the person after me game

Moderator:JackFrost

Osias
Re: the person after me game

Postby Osias » 2017-04-27, 10:55

france-eesti wrote:Actually I was directly quoting from Fool's Garden's song "Lemon tree"

I just read the lyrics, they eventually sing "I wonder why" after a couple of "I wonder" at the ending of the strophes, I think the name for that is ellipsis.

france-eesti wrote:unblocking both "A pessoa abaixo de mim"?

How can they still be blocked?!?

france-eesti wrote:The person after me thinks my suggestion is acceptable but has a very busy day today, because the Japanese clients are coming and they want to tour his factory.
I wish it was the Japanese...

Stand-ip comedians hate he person after me.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2017-04-27, 15:02

I like stand up comedians, they mostly make me laugh. :rotfl:

The person after me has a green thumb.
Please correct my mistakes. I'd really appreciate it ❤

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-04-27, 15:21

france-eesti wrote:Actually I was directly quoting from the Fool's Garden's song "Lemon tree"

Fair play, but they're not native speakers so it's not surprising if their lyrics end up sounding unidiomatic.

france-eesti wrote:Maybe you can make it up for me by unblocking both "A pessoa abaixo de mim" threads?

We should definitely discuss it aroundover a Batida.

The person after me thinks my suggestion is acceptable but has a very busy day today, because the Japanese clients are coming and they want to tour his factory.

If you don't care for singular they, you could avoid having to specify gender here by saying "tour the factory", which is somewhat higher register.

Osias wrote:I just read the lyrics, they eventually sing "I wonder why" after a couple of "I wonder"s at the ending of the strophesend of each chorus. I think the name for that is ellipsis.

The person after me has a green thumb.

Most of the plants I take care of survive.

The person after me thinks batidas are too weak and would rather have a Royce.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-04-27, 15:43

linguoboy wrote:
Osias wrote:I just read the lyrics, they eventually sing "I wonder why" after a couple of "I wonder"s at the ending of the strophesend of each chorus. I think the name for that is ellipsis.

Did I mistook the parts of the song that are chorus by strophes or you're saying people use "chorus" for any part of the song?

linguoboy wrote:The person after me thinks batidas are too weak and would rather have a Royce.

Someday I'll drink those things and realizes they are not mysterious and taste like that "passas ao rum" ice cream or something.

Spider-man likes to web the person after me.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-04-27, 20:52

But he never could eat me - it seems I'm too sweet.
:rotfl: :silly: :rotfl: :silly:

The person after me would disguise as Mary-Jane to rescue me.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

plengfruit

Postby plengfruit » 2017-04-27, 20:59

Yeah, no one would expect the Amazing Crossdress Man to come to the rescue.

The following person has to go shopping for clothes soon even though they don't want to.
Image Image Image Image Image

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-04-27, 21:06

france-eesti wrote:The person after me would disguise himself/herself as Mary-Jane to rescue me.

I'd like to use the famous "singular they", but my spellchecker refused both "theirself" and "themself".

BTW, I think disguising myself as aunt May would be better. He wouldn't try to kiss me and the probability of him obeying me would be higher.

plengfruit wrote:The following person has to go shopping for clothes soon even though they don't want to.

I never want to.

The person after me longs for Kripton.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-04-27, 21:14

Osias wrote:
linguoboy wrote:

Did I mistook the parts of the song that are chorus by strophes or you're saying people use "chorus" for any part of the song?

My bad; I was guessing at what you meant by "strophe" since you were using it with a meaning that doesn't exist in English. From what france-eesti quoted, it looked like "I wonder why" was part of the chorus.

The word you're looking for is "verse".

Osias wrote:Someday I'll drink those things and realizes they are not mysterious and taste like that "passas ao rum" ice cream or something.

Osias wrote:The person after me longs for Krypton.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-04-27, 21:56

linguoboy wrote:My bad; I was guessing at what you meant by "strophe" since you were using it with a meaning that doesn't exist in English.
What about this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strophe

The term has been extended to also mean a structural division of a poem

Considering the lyrics as a poem.
------------------------

The word you're looking for is "verse".

No, the parts of a song that are not the chorus are composed by several verses.

The person after me longs for Krypton.

OHgodwhy.gif

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-04-28, 2:34

Osias wrote:
linguoboy wrote:My bad; I was guessing at what you meant by "strophe" since you were using it with a meaning that doesn't exist in English.

I'm not really sure why you're arguing. I've given you my expert opinion as a fluent native speaker and paid tutor of English and as a trained linguist that no fluent English-speaker is going to understand "strophe" with the meaning you tried to give it above unless (a) they also speak a language where a cognate of στροφή is used to mean "verse of song" (and I'll point out that I speak more than one of those languages and I didn't make the connexion) and suspect L2 intereference or (b) they know the term from a study of Classical poetry and can make an inductive leap. The common term--in fact, the only term you can reasonably expect anyone to recognise--for "the part of a song which is not the chorus" is "the verses". Do with that information what you will.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-04-28, 8:53

linguoboy wrote:
Osias wrote:

I'm not really sure why you're arguing. I've given you my expert opinion as a fluent native speaker and paid tutor of English and as a trained linguist that no fluent English-speaker is going to understand "strophe" with the meaning you tried to give it above unless (a) they also speak a language where a cognate of στροφή is used to mean "verse of song" (and I'll point out that I speak more than one of those languages and I didn't make the connexion) and suspect L2 intereference or (b) they know the term from a study of Classical poetry and can make an inductive leap. The common term--in fact, the only term you can reasonably expect anyone to recognise--for "the part of a song which is not the chorus" is "the verses". Do with that information what you will.

Osias, I concur with linguoboy; strophe in English is not used to mean a verse/chorus or stanza of a song or poem. The only or at least most common general word we have is stanza. Even with your quote above, if you read through the rest of the sentence on Wikipedia, it says:
The term has been extended to also mean a structural division of a poem containing stanzas of varying line length
Therefore when talking about the most basic structural unit in a poem or song lyrics, you can only talk about the stanza.

Osias wrote:
france-eesti wrote:The person after me would disguise himself/herself as Mary-Jane to rescue me.

I'd like to use the famous "singular they", but my spellchecker refused both "theirself" and "themself".

Yeah unfortunately neither "theirself" or "themself" has become popular enough that spellcheckers and the like accept it. There are those who still will use it. Alternatively, you could use themselves with singular they. This is what I tend to do, since from a syntax point of view, themselves goes with they. And from a semantic point of view, I just consider both to refer to a singular entity instead of a plural one.

By the way, nice catch on the addition of the reflexive; I was going to make the same correction but you beat me to it! :P

Osias wrote:
france-eesti wrote:Actually I was directly quoting from Fool's Garden's song "Lemon tree"

I just read the lyrics, they eventually sing "I wonder why" after a couple of "I wonder" at the ending of the strophes, I think the name for that is ellipsis.

Leaving aside grammar corrections (since that was done already), france-eesti was correct in just quoting, "And I wonder". While ellipsis is a thing, I don't know if Fool's Garden was employing ellipsis when they ended each verse with, "and I wonder". If someone said that to me, my natural response would be "you wonder what?". And in the chorus, Fool's Garden essentially answers that by saying "I wonder how? I wonder why?".
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-04-28, 12:10

I was not arguing, just trying to understand it better. Thanks for both of you.

dEhiN wrote:By the way, nice catch on the addition of the reflexive; I was going to make the same correction but you beat me to it!
:) :) :)

Babbsagg

Postby Babbsagg » 2017-04-28, 12:14

france-eesti wrote:But he never could eat me - it seems I'm too sweet.
:rotfl: :silly: :rotfl: :silly:

I was about to comment on that, but it's probably best if I don't :para:
Thank you for correcting mistakes!

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-04-28, 12:40

We are still with

The person after me longs for Krypton.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-04-28, 14:36

Osias wrote:Thanks forto both of you.

There are some cases where to and for imply different things, and this is one of them. Using to implies your thanks is directed at us. Using would indicate that you're thanking someone else for the two of us, akin to how you would thank someone for a gift or something. Of course in this case the context overrides all that and I know what you meant. But in general "thanks to" and "thanks for" imply different things.

Osias wrote:The person after me longs for Krypton.

If I were Kryptonian (which, alas, I'm not), I would rather be here on Earth where I have superpowers than my home planet which would render me an ordinary citizen.

The person after me knows exactly what the person after them is going to write as a response to what they write. (Complicated enough for y'all?)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-04-28, 15:39

Well, I'd lose interest in this game if it was the case...

The person after me can distinctly remember their 18th birthday party.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-04-28, 17:05

I can only remember my birthday from 3 days ago. A search for memories of any other birthday results in a 404 error!

The person after me will finish my thought for me because I'm drawing a blank.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-04-28, 20:24

You mean as in remember your birthdays for you? :hmm:

The person after me lusts for Ivanka Trump.

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2017-04-30, 14:19

I have never lusted for anyone including her, so no.

The person after me likes the way Drew Barrymore acts.
native: (tr)
advanced: (en) (el)
intermediate: (fr) (ka)
focus: (de) (sl) (hr)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-04-30, 15:17

I liked her in 50 First Dates, and liked the movie overall, even it being an Adam Sandler's.

There's a huge black dog barking at the person after me and neither of us know why.

Return to “English”