Your origins

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Michael
Re: Your origins

Postby Michael » 2015-09-06, 17:58

I've posted here before, but I saved up some money for a cheap DNA test a year ago, and found out that I have 12% American Indigenous ancestry (along with 72% "Western European").
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

iodalach93

Postby iodalach93 » 2015-09-06, 23:33

Koko wrote:
iodalach93 wrote:We might share some Etruscan blood, Jon! My father's family comes entirely from North-Western Etruria (in modern terms, Pisa and its neighbouring areas). I might do some surname research if you're interested ;)

Ooh, I'd be very interested! Whose last name would you need; mine or my grandpa's (or both)?

I wrote you a PM ;)

Saaropean

Postby Saaropean » 2015-09-24, 11:15

Finally I know my percentages. :mrgreen:
For each branch of my family tree, I looked at the oldest known birth place (or at least the town where they married—or died), and I weighed this by the "blood factor": 1/8 for great-grandparents, 1/16 for great-great-grandparents, up to 1/8388608 for very distant ancestors.

39% are unknown. But from what I've seen, it is safe to assume most spouses came from neighbouring villages. Because borders change all the time, I only considered today's.

So voilà my percentages:
I am 86% German, 13% French, 1% other European.
Within [flag=]de[/flag], it's 84% Saarland, 10% Rhineland-Palatinate (mostly KIB, WIL, EMS), 6% Lower Saxony (Emsland only), 1% Baden-Württemberg (which sums up to 101% because of rounding).
Within [flag=]fr[/flag], it's 88% Moselle, and 89% of that are from the arrondissement de Forbach-Boulay at the Saar border. Most of the others come from the Nancy area or Picardy.

A combination of the coat of arms of the above mentioned regions:
The red cross stands for Kurtrier, not England.

I also have 0.03% blue blood, being an illegitimate descendant of French royalty thanks to three ancestors of mine who were more or less each other's cousins. :lol:

sennacherib

Postby sennacherib » 2016-06-27, 6:51

Both of my parents and grandparents are Chinese. So I guess I'm just 100% Chinese if not going too further to my ancestry.
Alles im Leben hat seinen Sinn.

uzferry

Postby uzferry » 2016-06-27, 8:14

I wish I knew my origins :) my mother and grandparents from mother's side are Lithuanians as far as I know, and that's probably true for 4-5 generations from my mother's side.
However, I have doubts about my dad being Lithuanian. I don't actually know him at all and mother doesn't want to talk about him, but he has a very dark skin for an average Lithuanian, just as his parents, and his last name is uncommon too (as far as I know it derives from some Hebrew word). That's all I know, maybe I should do some kind of test one day too :yep:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-07-01, 22:23

uzferry wrote:my mother and grandparents from mother's side are Lithuanians as far as I know, and that's probably true for 4-5 generations from my mother's side.

Is there any particular reason why you specifically say "4-5 generations"? Do you know where your ancestors might have come from six generations ago?

uzferry

Postby uzferry » 2016-07-01, 22:45

vijayjohn wrote:
uzferry wrote:my mother and grandparents from mother's side are Lithuanians as far as I know, and that's probably true for 4-5 generations from my mother's side.

Is there any particular reason why you specifically say "4-5 generations"? Do you know where your ancestors might have come from six generations ago?

Based on what my grandma told me, her grandparents were born in Lithuania, just as my grandpa's. So that's probably 4 generations counting from me. Or is it 5?
And I don't know about anything earlier than that

Atluk

Postby Atluk » 2016-07-05, 13:51

I got alot in me and don't even know which is the majority.

My father's side is mostly Scottish and my aunt claims that I have Iroquois in me and said my great great great great grandma was a full blooded Iroquois who was kicked out of a tribe and married a white man, but my uncle researched our heritage and never said anything about Iroquois, only the Scottish.

My mother's side is probably also Scottish, but last time she said Irish, so they were probably Ulster Scots. I also have a lot of French on that side as well and they are all pretty solidly Protestant, so maybe they descended from Huguenots or something. There is also German in that side and very small portions of Cherokee and Jewish.

Return to “Culture”