usually enough for me whenever I need to satisfy my sweet tooth.

These is a really, really subtle thing and I suspect many other English-speakers wouldn't agree with me, but I think the sentence sounds better with "fresh fruits". Yes, "fruit" is often a mass noun, particularly in the collocation "fresh fruit", but given that everything else in the list is pluralised, it sounds slightly off to me not to treat it as a count noun here--perfectly grammatical, mind you, but just the slightest bit off.

Osias wrote:I am actually the heavier one.

This makes it sound like there are only two people in your family.

france-eesti wrote:What's the person after me's favorite dish for Christmas (or the local religious equivalent)?

Um...I'm not sure what you mean by "local religious equivalent". There's nothing comparable that I can think of in any East Asian religion, for instance. (New Year's Day is a completely secular holiday there.)

In any case, I do come from a Christian religious tradition and I celebrate Christmas. I like making blaukraut for Christmas because it has such a beautiful colour and goes well with roast meat.

The person after me has eaten mooncakes.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2016-10-04, 16:44

Yes, but not at the last moon festival.

In Northern China, the only commonly celebrated festival with a Buddhist origin is 腊八.
And people in China go to pray at temples on the New Year's Eve or Day, but yeah, I still consider it a secular festival.

The person after me has eaten food.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2016-10-04, 16:49

linguoboy wrote:

Really? I don't have examples right now, but I think I've seen a picture with like five cats and someone refers to one of them like "the black one" or posts like that. Or even a person in a country as "the X-est one from Country Y". :hmm: :hmm:

The person after me has eaten food.
It's part of the "planet Earth experience" package I subscribed.

Jesus Himself baptized the person after me, even it was not His custom. (His apostles did the baptisms.)
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2016-10-04, 17:01

Osias wrote:Really? I don't have examples right now, but I think I've seen a picture with like five cats and someone refers to one of them like "the black one" or posts like that. Or even a person in a country as "the X-est one from Country Y". :hmm: :hmm:

The problem is not ''one'' but rather the comparative suffix -er instead of the superlative -est. At least I think so.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2016-10-04, 17:02

Osias wrote:
linguoboy wrote:

Really? I don't have examples right now, but I think I've seen a picture with like five cats and someone refers to one of them like "the black one" or posts like that. Or even a person in a country as "the X-est one from Country Y".

Yeah...see, the thing is, our language has a positive, a comparative, and a superlative. The comparative is used when comparing two things or groups of things. "I am heavier than you", for instance. But when more than two are involved, we need the superlative. I can be heavier than some members of my family but not the heaviest among them.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2016-10-04, 17:11

linguoboy wrote:Yeah...see, the thing is, our language has a positive, a comparative, and a superlative. The comparative is used when comparing two things or groups of things. "I am heavier than you", for instance. But when more than two are involved, we need the superlative. I can be heavier than some members of my family but not the heaviest among them.

Portuguese and all other Romance languages have a superlative too though. (Maybe I misunderstood you but the way you phrased it seemed to suggest that Portuguese doesn't have a superlative)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2016-10-04, 17:16

IpseDixit wrote:Portuguese and all other Romance languages have a superlative too though. (Maybe I misunderstood you but the way you phrased it seemed to suggest that Portuguese doesn't have a superlative)

Yeah, but it's formed periphrastically with the help of the definite article, not with a distinct adverbial qualifier or superlative suffix. The point is, "the heavier one" is not equivalent to o mais pesado.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2016-10-04, 18:32

Oh, I see, now! Thanks you too.

As a matter of fact¹, my family does have only two persons: me and my wife. :)

¹- or should it be only "actually"?

Repeating my question:

Jesus Himself baptized the person after me, even it was not His custom. (His apostles did the baptisms.)

Jullí

Postby Jullí » 2016-10-04, 21:07

Osias wrote: only two persons

A native English speaker once told me that "person" should only be used in the singular. One person, two people. I didn't want to contradict him at that time but I really felt he was being a tad hypercorrective. Any insight would be greatly appreciated here!

linguoboy wrote:. Yes, "fruit" is often a mass noun, particularly in the collocation "fresh fruit", but given that everything else in the list is pluralised, it sounds slightly off to me not to treat it as a count noun here--perfectly grammatical, mind you, but just the slightest bit off.

Actually, I felt the exact same way the moment I wrote that sentence... but blindly sticked to the "rule".

Osias wrote:

I was baptised by a priest who was a dear friend of my parents'. That was 32 years ago. I eventually grew out of catholicism and the belief system that I consider the closest to my personal spirituality now would be pantheism.

The person after me does not like his/her Christian name and wishes he/she could change it someday.

Return to “English”