the person after me game

Moderator:JackFrost

dEhiN
Re: the person after me game

Postby dEhiN » 2017-05-23, 15:59

france-eesti wrote:The person after me isn't sure on in which life they are now living, but they believe it may be number 4 or number 5.

I don't believe in reincarnation, so I consider this life to be number 1.

Let's try this again:
Whenever the person after me is talking to someone, they frequently wish that other person knew all the languages they knew*. That way they could code-switch whenever they wanted.

(*Or: "know", if you don't use the subjunctive anymore in English)
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-05-23, 17:17

dEhiN wrote:Whenever the person after me is talking to someone, they frequently wish that other person knew all the languages they knew*. That way they could code-switch whenever they wanted.

:hmm: To me the subjunctive would rather be the first "knew"
they frequently wish that other person knew all the languages they knew (the second one would be indicative, wouldn't it?)

Anyway, no, I think one common language is enough, my husband and I both speak fluently English (and French is our mother-tongue) but we switch only when we don't want kids to understand us (which is now pretty difficult with his son being 14 and studying English)

The person after me is being involved in at least one charity.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-05-23, 18:10

france-eesti wrote:
dEhiN wrote:Whenever the person after me is talking to someone, they frequently wish that other person knew all the languages they knew*. That way they could code-switch whenever they wanted.

:hmm: To me the subjunctive would rather be the first "knew"
they frequently wish that other person knew all the languages they knew (the second one would be indicative, wouldn't it?)

Perhaps; my analysis of TAM especially with regard to English is pretty bad.

Anyway, no, I think one common language is enough, my husband and I both speak fluently English (and French is our mother-tongue) but we switch only when we don't want the kids to understand us (which is now pretty difficult with his son being 14 and studying English)

A note on "speak fluently": most times (I think?) an adverb comes after the verb, but not with "speak". Or at least, not that I've ever seen. So what I've seen and what I use are either "fluently speak English" or "speak fluent English".

This adverb placement also gives rise to a contention between many English teachers, grammarians, proof-readers, etc: "I speak good English" vs "I speak well English". For me, the adjective "good" sounds more grammatical. But there are many for whom the adverb sounds more grammatical.

The person after me is being involved in at least one charity.

"Being" would indicate this exact moment in time (ex. "I am being eaten alive by these mosquitoes"). A general statement doesn't need the progressive.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-05-23, 18:56

dEhiN wrote:A note on "speak fluently": most times (I think?) an adverb comes after the verb, but not with "speak". Or at least, not that I've ever seen. So what I've seen and what I use are either "fluently speak English" or "speak fluent English".

This adverb placement also gives rise to a contention between many English teachers, grammarians, proof-readers, etc: "I speak good English" vs "I speak well English". For me, the adjective "good" sounds more grammatical. But there are many for whom the adverb sounds more grammatical.

I don't know any fluent native speakers for whom "I speak well English" sounds idiomatic.

Personally, I find the most natural-sounding formulation to be "I speak English fluently". Compare "She plays soccer professionally" (would you really prefer "She professionally plays soccer"?) or "You listen to jazz passionately" ("You listen to passionate jazz" doesn't have the same meaning).

france-eesti wrote:The person after me is involved in at least one charity.

Depends what you mean by "involved". I've donated to charities before but I don't do any volunteer work for any.

The person after me spends at least an hour a week helping L2 speakers learn their most fluent language.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-05-23, 19:27

linguoboy wrote:
dEhiN wrote:A note on "speak fluently": most times (I think?) an adverb comes after the verb, but not with "speak". Or at least, not that I've ever seen. So what I've seen and what I use are either "fluently speak English" or "speak fluent English".

I don't know any fluent native speakers for whom "I speak well English" sounds idiomatic.

Personally, I find the most natural-sounding formulation to be "I speak English fluently". Compare "She plays soccer professionally" (would you really prefer "She professionally plays soccer"?) or "You listen to jazz passionately" ("You listen to passionate jazz" doesn't have the same meaning).

My apologies; instead of "I speak well English" it should be "I speak English well". And yeah, I agree with you that placing the adverb before the verb doesn't sound quite natural. It is grammatical as far as I know, and I could see a phrase like "she professionally plays soccer" being used in an article. But intuitively I feel like if that phrase was used, it would be to contrast something, most likely the level at which she plays soccer. Personally, I think I tend to prefer using the adjective: I speak fluent English; she plays professional soccer. Like in your last example, when the adjective would give a different meaning, I'll go with putting the adverb at the end of the clause or after the indirect/direct object.

I was just thinking about that last example, and I would accept "you passionately listen to jazz" as natural-sounding, albeit not my first choice of wording. For example, the questions "you passionately listen to jazz, don't you?" and "you're passionate when you listen to jazz, aren't you?" mean the same thing to me, in essence at least. Of course they both have different sentence structures, but replacing "you are passionate" with "you passionately" works for me.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-05-23, 19:31

dEhiN wrote:I was just thinking about that last example, and I would accept "you passionately listen to jazz" as natural-sounding, albeit not my first choice of wording. For example, the questions "you passionately listen to jazz, don't you?" and "you're passionate when you listen to jazz, aren't you?" mean the same thing to me, in essence at least. Of course they both have different sentence structures, but replacing "you are passionate" with "you passionately" works for me.

"You passionately listen to jazz" works for me as well, but "You're passionate when you listen to jazz" introduces ambiguity. Imagine someone saying "Next time we make love, play jazz. You're passionate when you listen to jazz." Not the same meaning, is it?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-05-23, 19:34

linguoboy wrote:"You passionately listen to jazz" works for me as well, but "You're passionate when you listen to jazz" introduces ambiguity. Imagine someone saying "Next time we make love, play jazz. You're passionate when you listen to jazz." Not the same meaning, is it?

Fair enough!

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2017-05-27, 23:13

I personally am trying to teach my language to the others, but I can't guarantee if I can teach properly or not...

The next person is really hating to eat raw fish.
native: (tr)
advanced: (en) (el)
intermediate: (fr) (ka)
focus: (de) (sl) (hr)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-05-28, 4:50

Elaine wrote:I personally am trying to teach my language to the others, but I can't guarantee if I can teach properly or not...

It sounds more natural to me to say "I can't guarantee if I'll teach properly or not", or "I can't guarantee if I'll be able to teach properly or not". But I'm not sure if using "can" is grammatically wrong; perhaps Dormouse or linguoboy can add their thoughts.

Elaine wrote:The next person is really hatinghates to eat raw fish.

Remember that because you're talking about a general or possibly repeated action, you need to use the simple present. The present progressive would work if you used a time phrase to indicate it's the present moment: The next person is really hating this raw fish right now.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2017-05-28, 18:21

Thanks dEhiN and Dormouse559

-

If you count pickled and marinated fish as raw fish, then I like to eat raw fish.

The person after me is sad because tomorrow is Monday.
Please correct my mistakes. I'd really appreciate it ❤

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2017-05-28, 18:40

I am not sad but happy because of it will be monday.

The person who is coming after me is learning in the same time at least seven languages.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2017-05-28, 18:59

No, I'm currently learning two languages.

The person after me is eating something right now.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-05-28, 19:09

Elaine wrote:I am not sad but happy because of it will be monday.

The person who is coming after me is learning in at the same time at least seven languages.

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2017-05-28, 23:54

No, I'm not eating anything right now.

The person after me prefers to live at home instead to go abroad.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-05-29, 8:26

Elaine wrote:The person after me prefers to live at home instead to of going abroad.

When we want to say someone prefers to do or does something in place of something else, we use "instead of". And in this case, because of the preposition you need to change the verb "go" to "going".

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-05-29, 13:19

Elaine wrote:The person after me prefers to live at home instead to go abroad.

I've only lived aboard once in my life, it was in Portugal and it was just very great. Right now I have a family life that makes me remain in France but as no one can predict the future, no one can say if I won't find myself in Eastern Hungary or in Southern Estonian in the next 20 years...

What was the person after me's favourite subject in high school?
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2017-05-29, 17:28

I really loved the breaks between lessons :whistle:

The person after me rode a bicycle today.

kotrcka

Postby kotrcka » 2017-05-29, 18:37

No, I do not have any bicycle here at the moment but I really loved to ride back then, when I lived in Slovakia.

The person after me does have a night shifts at work.

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2017-05-29, 21:21

How may I even have a night shift if I don't work?

The person after me hates the fact that Trump has become the president of the United States.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2017-05-30, 5:56

dEhiN wrote:
Elaine wrote:The person who is coming after me is learning in at the same time at least seven languages.
In addition, this sounds better to me as "The person who is coming after me is learning at least seven languages at the same time."

france-eesti wrote:I've only lived abroad once in my life; it was in Portugal and it was just very great. Right now I have a family life that makes me remain keeps me in France but as no one can predict the future, no one can say if I won't find myself in Eastern Hungary or in Southern Estonian in the next 20 years...
"Just very great" has too many adverbs. I thought about just deleting one adverb, but "very great" sounds clunky and "just great" can actually sound sarcastic, so I think "great" on its own is enough.

kotrcka wrote:No, I do not have any a bicycle here at the moment but I really loved to ride back then, in the day, when I lived in Slovakia.
"Back then" refers to a time that has been mentioned earlier; since a time hasn't been specified, "back then" is confusing. If you want to, you can replace "back then" with "back in the day". It depends on how long ago you lived in Slovakia. If it was a long time ago, "back in the day" works. Either way, "back then" should be deleted.

kotrcka wrote:The person after me does have a night shifts at work.
There are a lot ways to correct this sentence; it depends on the exact shade of meaning you wanted:

The person after me has a night shift at work.
The person after me has the night shift at work.
The person after me has night shifts at work.
The person after me does a night shift at work.
The person after me does the night shift at work.
The person after me does night shifts at work.

"Does have" is grammatically correct, but it implies that someone has said previously they don't have a night shift. Since that didn't happen, "does have" is confusing.

Elaine wrote:How may could I even have a night shift if I don't work?
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Return to “English”