Your origins

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Bijlee
Re: Your origins

Postby Bijlee » 2012-09-17, 4:13

[Removed]
Last edited by Bijlee on 2016-08-20, 2:05, edited 1 time in total.

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2012-09-18, 0:29

I don't respect my distant origins. French and Cypriot Greek are just too difficult for me, I have no motivation to learn them. I liked Belgium more than France, but I'm more likely to learn Flemish than French. French nasals make my nose hurt. :( Oh well, I have already 7 focus accents/dialects (see my signature), and that's more than enough for the next 10 years. :para:
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति
learning in 2019: (no-nn)

Thorvald

Postby Thorvald » 2012-10-11, 15:26

Swiss/French from my father's side , and Hungarian from my mother's side
Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash.
Be water my friend!

Limagne

Postby Limagne » 2012-10-12, 16:25

Italian-Tunisian, like Claudia Cardinale :) A lot of my relatives have Sicilian and Tunisian Arabic as their native languages but French is the family's lingua franca.

But the truth is, I don't really care about my origins and I identify myself more with Auvergne, the place where I live.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2012-10-12, 17:04

Ciarán12 wrote:Just Irish. It would be cool if I found out I had some ancestry from somewhere else, but I know that all the members of my family for the last 4 or 5 generations were Irish, and the further back you go, the less likely it is that they came from anywhere else.

I don't know about that. The historical record shows that a lot of foreigners came to settle in Ireland over the years. Both my partner and one of my friends are descended from German Protestants resettled from the Palatinate to Munster (Tipperary, in my partner's case) in the wake of the Cromwellian conquest as part of an attempt to wean the locals off of their vile Papist ways. (Instead, my partner's family ended up Catholic.) Before that, there were Vikings and Normans and the English of the Pale. One of the traditional septs of Munster is even supposed to have originated in what is now Belgium!
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Ciarán12

Postby Ciarán12 » 2012-10-12, 18:43

linguoboy wrote:I don't know about that. The historical record shows that a lot of foreigners came to settle in Ireland over the years. Both my partner and one of my friends are descended from German Protestants resettled from the Palatinate to Munster (Tipperary, in my partner's case) in the wake of the Cromwellian conquest as part of an attempt to wean the locals off of their vile Papist ways. (Instead, my partner's family ended up Catholic.)

Hmm, that does seem odd. I wonder how they know what their heritage is (past "coming from Ireland"), do they have German names in the family? I don't have any exotic names in mine, and I'm not sure how far back I can trace my roots. Obviously, it's not impossible that I'm, say, part Hungarian or something, but everything I can find out about my family leads me to believe it's a typical Irish family.

linguoboy wrote:Before that, there were Vikings and Normans and the English of the Pale.

Having historically settled in Ireland more or less en masse, I would lump those into the genetic stew called "Irish".

linguoboy wrote:One of the traditional septs of Munster is even supposed to have originated in what is now Belgium!

Now that's surprising! Although, there are plenty of "Flemming"s in Ireland, a second name descriptive of someone from Flanders.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2012-10-12, 18:57

Ciarán12 wrote:Hmm, that does seem odd. I wonder how they know what their heritage is (past "coming from Ireland"), do they have German names in the family? I don't have any exotic names in mine, and I'm not sure how far back I can trace my roots. Obviously, it's not impossible that I'm, say, part Hungarian or something, but everything I can find out about my family leads me to believe it's a typical Irish family.

My partner's folk were Smeltzers, which is pretty blatantly German. But my friend is a Hite, and it never occured to me before he mentioned it that this was an anglicisation of "Heydt".

Ciarán12 wrote:
linguoboy wrote:Before that, there were Vikings and Normans and the English of the Pale.

Having historically settled in Ireland more or less en masse, I would lump those into the genetic stew called "Irish".

Fair enough. The point was Ireland has as long a history of immigration as emigration.

Ciarán12 wrote:
linguoboy wrote:One of the traditional septs of Munster is even supposed to have originated in what is now Belgium!

Now that's surprising! Although, there are plenty of "Flemming"s in Ireland, a second name descriptive of someone from Flanders.

These would've been Celts who left before the Flemmings arrived.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Vertigo

Postby Vertigo » 2012-10-26, 15:34

linguoboy wrote:Both my partner and one of my friends are descended from German Protestants resettled from the Palatinate to Munster (Tipperary, in my partner's case) in the wake of the Cromwellian conquest as part of an attempt to wean the locals off of their vile Papist ways.

I didn't know that! I thought settlement had been restricted to protestants from the Sceptered Isle...

I'm Half-English (with a smattering of Welsh and Edinburgh/Lowland Scots) on my mother's side, and half-Greek (Athenian) on my father's. My mother's surname is in the Doomsday Book, but apparently the family was (re-)introduced to England by Huguenots fleeing persecution in France/Belgium in the 16th century.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2012-10-26, 15:45

Vertigo wrote:I'm Half-English (with a smattering of Welsh and Edinburgh/Lowland Scots) on my mother's side, and half-Greek (Athenian) on my father's.

What are the other respective halves?

Vertigo

Postby Vertigo » 2012-10-29, 1:09

linguoboy wrote:What are the other respective halves?

To clarify :oops: : I'm 50% English through my mother, and 50% Greek (oπά...?) through my father. Parents are both "100%" examples of their respective national genealogies. So there be no more halves.

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-01-20, 16:30

My mom's Czech and my dad's German, Welsh, English, Dutch, and Czech... I think. I'm not too sure about the percentages.

Hydrosoul

Postby Hydrosoul » 2013-05-13, 16:19

I'm a mix of a lot of things. On my mom's side I'm at least a quarter German since her mother was originally from Stalsund. She met my grandpa, who was a U.S. soldier, when he was in Germany at the time. My grandpa was basically a mix of English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh, with dashes of Italian, French, German and Swiss found in there.
On my dad's side I am largely Slovak, Polish, Austrian and Dutch, but there's also quite a bit we don't know. It's assumed to probably be English, but can't say for sure. Supposedly his great grandmother had Cherokee in her, but I don't think it was much considering neither of us look Native American. x3

I'm just an American mutt, I guess. :)
[flag]fr-QC[/flag][flag]he[/flag][flag]ru[/flag][flag]ja[/flag][flag]ko[/flag]

Lur

Postby Lur » 2013-05-13, 22:01

I don't really know about the procedence of my dad's parents know that I think about it. I think there are ties with Portugal somewhere.

My mum's dad was from the Catalan speaking side of Huesca (for those who don't know that's right below the Pyrenees). My mum's mum was from right the other side of the mountains in France (or the Occitania, depending of how you look at it). They both had the same rare surname, incidentally.

I have no idea about my great-grandparents.
Geurea dena lapurtzen uzteagatik, geure izaerari uko egiteagatik.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2013-05-14, 7:43

nimekirjast999 wrote:
globetrottersara wrote:I think I'm 100% Italian. This being said, Italians are such a big mix :wink:

Mhh..No. The main haplogroups in Italy are three and their percentages are allocated alongside a peninsular south-north gradient which seems to be pretty regular. That said, the most advanced studies on genetic variations show the existence of a real Italian cluster within Europe. Italians (even the Italian speakers from Ticino) are quite distinguished from the rest of the Europeans: only Finns are more. Italian ancestry is genetically pretty predictable within Europe. :wink:

That's interesting, given the linguistic differences. The main split in Romance languages according to one measure runs straight through the north of Tuscany, dividing the "Eastern" Tuscan (=Italian) from the "Western" Ligurian and Emilian.

Are Sards, Corsicans and Sicilians included in this, or is this just for the Peninsula? I would imagine at least Sards could be quite different to people in the Peninsula, although probably similar to Corsican people.

Luke wrote:My mum's dad was from the Catalan speaking side of Huesca (for those who don't know that's right below the Pyrenees).

Tens ascendència catalana (=del domini etnolingüístic català, no de la Communitat Autònoma Catalana o CAC)? Primera notícia, eh! :P

My mum's mum was from right the other side of the mountains in France (or the Occitania, depending of how you look at it). They both had the same rare surname, incidentally.

I gascona també? Representes totes dues nacionalitats històriques de la CAC. ;)

Por cierto, eres andaluz no? Pero has vivido en Aragón también? (Perdona la ignorancia, es que no me acuerdo :) ).

Levike

Postby Levike » 2013-05-14, 12:54

Many people assume that I'm Sächsisch German because of my name "Maier". :D
And I don't know about any German Great Grandpa.

Both of my parents are 50% Romanian and 50% Hungarian so me too.

But since Hungarian was our first language, we consider ourselves to be part of that ethnicity.

Lur

Postby Lur » 2013-05-15, 3:33

Saim wrote:
Luke wrote:My mum's dad was from the Catalan speaking side of Huesca (for those who don't know that's right below the Pyrenees).

Tens ascendència catalana (=del domini etnolingüístic català, no de la Communitat Autònoma Catalana o CAC)? Primera notícia, eh! :P

¡Ajá! En realidad, ahora no estoy seguro de si mi abuelo era de la Franja o directamente de Lleida. Igual me estoy confundiendo porque mi madre sí que es de Huesca. En todo caso, sí que tengo familia catalana por ahí.

Mi abuelo hablaba catalán, mi madre no lo habla pero todavía lo entiende perfectamente.

Saim wrote:
My mum's mum was from right the other side of the mountains in France (or the Occitania, depending of how you look at it). They both had the same rare surname, incidentally.

I gascona també? Representes totes dues nacionalitats històriques de la CAC. ;)

Mi abuela hablaba francés, aunque aprendió castellano muy bien. En casa de mi madre en Huesca se hablaba catalán, francés, y castellano rural aragonesizado. :lol:

Cuando busco la frecuencia de las diferentes variaciones del apellido de mis abuelos los resultados salen muy concentrados por Cataluña y Aragón, un poco menos por Navarra y tal. No he mirado en Francia pero supongo que será lo mismo, pirenaico y tal.

Saim wrote:Por cierto, eres andaluz no? Pero has vivido en Aragón también? (Perdona la ignorancia, es que no me acuerdo :) ).

Soy andaluz, ahora estudio en Zaragoza :)

Saim

Postby Saim » 2013-05-15, 14:38

Interesante esta historia. Por cierto, estás empadronado ahí? Votas? Eres más de Izquierda Unida o de la Chunta? O quién sabe, tal vez seas del PP. :lol:

Antimás, ya fablas a luenga? O no mica? :P

Garethw87

Postby Garethw87 » 2013-05-15, 17:56

My dads side about 4 generations back is from Nancy, France. Supposedly my surname is Norman in origin

My mums side as far as im aware is English, although way way back the surname is German
TIKAI RIGA
Native:[flag=]en-GB[/flag] - Full time:[flag=]fr[/flag][flag=]de[/flag] - Casual:[flag=]yue.hant[/flag] - Eventually:[flag=]lv[/flag][flag=]lu[/flag][flag=]zh[/flag]

Lur

Postby Lur » 2013-05-16, 6:07

Saim wrote:Interesante esta historia. Por cierto, estás empadronado ahí? Votas? Eres más de Izquierda Unida o de la Chunta? O quién sabe, tal vez seas del PP. :lol:

¿Te imaginas que fuera del PP?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxUNZxD5sgw

Saim wrote:Antimás, ya fablas a luenga? O no mica? :P

No me he puesto aún :oops: Aunque he leído cosas en aragonés, la wikipedia, el periódico aquel, algunos textos que he encontrado, etc.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2013-05-16, 15:18

My dad actually sent his DNA to one of these ancestry tracking services. I think this is his new pensioner's hobby. Every time I see him he gives me new reports on whatever famous people we're now linked to somehow. :lol:
Last edited by Varislintu on 2013-11-17, 19:39, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Culture”