Your origins

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

PiotrR
Re: Your origins

Postby PiotrR » 2013-12-04, 10:11

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNO
Last edited by PiotrR on 2014-04-01, 22:45, edited 1 time in total.

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-12-18, 21:47

PiotrR wrote:Apart from that, everyone else in my family is from southern Poland - as far as I know. I'm not really into that kind of information, maybe if I dug deeper I'd find out more. Perhaps one day I'll do it.
Huh. If I understand your characterization of yourself correctly, I'm the opposite. I like being able to say I have blood from such and such a country or ethnic group (I have distant Finnish and Ashkenazi Jewish ancestors, for example), but in terms of actually learning about the individual people, I couldn't care much less.

PiotrR

Postby PiotrR » 2013-12-18, 21:50

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNO

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-12-19, 1:19

PiotrR wrote:This whole Ukrainian thing came to me totally by accident :P I think it was the surprise that made me remember it.
Yeah, that's how it was when I found out I'm part Arab and Persian. My thick, threatening eyebrows and slightly large nose finally made sense. Is the Ukraine really seen as that exotic by the average Pole, though?

PiotrR

Postby PiotrR » 2013-12-19, 1:45

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNO

unikko

Postby unikko » 2013-12-20, 13:52

I used to think that my family is totally Polish, but most people with my surname live in Belarus and Ukraine so it's very probably that my roots are connected with East Slavic people.
[flag=]en[/flag][flag=]de[/flag][flag=]ru[/flag][flag=]fi[/flag][flag=]hu[/flag][flag=]mhr[/flag][flag=]smi[/flag][flag=]udm[/flag][flag=]ain[/flag][flag=]en_old[/flag]

samarqand

Postby samarqand » 2013-12-27, 14:46

DAD: English [flag=]en[/flag], from Leicestershire
Dad's family: Both parents are from around the Leicestershire area, and going back they all come from the same area, and some surrounding counties like Derbyshire.

MUM: Australian [flag=]en-au[/flag]
Mum's family: My grandma (who died when I was two) didn't have a father written on her birth certificate, so I honestly don't know anything about his side. However there is a possibility he may have been of Spanish [flag=]es[/flag] descent, but we'll never know for sure :( Grandma's mum was born in Australia as far as I know, we don't know much about her either.

On mum's dad's side (my grandpa) I have Prussian German [flag=]prg[/flag][flag=]de[/flag] ancestry, which I think is really cool. My research led me to find that most of the towns my family were once from, when it was the Kingdom of Prussia, are now part of modern day Poland, primarily in Lubusz Voivodeship (Lubuskie Province). My family were German Lutherans and the majority of them emigrated to South Australia to escape religious persecution in the early to mid-1800s. I am also distantly related to Austrian [flag=]de-at[/flag] composer Franz Schubert. He is my 1st cousin, 6 times removed! One day I will go to Vienna, and visit his grave :)
Last edited by samarqand on 2013-12-28, 8:28, edited 2 times in total.
.............Fluent in: Australian English (en-au)
.............Learning: Turkish (tr)
.......Knowledge of: German (de), Uzbek (uz), Hindi (hi)
.......Fascinated by: Arabic (ar), Persian (fa), Russian (ru), Spanish (es), Turkic languages (Uyghur (ug),Kyrgyz (ky) etc)

kerti

Postby kerti » 2013-12-28, 2:47

From what we can tell, my mother is 100% English, my father 100% Irish!

I was raised in and live in England, and whilst I feel a tug towards my 'Irish' side, I've never lived in or visited Ireland much, so I'd class myself as 100% English. Calling myself half Irish would be being a poser (is that the right word?), I think.

Krzysiek_CL

Postby Krzysiek_CL » 2014-02-17, 12:48

Father's side:
Mainly Spaniard. I have got a greatmother who hailed from Catalonia, but most of them hailed from differents parts of Spain and arrived to Chile during the late 19th-early 20th centuries. A greatgrandfather (who allegedly worked as a physician at a ship) was a Spaniard who arrived in Peru, had 3 sons and sent off each of them to study in 3 Southern American countries: Chile, Peru and Bolivia. The one who was sent off to Chile established himself in Concepción (city in the South of Chile, which is very conservative), and in that city is where my father was born and raised, until he moved to Santiago for studies and work.

Mother's side:
I don't have many info as my grandfather was born out of wedlock (despite being recognized by his father), but my mother's side of the family has French-Basque and Spanish roots. The French-Basque roots are very strong in family (despite none of us speak either of those languages) in the sense that my grandparents are low-scale farmers, and their fathers were also ones, and so on. My grandfather still makes his own txakoli and wine for family consumption (not to mention that all of us inherited the "Basque temper"). It is quite likely that their ancestors immigrated to Chile during the mid 19th-century (as many French-Basque farmers arrived to Chile during that time), and they settled in Doñihue (a village near Rancagua). But, unlike most of them who became quickly urbanized and married the local elite, my family remained low scale farmers until my mother's generation.

I often think that I may have had some Asian background (due to my eyes), but I haven't got any info about it.

Lazar Taxon

Postby Lazar Taxon » 2014-02-17, 16:08

Mother's side:

My grandmother came from a Welsh Romani family (with some Welsh and Anglo-Norman ancestry) living in Denbighshire and Shropshire. By the time she was born, the family was trying to pass, and she self-identified as English. She mostly grew up in Blackpool, and came to the US as a war bride in 1946. My cousins on her side all live in England.

My grandfather was Irish (via Waterford) on his father's side and Scottish (via Glasgow) on his mother's side, with evidence of Celtic-speaking ancestors on both sides. He was born in Massachusetts and met my grandmother while serving in England during the war. My cousins on his side mostly live here in the US.

Father's side:

My grandfather came from a Jewish village near Zhitomir in Ukraine; sometime after the Revolution, he deserted from the army and fled across the Dniester. My grandmother came from a middle-class Jewish family in Kishinev; they moved first to Bucharest, then to Palestine, then to Massachusetts where my father was born. My grandmother had a secular education and spoke Yiddish, Russian, English and possibly Romanian; my grandfather was very religious and was only fluent in Yiddish. (They both died before I was born.) My cousins on my father's side mostly live here in the US, but I've heard that there were some who found their way to Azerbaijan and Argentina.

Based on my upbringing, I feel a cultural affinity for Ashkenazi Jews and for the British Isles in general. I tend to feel like "the Jewish one" in a group of non-Jews and "the goyish one" in a group of Jews, although in neither case have I met with any hostility.
Native: [flag=]en-us[/flag] Good: [flag=]es[/flag] [flag=]fr[/flag] Okay: [flag=]de[/flag] [flag=]la[/flag] Beginning: [flag=]it[/flag] Interested in: [flag=]he[/flag] [flag=]hi[/flag] [flag=]ru[/flag]

Today we are cats in the apocalypse!

Matt/terrapod

Postby Matt/terrapod » 2014-03-15, 6:39

Mom's side:
Croat, My great-grandfather immigrated during the 30's

Dad's side:
Mexican, my grandparents were born in Mexico and Texas then came over to California
My granndma's grandfather I believe was from Spain

Saaropean

Postby Saaropean » 2015-09-06, 2:47

I have continued my genealogical research in the meantime. From information I found on-line (Don't trust genealogists—especially on the Internet), I now have a link between a village 6 km from where I used to live as a teenager (in Germany) and a village 7 km from where i live now (in Canada).

The story starts with a man called Jean Bourbon, allegedly an illegitimate descendant of King Henry IV of France, who went to the French-occupied Duchy of Lorraine. When he was 22, he married a local woman called Marie Marguerite and had a few children with her. Six or seven years later, Jean emigrated to the colony of Canada. There he married a Montrealer called Marie Anne and had a few children with her. He died in 1690, only 37 years old.

From the sources I have found, this is what happened on the North American side of the family: Jean and Marie Anne had a daughter named Barbe whose descendants all lived in the Montréal/Montérégie area. Barbe's great-great-great-great-great-grandson was Robert Bourassa, Premier of Québec 1970-1976 and 1985-1994.

On the European side of the family, Jean and Marie Marguerite had a daughter named Maria Georgia who became one of the first settlers of Friedrichweiler, a village at the Nassau-Lorraine border named after Count Frederick Louis of Nassau-Saarbrücken. Maria Georgia's descendants all lived in a 10-km radius around Friedrichweiler, until my grandmother (born in the same year as Robert Bourassa) moved to another part of Saarland.

I have no idea why Jean left Lorraine or if the story is even remotely true. Ah, the mysteries of genealogy...

Vlürch

Postby Vlürch » 2015-09-06, 6:06

My dad's father and his father were from Savo, my mum's father was from Karelia; I forgot where her mother is from, although that's the only side of the family that there are actual records of. At some distant point in the past, some of her ancestors were Swedish nobles or something (but that's really common because Sweden literally raped Finland in the middle ages), other than that I have no idea aside from apparently having some Native American ancestry as well. I really doubt it, though, because how in the shit could that even happen? I mean, it'd be awesome, but... you know... it just seems impossible.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-09-06, 7:54

I've gone into my history before ^^ But for the sake of the thread:

My dad's side is fairly simple: both Cree parents with my paternal grandpa being some English, so I got about 1/8 English in me. Dunno what village or whatever though.

My mom's side's a little more complicated (relatively): my maternal grandma (biological) was Cree :) and her mom was Cree :D with my great-grandpa being Métis (half-Cree :mrgreen: , half-French). My grandpa was Italian ( :mrgreen: :partyhat: ), and was born in Genova (some village nearby the metropolis), and we have relatives who live in other parts of Northern Italy (particularly on that line I forget the name of, for example, I think I have a grand-aunt who lives in Parma or nearby). Also interesting, he even told my mom that it's highly likely we have Etruscan relations, since where he's from is so close to ancient Etruria (if not within). So it just makes me even more interested in the Etruscans :mrgreen:

Anyways, I think it's funny how despite how much Cree blood I have, I still am more enthusiastic about my Italian lineage. Perhaps because I never really got in touch with my mom's aunts in Alberta. We only ever visited my grandparents. We still can go to Alberta and see them, though, but I don't think that's a probable future.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-09-06, 14:44

Vlürch wrote:I have no idea aside from apparently having some Native American ancestry as well. I really doubt it, though, because how in the shit could that even happen? I mean, it'd be awesome, but... you know... it just seems impossible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leif_Erikson

iodalach93

Postby iodalach93 » 2015-09-06, 15:34

Koko wrote:My mom's side's a little more complicated (relatively): my maternal grandma (biological) was Cree :) and her mom was Cree :D with my great-grandpa being Métis (half-Cree :mrgreen: , half-French). My grandpa was Italian ( :mrgreen: :partyhat: ), and was born in Genova (some village nearby the metropolis), and we have relatives who live in other parts of Northern Italy (particularly on that line I forget the name of, for example, I think I have a grand-aunt who lives in Parma or nearby). Also interesting, he even told my mom that it's highly likely we have Etruscan relations, since where he's from is so close to ancient Etruria (if not within). So it just makes me even more interested in the Etruscans :mrgreen:

We might share some Etruscan blood, Jon! My father's family comes entirely from North-Western Etruria (in modern terms, Pisa and its neighbouring areas). I might do some surname research if you're interested ;)

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2015-09-06, 16:07

Koko wrote:My grandpa was Italian ( :mrgreen: :partyhat: ), and was born in Genova

So do you like pesto?
Are you stingy? :mrgreen:

iodalach93

Postby iodalach93 » 2015-09-06, 17:27

Youngfun wrote:
Koko wrote:My grandpa was Italian ( :mrgreen: :partyhat: ), and was born in Genova

So do you like pesto?

:mrgreen: :haha:

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-09-06, 17:38

iodalach93 wrote:We might share some Etruscan blood, Jon! My father's family comes entirely from North-Western Etruria (in modern terms, Pisa and its neighbouring areas). I might do some surname research if you're interested ;)

Ooh, I'd be very interested! Whose last name would you need; mine or my grandpa's (or both)?

Youngfun wrote:So do you like pesto?

I've hardly had anything pesto, but I remember liking it ^^ But not very stingy. I can't hold onto money long once it's in my hands :lol: I immediately go out to get at least one thing of chocolate. Is stinginess a Genovese stereotype?

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-09-06, 17:39

Koko wrote:Is stinginess a Genovese stereotype?

:yep:

Return to “Culture”