the person after me game

Moderator:JackFrost

dEhiN
Re: the person after me game

Postby dEhiN » 2017-06-26, 5:38

Osias wrote:Also, to us the 'y' in youtube is a vowel.

Oh ok. Yeah in English there's an infamous saying "sometimes y" which is used when talking about the English vowels:

- How many vowels are there in English?
- 5...a, e, i, o, u and sometimes y

I'm sure you probably know this already, but remember that when <y> is pronounced like /j/ it's a consonant and when it's pronounced like /i/ it's a vowel. From what I can recall right now, it's generally a /j/ when at the beginning of a syllable and /i/ at the end of a syllable. I don't recall what it's like in the middle of a syllable because I can't think of any words where that's the case.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-06-26, 5:54

Osias wrote:The person after me made muffins and now is too lazy to prepare lunch.

Ah, no, lunch will be ready in a second! Will anchovy salad be okay for everyone?

The person after me has had a plastered limb once his their life.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-06-26, 6:07

france-eesti wrote:Will anchovy salad be okay for everyone?

Depends on what else is in the salad!

france-eesti wrote:The person after me has had a plastered limb once his in their life.

What's a plastered limb? I'm going to assume you mean a limb that's been put in a cast (see here under Noun, #7). If so, it sounds better to say "...has had a cast (on) once..." or "...has had a limb (put) in a cast once...". I'm not too sure about the UK or Australia or New Zealand, but over here in North America, even though casts are made of plaster, the word plaster is mostly used to refer to drywalling material. So a plastered limb doesn't quite make sense; at least initially it would probably confuse many North Americans.

And no, I've never had to wear a cast because I've never broken a bone. I did once have a minor avulsion fracture that I believe was tendon-based. But that fortunately never required me to wear a cast.

What, if any, big lifestyle changes did the person after me recently make?
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-06-26, 9:02

Thanks David! So there is no equivalent for the French "un bras plâtré" or "une jambe plâtrée"?
It just has to be translated by "an arm in a cast" or "a leg in a cast"?

dEhiN wrote:What, if any, big lifestyle changes did the person after me recently make?

Extreme low-carb diet.
Making me quite impopular among my pasta/pizza/burger/chocolate/cookies eater colleagues :D

What would be the person after me's perfect first date with someone they just asked out?
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-06-26, 15:19

france-eesti wrote:Thanks David! So there is no equivalent for the French "un bras plâtré" or "une jambe plâtrée"?
It just has to be translated by "an arm in a cast" or "a leg in a cast"?

Thanks for the new French words (I never knew both the verb and noun for plaster). As for your question, there's no adjective you can use. Generally when the word plaster is used, it's referring (as I said before) to the drywalling material. The full name in English for that material is plaster of Paris. So you can use the adjective plastered to refer to things that have been made from that material, or have that material on it: a plastered cast, a plastered wall. But for body parts, the only thing we say is "something is in a cast".

Making me quite imunpopular among my pasta/pizza/burger/chocolate/cookies eater eating colleagues

It's more natural to use the gerund form of the verb in cases where you're describing someone and you're using the word in front of the noun, as an adjective: he's a gaming wizard. If the describing word is not going in front of a noun, but instead at the end of an "A is B" statement, then you would use the noun form: he's a gamer. So in your sentence above, you could've said "making me quite unpopular among my colleagues who are pasta/pizza/burger/chocolate/cookies eaters".

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2017-06-27, 5:22

france-eesti wrote:
What would be the person after me's perfect first date with someone they just asked out?

My perfect first date would be one that lead to a second, third, ... tenth date.

The person after me has found the love of his/her life.
Please correct my mistakes. I'd really appreciate it ❤

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-06-27, 14:48

She found me, actually, and it took me some time to accept it.

The next person is so hot now they might as well be walking on the sun.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-06-27, 15:00

And so cool you could store a side of beef in me for a week.

The person after me is so cool they even stop for green lights.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-06-27, 15:08

tiuwiu wrote:My perfect first date would be one that leads to a second, third, ... tenth date.

You could also have said "would be one that would lead" and kept both verbs in the conditional.

linguoboy wrote:The person after me is so cool they even stop for green lights.

Only if it's an advanced green and so the pedestrian signal shows a hand instead of a man.

If given the chance, the person after me would gladly accept the ability to control the weather world-wide.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2017-06-27, 15:12

dEhiN wrote:
tiuwiu wrote:My perfect first date would be one that leads to a second, third, ... tenth date.

You could also have said "would be one that would lead" and kept both verbs in the conditional.
I think they meant "led", not "leads". They just made a common hypercorrection based on "read".
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-06-27, 15:15

dEhiN wrote:If given the chance, the person after me would gladly accept the ability to control the weather world-wide.

And be blamed for everything that goes wrong in people's life when it rains or not? Hard pass.

The person after would never sit on the Iron Throne.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Estrella

Postby Estrella » 2017-06-28, 2:34

True. That throne is not worth all the trouble.

The person after me doesn't know what the Iron Throne is. :hmm:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-06-28, 4:08

I didn't when the person before the person before me wrote about it, but I do now because I looked it up when the person before me responded. :D

The person after me thinks that Wikipedia in Simple English is the cat's meow.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2017-06-30, 11:40

I don't know ... maybe it is :noclue: I mostly read the articles in the German version.

The person after me wishes s/he could drive a motorcycle.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-06-30, 14:35

I'd be more interested in riding a motorcyclist.

The person after me knows how to recognise a happy biker.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-07-01, 13:38

She's got a girlfriend on the back seat.

The next person can see the future, like your mama and yourself.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-07-01, 15:07

Osias wrote:She's got a girlfriend on the back seat.[/b]

Usage note: In English it tends (or has tended) to be more common to use "he" to refer to a person in general, and "she" to refer to objects in general. For example, "look at this car, isn't she a beauty?". So in this case, using she to the average English speaker (at least from my experience) would indicate that you're talking about a specific biker whom you happen to know is a woman. Of course in the recent past that's changing and a lot of people now use a gender-inclusive pronoun, the most common of which is "they". Another way to do it, and the way that was used when I grew up, was to use "s/he" or "(s)he" or "he/she": some form of including both 3rd person singular pronouns.

Osias wrote:The next person can see the future, like your mama and yourself.

What do you mean by "like your mama and yourself"? It doesn't seem to fit with the first part of the sentence as an analogy. (Your use of "like" indicates that you're going to use an analogy to describe/illustrate the first part of the sentence.)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-07-02, 1:26

Yes, I used 'she' to indicate that I was talking about a specific biker whom I happen to knew was a woman.

dEhiN wrote:What do you mean by "like your mama and yourself"?

The person that was reading me (and the mama of the person that was reading me) can see the future. The person after me can see the future. One is like the other.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2017-07-02, 10:05

I certainly don't have the ability to see into the future.

The person after me can break the Dorabella Cipher.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-07-02, 12:54

Osias wrote:Yes, I used 'she' to indicate that I was talking about a specific biker whom I happen to knew was know is a woman.

"Whom I happen to" takes the present tense for the verb following (or the present perfect).

Osias wrote:
dEhiN wrote:What do you mean by "like your mama and yourself"?

The person that was reading me (and the mama of the person that was reading me) can see the future. The person after me can see the future. One is like the other.

In that case, I think another way you could say it that might sound less confusing is "The next person can see the future, both their mama and themselves". I think the confusing thing is that you switched subjects from a 3rd person to a 2nd person in the same sentence.

Return to “English”