Forum Song Contest 55 (January 2017)

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderators: Global Moderators, Forum Administrators

france-eesti

Forum Song Contest 55 (January 2017)

Postby france-eesti » 2017-01-05, 14:54

Happy new Year Unilang! Let's start a fresh year and fresh FSC! :partyhat:
So, better late than never, you can post your songs right now! We'll make this January contest shortish so as to start February's on time :-)

Voting system in short:
1 round, 6 favorites: 7-5-4-3-2-1 points, 2 extra points for own song.

The nomination rules:
•Every registered Unilanger may nominate
•A user must not nominate more than 1 song (first nomination counts)
•There must not be more than 1 nomination per language (first nomination counts)
•You may nominate a song in any language, regardless of the languages you speak
•National or regional variants of the same language count as different languages
•Additionally, one non-language song (instrumental or without meaningful lyrics) is allowed
•When nominating, you must submit the following information: name of the language, name of the song, name of the artist(s), link to a video/MP3 accessible without registering
•Songs that participated in previous contests must not be nominated
•Check here to see the flag codes for your language

The voting rules:
•Every registered Unilanger may vote
•To vote, send me a PM with your 6 favourites ordered by your preference
•Each user's favourite song will receive 7 points, #2: 5 points, #3: 4 points, #4: 3 points, #5: 2 points, #6: 1 point
•A user must not vote more than once (last vote counts)
•Participants are not allowed to vote for the songs they submitted
•A vote is only valid if it lists 6 different songs from the official nomination list, and none of these 6 songs have been nominated by that same user. Only votes sent by PM to france-eesti are valid.
•The tie-breaking rule is that, in the event that two or more songs tie for first place and for other places the song that received points from the greater number of voters is the winner. If there is still a tie, the second tie-breaker is to count the number of voters who assigned 7 points to each entry in the tie. Tie-breaks continue with 5 points and one point until the tie is resolved.
•Voting is private, but the final results are public, including all voters' usernames and points assigned.
•Because of the way the FSC works, nominators who vote for other songs (not being able to vote for their own one) are at a disadvantage compared to those who don't. So it was decided to add 2 extra points to the nominated song of each participant who sends a vote.

Time Frame:
•January 5 — 17, 2017: Nomination period
•January 18 — February 1, 2017: Voting period
February 2, 2017: Results are announced

Good luck to all participants!
'fr' (fr) Native - 'en' (en) Fluentish - 'pt' (pt) Fluentish when I was younger, SQL: A2 or something like that - 'hu' (hu) My current addiction - crazy about it!

france-eesti

Re: Forum Song Contest 55 (January 2017)

Postby france-eesti » 2017-01-05, 14:56

Last edited by france-eesti on 2017-01-18, 9:32, edited 6 times in total.
'fr' (fr) Native - 'en' (en) Fluentish - 'pt' (pt) Fluentish when I was younger, SQL: A2 or something like that - 'hu' (hu) My current addiction - crazy about it!

TheStrayCat

Postby TheStrayCat » 2017-01-07, 2:27

(uk) Ukrainian: Пирятин - Атентат

This is a song about the struggles of Ukrainian peasants growing crops. The word "atentat" generally means "politically motivated assassination", but in the context of this song it rather refers to the killing of garden pests with chemicals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoEPxfj4pLA
Last edited by TheStrayCat on 2017-01-07, 14:46, edited 1 time in total.
Native:  (uk)
C1:  (en-US)
B2:  (es)
A1:  (fr) (hr)

h34

Postby h34 » 2017-01-07, 8:47

(ain) Ainu: The Oki Dub Ainu Band - Suma Mukar
http://youtu.be/Dv_N2E9_sJ8
Lyrics:
► Show Spoiler

opipik

Postby opipik » 2017-01-07, 9:22

Kunwinjku (ntj)* Kunwinjku: Nabarlek - Munyon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HBED6d1p7M

or for these who can watch topic videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfwFL9c8Iu0

*again using the code for Ngaanyatjarra

france-eesti

Postby france-eesti » 2017-01-07, 9:34

(fr) French - Olivia Ruiz - La femme chocolat
In honor of my recent discovery of a pre-diabete, I would like to greet my new absolute sugar prohibition with that song: The chocolate woman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU8ckNkKbDA

EDIT : TheStrayCat kindly told me this video wasn't working in the USA so I guess mine should not be working from other places in the world... So here's an alternative link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWRjbfrm58k
(same song, the clip is just a little less funny) :)
Last edited by france-eesti on 2017-01-07, 16:25, edited 1 time in total.

Quetzalcoatl

Postby Quetzalcoatl » 2017-01-07, 14:11

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-01-07, 21:15

france-eesti, here are a couple of links you could add to the rules:

1) The list of used songs (which cannot be nominated again)
2) The list of language codes and flags

Not all nominees might check against that list, so you'll have to check any nominated song to make sure it's not in the list of used songs. If it is, they'll have to renominate.

france-eesti wrote:In honor of my recent discovery of being a pre-diabetetic, I would like to greet my new absolute sugar prohibition with that this song: The chocolate woman.

On parle au sujet de la maladie « diabetes » mais la personne qui a cette maladie est une « diabetic » . Aussi, je suis une diabète mais je mange encore le sucre mais seulement un peu. Par exemple, dans mon café je n'en ajoute pas* mais je mangerai de temps en temps les bonbons ou les beignes.

Finally, my nomination:
 (ko)/ (en) Taeyang ft. G-Dragon - I Need A Girl (Dance Version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh-00_imdpE
Follow my TAC 2017 here.

(N)  (en-CA) | (B2/B1)  (fr) | (B1/A2)  (pt-BR)  (es-CO) | (A1)  (ta-LK)  (ja)  (ko)  (sv)  (fy)  (it)  (ro)

Johanna
Forum Administrator

Postby Johanna » 2017-01-07, 21:51

admin

From the nomination rules:

• When nominating, you must submit the following information: name of the language, name of the song, name of the artist(s), link to a video/MP3 accessible without registering.

Please respect these rules, this is not the first time you've nominated a song without providing any information whatsoever, only the video itself. It's not up to the person who administrates the contest to play detective because you're lazy, especially since if no one did, he or she would be completely swamped.

If you meant to post the video in another thread you can disregard this of course, but please try not to make the same mistake in the future.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language, want to understand and speak but can't.

Quetzalcoatl

Postby Quetzalcoatl » 2017-01-08, 4:37

I would have provided the missing information today, yesterday I did not have enough time.

You know what? Maybe I should resign from this contest and will never take part in it again... You still have so many active members here in this forum left... :roll:

If you take that thing so seriously even though the FSC is supposed to be fun (btw, maybe you don't remember who started the very first FSC, it was me BTW), maybe you should consider working for a collection agency, check tickets on the train or become a prison guard instead instead of being a forum administrator where people spend their free time, that kind of jobs seem to fit better to your personality :D
Last edited by Quetzalcoatl on 2017-01-08, 5:12, edited 3 times in total.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-01-08, 4:42

Quetzalcoatl wrote:I would have provided the missing information today, yesterday I did not have enough time.

But we couldn't have known that. Maybe next time you could wait until you have enough time? Or mention that you'll add the name and such later. (Though it would be better I think to provide it all at the same time). Otherwise the assumption is that you didn't care enough to provide that information.

Quetzalcoatl wrote:You know what? I resign from this contest and will never take part in it again.

If you take that thing so seriously even though the FSC is supposed to be fun (btw, maybe you don't remember who started the very first FSC, it was me BTW), maybe you should consider working for a collection agency, check tickets on the train or become a prison guard instead instead of being a forum administrator where people spend their free time, that kind of jobs seem to fit better to your personality :D

That's your choice, and it's a shame you feel that way. But remember that just because you started the FSC doesn't mean you get to do whatever you want. If you were in charge of the FSC and responsible for running it or overseeing it, then you could "pull rank" on Johanna. But the FSC has changed since it was first started and the forum members have decided, over time, to implement certain rules. All that has been asked of you is to abide by those rules. Someone has to try and enforce rules or make sure people are abiding by them.

Yes people choose to spend their free time here, but think of it from everyone's perspective. If none of us provided the info being asked, but just put URL links, why should france-eesti (or whoever decides to host an FSC) log on? Or why should anyone host an FSC? All that would mean is they'd have lots of work every time they log on: tracking down artist names, figuring out what language, etc. So your very own argument works against you. Law and order allows any group to exist relatively peacefully.

Johanna automatically assumed that you were willfully disregarding the rules. If it was a simple mistake, then you just say so, and she will understand. I know Johanna and several of the mods here, and they are quite chill.
Follow my TAC 2017 here.

(N)  (en-CA) | (B2/B1)  (fr) | (B1/A2)  (pt-BR)  (es-CO) | (A1)  (ta-LK)  (ja)  (ko)  (sv)  (fy)  (it)  (ro)

france-eesti

Postby france-eesti » 2017-01-08, 10:19

Quetzalcoatl wrote:I would have provided the missing information today, yesterday I did not have enough time.

You know what? Maybe I should resign from this contest and will never take part in it again... You still have so many active members here in this forum left... :roll:

omg, I think I already saw that threat somewhere and I was already hosting the contest! Wow, do I have some kind of jinx or something? :hmm: Let's not take things dramatically, maybe, and TheStrayCat kindly helped me with the language of the song. But it was just lucky he could - because I can only speak a few languages and recognize a few other ones - so it might not be as easy the other times....

Enjoy your Sunday and keep submitting :whistle:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-01-09, 4:41

dEhiN wrote:I know Johanna and several of the mods here, and they are quite chill.

I actually completely disagree despite being familiar with some of the mods myself, but I'm not interested in going into detail about that here. That being said, I agree that it can be difficult and frustrating sometimes when participants don't include the names of the artists and such given that the host of an FSC is expected to include this data for all of the participants' songs.

Dark_Horse

Postby Dark_Horse » 2017-01-12, 15:40

(el) Πάνος Κιάμος - Σφύριξα κι έληξες / Panos Kiamos - Sfyrixa ki elixes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLLfdyFC1VY
Native:  (el)
C2:  (en-us)
Basic:  (fr)
Studying:  (grc)  (la)
Interested in:  (et)

Antea

Postby Antea » 2017-01-12, 19:13

(cs) Czech - Michal David & Lucie Vondráčková - Byla to láska

https://youtu.be/yOw9-ReOjbA

Aziko

Postby Aziko » 2017-01-13, 5:44

(uz) Uzbek - Shohruhxon – Yulduzlar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMmg_GDZ4B4
Last edited by Aziko on 2017-01-13, 6:28, edited 1 time in total.
\( ̄▽ ̄)/

(ky) (uz) (ru) native;  (kaa) (kk) (ug) (be.Tara) (be) (uk) fluentish;  (en) C1, etc.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-01-13, 6:16

Aziko wrote: (ru) Russian - MiyaGi & Endspiel – Tamada

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FPNVpO-lOE

Hi Aziko and welcome to Unilang as well as the FSC! (We have an Introduce Yourself thread and a Members pictures thread you can check out if you want).

Unfortunately one of the rules we have for the Forum Song Contest is:
•There must not be more than 1 nomination per language (first nomination counts)

And someone else already nominated a Russian song. However,
•National or regional variants of the same language count as different languages

So you can nominate a song in a dialect of Russian, or any other language.
Follow my TAC 2017 here.

Aziko

Postby Aziko » 2017-01-13, 6:22

dEhiN wrote:Hi Aziko and welcome to Unilang as well as the FSC! (We have an Introduce Yourself thread and a Members pictures thread you can check out if you want).

Unfortunately one of the rules we have for the Forum Song Contest is:

And someone else already nominated a Russian song. However,

So you can nominate a song in a dialect of Russian, or any other language.

OK, thanks a lot! I will try to find song in another language.
\( ̄▽ ̄)/

(ky) (uz) (ru) native;  (kaa) (kk) (ug) (be.Tara) (be) (uk) fluentish;  (en) C1, etc.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2017-01-13, 18:31

(hu) Rúzsa Magdolna - Érj Hozzám

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eybnj4zD_F0
Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára.

france-eesti

Postby france-eesti » 2017-01-17, 6:23

Hi! thanks to all who submitted! Today is last submitting day, if any of you wishes to enter :)
Have a great day!

Return to “Culture”