the person after me game

Moderator:JackFrost

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator
Re: the person after me game

Postby france-eesti » 2017-05-30, 10:19

Elaine wrote:The person after me hates the fact that Trump has become the president of the United States.

Kind of. Doesn't every single person who didn't vote for him do?

The person after me claims to hate fast food but sometimes makes a secret trip to Burger King or Mc Donald's.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2017-05-30, 16:01

To be honest, I like fast food :) but I rarely go to McDonald's/Burger King because it's too expensive. That's why I often make burgers by myself.

The person after me likes to read the newspaper online.
Please correct my mistakes. I'd really appreciate it ❤

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-05-30, 17:49

france-eesti wrote:Kind of. Doesn't every single person who didn't vote for him do?

tiuwiu wrote:To be honest, I like fast food :) but I rarely go to McDonald's/Burger King because it's too expensive. That's why I often make burgers by myself.

"by myself" = "alone"
"myself" = emphasises "I"

tiuwiu wrote:The person after me likes to read the newspaper online.

I really have no use for print newspapers any more. Why buy a whole loaf when I just want a free slice now and then?

The person after me owns an e-reader but never uses it.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

plengfruit

Postby plengfruit » 2017-05-31, 11:06

linguoboy wrote:The person after me owns an e-reader but never uses it.

I own an old-fashioned Kindle and I use it every day. Helps kill time when I take a bus to work.

June the 1st is a bank holiday where the next person lives.
Image Image Image Image Image

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-05-31, 11:50

Dormouse559 wrote:
france-eesti wrote:I've only lived abroad once in my life; it was in Portugal and it was just very great. Right now I have a family life that makes me remain keeps me in France but as no one can predict the future, no one can say if I won't find myself in Eastern Hungary or in Southern Estonian in the next 20 years...
"Just very great" has too many adverbs. I thought about just deleting one adverb, but "very great" sounds clunky and "just great" can actually sound sarcastic, so I think "great" on its own is enough.

You probably could add "really" and say "... it was really great". "Extremely" would also work if you want to a degree higher than "really". "Amazingly" also comes to mind, but I feel like that has a slang sense: it was amazingly great.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-05-31, 12:41

Thanks DeHin, Dormouse559 and Linguoboy! :D

plengfruit wrote:June the 1st is a bank holiday where the next person lives.

Sadly, it is not, but as I don't work today, no problem, my week isn't a five-day one either :ohwell:

What's the person after me's favorite ice cream flavor?
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-05-31, 13:02

france-eesti wrote:dEhiN

FTFY! ;)

What's the person after me's favorite ice cream flavor?

:shock: You're using American spelling and you live in Europe?! :nope: A pox on you!! :twisted:

My favourite ice cream flavour is probably fudge chocolate brownie, or triple chocolate fudge, or basically anything with a ton of chocolate!

If the person after me had a childhood pet, they will tell us its name and what type of animal it was.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-05-31, 13:33

dEhiN wrote: :shock: You're using American spelling and you live in Europe?! :nope: A pox on you!! :twisted:

aaaaaaaaaah you got me!!!! :silly:

dEhiN wrote:My favourite ice cream flavour is probably fudge chocolate brownie, or triple chocolate fudge, or basically anything with a ton of chocolate!

a ton of chocolate? What about your diabetes? My pancreas goes crazy at the mere thought of chocolate :mrgreen:

dEhiN wrote:If the person after me had a childhood pet, they will tell us its name and what type of animal it was.

A black dog called Raoul :silly:

It's a chance the person after me hates the taste of tobacco, else they'd be a chain smoker because of their extremely nervous temperament.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2017-06-04, 8:26

Uhm, that's a hard to answer. Maybe I would, maybe i wouldn't. :noclue:

The person after me hasn't listened to any music yet.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-06-04, 14:47

tiuwiu wrote:The person after me hasn't listened to any music yet.

That sounds a bit ambiguous without a time reference. My first thought is that you're implying today. If you want to say that the person has never listened to music their whole life, it's better to say "tpam hasn't ever listened to any music (their whole life)".

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2017-06-04, 16:32

dEhiN wrote:

My first thought is that you're implying today.

That's exactly what I meant.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-06-06, 4:56

tiuwiu wrote:
dEhiN wrote:

My first thought is that you're implying today.

That's exactly what I meant.

In that case, then my reply is: No, I haven't yet listened to any music today.

The person after me is currently looking at their copy of Beowulf and Other Old English Poems and wondering when they'll get around to finally reading the infamous Beowulf poem.

kubik

Postby kubik » 2017-06-06, 5:35

I don't have a copy of Beowulf and I don't think I would read it even if I somehow came into posession of that book. I'm not a fan of reading literary classics just because they are that.

The person after me doesn't like seafood.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-06-06, 11:30

I love seafood. It is delicious. I'm just a bit lazy when it comes to eating a crab because it's lots of work for a very poor result.

The person after me is anxiously waiting for a call.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2017-06-13, 17:09

No, I'm not waiting for a call.

The person after me has never been abroad.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-06-13, 17:47

That's not true, I have been abroad. But I have never been a broad! (Sorry, I couldn't resist. :D )

Does the person after me prefer to study languages through self-study or by taking courses?

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2017-06-13, 18:20

france-eesti wrote:It's a chance lucky the person after me hates the taste of tobacco, else they'd be a chain smoker because of their extremely nervous temperament.

kubik wrote:I don't have a copy of Beowulf and I don't think I would read it even if I somehow came into posession of that book. I'm not a fan of reading literary classics just because they are that.
A stylistic thing: An idiomatic way of phrasing the highlighted text is "because they are just that". If you want to be completely unambiguous about what quality you mean, you can repeat all or part of the antecedent of "they". So you could say: I'm not a fan of reading literary classics because they are just that - literary classics / literary / classics.

dEhiN wrote:Does the person after me prefer to study languages through self-study or by taking courses?
I prefer classes, but I was lucky enough to have excellent French teachers through high school and college, so that's the background I'm working from.

The person after me has known career they want to go into since they were little.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-06-13, 19:07

Dormouse559 wrote:The person after me has known (what? the?) career they want to go into since they were little.

I assume that was a typo but if not, does your dialect allow for no article before career?

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2017-06-13, 19:14

dEhiN wrote:
Dormouse559 wrote:The person after me has known (what? the?) career they want to go into since they were little.

I assume that was a typo but if not, does your dialect allow for no article before career?
Typo. :blush: I meant "what career".
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

kubik

Postby kubik » 2017-06-13, 19:38

Dormouse559 wrote:
kubik wrote:I don't have a copy of Beowulf and I don't think I would read it even if I somehow came into posession of that book. I'm not a fan of reading literary classics just because they are that.
A stylistic thing: An idiomatic way of phrasing the highlighted text is "because they are just that". If you want to be completely unambiguous about what quality you mean, you can repeat all or part of the antecedent of "they". So you could say: I'm not a fan of reading literary classics because they are just that - literary classics / literary / classics.

Could you clarify a bit: does that phrasing imply that the quality of being a literary classic is the reason why I'm not a fan of reading a book or that the quality of being a literary classic is not enough of a reason for me to be a fan of reading it? I was aiming for the latter.

Dormouse559 wrote:The person after me has known career they want to go into since they were little.

No. When I was little, I wanted to be an entomologist and that's not what I am now.

The person after me can't stand sour cream.

Return to “English”