the person after me game

Moderator:JackFrost

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator
Re: the person after me game

Postby Dormouse559 » 2017-06-13, 19:55

kubik wrote:Could you clarify a bit: does that phrasing imply that the quality of being a literary classic is the reason why I'm not a fan of reading a book or that the quality of being a literary classic is not enough of a reason for me to be a fan of reading it? I was aiming for the latter.
Oh! Sorry, I misunderstood you. Knowing your intended meaning, I'd leave most of what you wrote unchanged and just change "that" to "literary classics".
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-06-14, 11:52

kubik wrote:The person after me can't stand sour cream.

I like sour cream. I use it when I cook Hungarian.

The person after me would love to eat the last donut that is standing alone in my company's coffee room.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-06-15, 1:55

No, thanks, too much carbs.

The person after me is getting colder and colder.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-06-16, 9:06

Actually, it's kind of getting warmer and warmer here.

The person after me doesn't eat peaches because of the texture of their "skin" :?:
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2017-06-17, 4:08

I often eat peaches but I peel them because I dont like the feel of the 'fuzzy' skin in my mouth.

The person after me often makes smoothies in morning.
Please correct my mistakes. I'd really appreciate it ❤

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-06-17, 11:48

france-eesti wrote:I like sour cream. I use it when I cook Hungarian.

I feel like Hungarian, because it's an adjective, doesn't work fully here without something more. I would say "Hungarian food/cuisine/dishes". Though perhaps other English dialects allow for Hungarian by itself since "food/cuisine/dishes" is implied.

france-eesti wrote:The person after me doesn't eat peaches because of the texture of their "skin" :?:

Yeah we'd say skin. I'm not sure what exactly the difference is between peel and skin when it comes to fruits, but bananas/apples/oranges/mandarins/tangerines have peels, while peaches/grapes/plums/berries/pears have skins.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-06-20, 20:14

dEhiN wrote:
france-eesti wrote:I like sour cream. I use it when I cook Hungarian.

I feel like Hungarian, because it's an adjective, doesn't work fully here without something more. I would say "Hungarian food/cuisine/dishes". Though perhaps other English dialects allow for Hungarian by itself since "food/cuisine/dishes" is implied.

Mine, for instance.

Does your dialect not allow, "When I cook Chinese" or "When I cook Indian"? Can you "eat Chinese" or "order Indian"?

dEhiN wrote:Yeah we'd say skin. I'm not sure what exactly the difference is between peel and skin when it comes to fruits, but bananas/apples/oranges/mandarins/tangerines have peels, while peaches/grapes/plums/berries/pears have skins.

I don't think there is a principled difference. The thinner it is, the more likely we are to say "skin" rather than "peel", but this is a matter of frequencies, not absolute distinctions. "Banana peel", for instance, is primarily a North American term; "banana skin" is more common in the UK and elsewhere. I found about 60,000 Ghits for "pear skins" vs about 3,000 for "pear peels"--the preference is clear, but that's still a sizable number of exceptions.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-06-20, 20:17

tiuwiu wrote:The person after me often makes smoothies in morning.

All I want first thing in the morning is my hot black tea.

The person after me knows the difference between a lemon swath and a twist.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-06-21, 9:03

Absolutely not. But thanks for giving me the opportunity to google it - I'll have learned one thing today :)

The person after me's level of energy is lower than usual.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2017-06-21, 16:51

Correct because it's so hot outside. I just want to lay in the shadow and do nothing (expect of drinking something cold).

The person after me never wears short trousers in public.
Please correct my mistakes. I'd really appreciate it ❤

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-06-21, 18:36

Actually I never wear trousers at all :)

The person after me is celebrating the Music Day tonight

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-06-21, 18:56

linguoboy wrote:Does your dialect not allow, "When I cook Chinese" or "When I cook Indian"? Can you "eat Chinese" or "order Indian"?

It does; I'm not sure why "cook Hungarian" sounded odd to me at the time. Perhaps because Chinese, Indian, Greek, and Italian are the most common types of cuisine that are ordered/cooked where we would just say the adjective.

tiuwiu wrote:Correct because it's so hot outside. I just want to lay in the shadows and do nothing (expect of for drinking something cold).

I think it sounds better to say "shadows". Using the singular gives the impression there's maybe one massive shadow, or that you're thinking of a specific shadow. Also, "except for" is, as far as I'm aware, the only phrase that native speakers use. I found a thread at UsingEnglish.com where someone asked about using "except of", and all the responses basically confirmed that we don't use it as a synonym to "except".

france-eesti wrote:The person after me is celebrating the Music Day tonight

We generally don't use an article before a proper noun, and a special day that has a title would be considered a proper noun. We would use an article if you're talking about something specific that is happening on that special day: are you going to the Music Day concert tonight?

And, no I'm not celebrating Music Day tonight because, unfortunately, Music Day isn't a thing here in Canada (or at least in Toronto).

At what temperature does it start to become too hot for the person after me? For example, anything above 35 C is too hot for me.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-06-23, 22:18

I don't know cause I don't have a thermometer.

The person after me used to be a gorilla.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-06-23, 22:39

You may be descended from apes, but I'm not.

The person after me used to be a guerrilla.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-06-24, 9:41

Fortunately I escaped becoming that when my parents chose to emigrate to Canada.

If the person after me had the chance they would eat the 3,000 calorie poutine that used to be at Jack Astor's Bar and Grill?

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-06-24, 15:53

Honestly? :lol:

The person after me would rather eat a big plate of sashimi with me :)

Antea

Postby Antea » 2017-06-24, 18:12

I love sashimi.

The person after me is frequently having issues with their electronical devices.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-06-25, 14:57

Yes, sometimes wifi doesn't work with my desktop pc, while the notebook keeps playing internet radio, what proves is not an internet outage. Sometimes one of them doesn't recognize the video card and boots showing a resolution of 600x400. Sometimes a cell phone doesn't get wifi even if another one is doing fine at its side, sometimes the smart tv stops playing an youtube video out of the blue, and sometimes they reboot for no reason at all.

The person after me made muffins and now is too lazy to prepare lunch.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-06-25, 18:49

Osias wrote:Yes, sometimes the wifi doesn't work with my desktop pc, while the notebook keeps playing internet radio, what which proves it is not an internet outage. Sometimes one of them doesn't recognize the video card and boots showing a resolution of 600x400. Sometimes a cell phone doesn't get wifi even if another one is doing fine at its side, sometimes the smart tv stops playing an youtube video out of the blue, and sometimes they reboot for no reason at all.]

In your first sentence, the article is needed before wifi because you're referring to a specific wifi network. In the next sentence where you use wifi (the one with the cell phone), it's a general statement about a cell phone's wifi signal. Also, I notice a lot of Brazilians do this: "é" in the general sense needs "it" in English.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-06-26, 0:14

Also, to us the 'y' in youtube is a vowel.

Return to “English”