the person after me game

Moderator:JackFrost

dEhiN
Re: the person after me game

Postby dEhiN » 2017-04-02, 4:24

Osias wrote:The person after me and my family will be friends if they meet.

Grammatically, to my ears, it sounds "more correct" as "... family would be friends if they met." But I think that's what an English teacher or the like would expect and consider correct English. Casually, what you've written is fine.

france-eesti wrote:Why not, I'm a pretty friendly person if I'm not in having an autistic or "know-it-all" day!

Osias wrote:I was trying to figure out if you were not some kind of autistic person or inon the spectrum yourself, but only inon some days.

As far as I know we always call someone who has autism an autistic person. There is no single noun for them. You could also have phrased what you wrote as "... out if you were not autistic or ...". Also, personally "on the/a spectrum" sounds better, but there could be some native English varieties that accept "in the/a spectrum". However, I think most varieties use "on some days".
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-04-02, 14:51

dEhiN wrote:
Osias wrote:The person after me and my family will be friends if they meet.

Grammatically, to my ears, it sounds "more correct" as "... family would be friends if they met." But I think that's what an English teacher or the like would expect and consider correct English. Casually, what you've written is fine.

As far as understood "would" indicates uncertainty and "will" indicates certainty. Yes, I know I've put an "if" there, and that marks uncertainty.

Let me put this way:

1 - They would be friends.
2 - If they meet, they will be friends, I'm pretty sure.

Also, personally "on the/a spectrum" sounds better, but there could be some native English varieties that accept "in the/a spectrum". However, I think most varieties use "on some days".

I've picked it up from the series "Sillicon Valley". I googled it now and the character said "on the end of some spectrum", so you're right, thanks. I didn't pay attention to that.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Babbsagg

Postby Babbsagg » 2017-04-02, 17:33

Osias wrote:As far as understood "would" indicates uncertainty and "will" indicates certainty. Yes, I know I've put an "if" there, and that marks uncertainty.

Let me put this way:

1 - They would be friends.
2 - If they meet, they will be friends, I'm pretty sure.

In my understanding, if you say "if the person met my family they would be friends" the 'uncertainty' is only in if they meet or not, not in the consequence of becoming friends. As in:

"if the person met my family" - hypothetical scenario, might happen but is unlikely
"they would be friends" - definite outcome if the above condition is met

If I wanted to say that the "being friends" part is uncertain, I'd use something like "might" or "could" instead of "would". Or "would probably". I think "would" is a definitive statement, just the grammatically correct form of "will" in this case.

"if they meet they will be friends" sounds to me as if it was an actual--not hypothetical--possibility, e.g. maybe they meet today, and if they do, they will be friends.
Thank you for correcting mistakes!

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-04-02, 18:42

Babbsagg wrote:The person after me doesn't believe the moon is made of cheese.

(I'm like a kid, when the game is stopped, I'm trying to start it again) :mrgreen:

Indeed, I don't believe but that's sad, that would be delicious on my morning toast.

Does the person after me love or hate attending weddings?
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-04-02, 20:10

I hate it a lot.

Nature has a special way to deal with the person after me.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-04-03, 4:12

Babbsagg wrote:In my understanding, if you say "if the person met my family they would be friends" the 'uncertainty' is only in if they meet or not, not in the consequence of becoming friends. As in:

"if the person met my family" - hypothetical scenario, might happen but is unlikely
"they would be friends" - definite outcome if the above condition is met

If I wanted to say that the "being friends" part is uncertain, I'd use something like "might" or "could" instead of "would". Or "would probably". I think "would" is a definitive statement, just the grammatically correct form of "will" in this case.

"if they meet they will be friends" sounds to me as if it was an actual--not hypothetical--possibility, e.g. maybe they meet today, and if they do, they will be friends.

You're correct. But that's why I wrote in my response to Osias that according to English education grammar rules, or English grammarians, the proper way to write/say it would be to use would. At least, as far as I know, that's the rule major North American English uses. In practice, when people speak/write casually they substitute will. As I'm sure with any language, native speakers forget the rules, language usage changes, people sometimes hypercorrect or use an analogous rule in a situation which is an exception on purpose, etc.

france-eesti wrote:(I'm like a kid, when the game is stopped, I'm trying to start it again) :mrgreen:

There's no problem with that. :D I sometimes participate in the game, but I offer English usage corrections or suggestions more so since the point of this game and this forum is to practice the non-native languages we're learning!
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Babbsagg

Postby Babbsagg » 2017-04-03, 15:44

@dEhiN

True, in colloquial speech there's a lot that is by standardised rules incorrect, and in fact I'm a great fan of dialects and such. Other than my teachers, I think of language as something living that changes over time, not something set in stone forever (although I try to use "correct" language on this forum because I don't want to confuse other English learners). Here, I mainly tried to clarify that there's no uncertainty in "would".
Thank you for correcting mistakes!

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2017-04-05, 20:35

Osias wrote:Nature has a special way to deal with the person after me.
Not sure. I notice if I leave while it's raining, it's usually not raining at my destination, so I'm left hauling around a rain jacket I don't need.

The person after me meditates regularly.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2017-04-15, 3:44

I have never meditated in my life thus far.

The person after me is planning to go and relax in a sauna next week.
Please correct my mistakes. I'd really appreciate it ❤

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-04-17, 12:32

Unfortunately, not at all, but if you go, enjoy for me :D

Although it sounds stupid and impossible to every one around him, the person after me loves ironing.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-04-17, 15:11

france-eesti wrote:Unfortunately, not at all, but if you go, enjoyhave fun for me :D

Although it sounds stupid and impossible to every one around him, the person after me loves ironing.

"Love" is too strong, but it can be a relaxing and satisfying thing to do. Though obviously not as relaxing and satisfying as other things, given how rarely I do do it.

The person after me has washboard abs.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-04-17, 18:19

Believe me or not, after diet and exercising, mine are starting to look like "chocolate tablets", as we say in France :D
I've always wanted those but now I'm not far from that, I realize that's ugly on me :hmm:

The person after me thinks bodybuilding is sexy on women.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-04-18, 2:37

france-eesti wrote:Believe me or not*, after diet and exercising, mine are starting to look like "chocolate tablets", as we say in France :D
I've always wanted those but now that I'm not far from that(/it), I realize that's ugly on me :hmm:

*The idiom is believe it or not. I've only seen and I only use believe me with a fuller phrase: you can believe me or not; it doesn't matter to me.

plengfruit

Postby plengfruit » 2017-04-18, 14:01

france-eesti wrote:Believe me or not, after diet and exercising, mine are starting to look like "chocolate tablets", as we say in France :D
I've always wanted those but now I'm not far from that, I realize that's ugly on me :hmm:

The person after me thinks bodybuilding is sexy on women.

To a degree, yes. I like toned chicks. :whistle:

The person after me will tell us what their favorite colour is - and why.
Image Image Image Image Image

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-04-18, 14:50

Maybe blue, I'm not sure why.

The person after me used to beat Deep Blue in chess.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2017-04-18, 15:13

I have looked it up and now I see it's a computer. At first, I thought it was a dolphin :oops: . Anyway, I don't think I would be able to beat Deep Blue.

The person after me likes aquariums.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2017-04-18, 15:26

No, I think fish are so ... boring :oops:

The person after me thinks playing the trumpet is fun
Please correct my mistakes. I'd really appreciate it ❤

Antea

Postby Antea » 2017-04-18, 15:27

I've never tried. But it seems difficult to me.

The person after me has eaten a lot of cake this week-end.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-04-18, 16:03

Antea wrote:The person after me has eaten a lot of cake this week-end.

None at all, though I did have some pie. I think pie's better than cake.

The person after me doesn't know if they've had pie or not because of the confusing way in which English-speakers use this term.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-04-18, 17:13

I can't have pie so I know I didn't have pie, though I think English do salty pies so indeed the question can be asked too... But I'm quite sure I had leek pie last week :D

The person after me would like to be a Lemur Catta in his next life

Return to “English”