How do people greet each other?

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Akihiro
How do people greet each other?

Postby Akihiro » 2016-12-24, 14:26

People usually just bow when they meet for the first time in my country, Japan. There are cases where we shake hands but we often do that when we meet people from foreign country ( because we know shaking hands is their way to greet in many other countries. ) What about greeting styles in your country? If you experience some greeting that is different from yours, I'm happy to hear that.

Prowler

Re: How do people greet each other?

Postby Prowler » 2016-12-24, 17:35

I just say hello, usually. But most of the time, I end up shaking hands with another guy.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-12-24, 18:25

Malayalees in formal situations fold their hands in a namaste gesture and may also bow while saying [n̪əməsˈkaːɾəm]. In informal situations, they might wave and ask how you're doing, but if they say "hi" (or "hello"), they'll either say it in English or not say it at all.

Babbsagg

Postby Babbsagg » 2017-02-26, 9:51

Handshake with strangers/professionally. Some follow an old tradition to grab your hand very firmly, considering a "powerless" handshake feeble.

An Englishman who wrote a book explaining the Germans mentioned this, saying they squeeze your hand until you pass out, so this may be a German thing. Don't know if some other nations do the same.
Thank you for correcting mistakes!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-02-26, 13:09

Well, lots of people are said to have a death grip when shaking hands. :) Although I'm not sure I've heard that said about an entire nation before.

Not really a greeting, but that managed to remind me that one time, this Balinese guy I knew was walking down a hallway with me, then all of a sudden, he grabbed my arm with one hand and clasped my hand with the other. I was like "what was all that about?" and he said it's a Balinese (IIRC) gesture of friendship.

sanayasaini

Postby sanayasaini » 2017-03-28, 5:49

It depends on which age of peoples you meet I mean if you meet with friends you just hii hello but you going to meet with peoples on commercial place you need to say hello and hand shake with them. and with the senior citizen you have to talk respectfully.

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2017-04-11, 5:16

vijayjohn wrote:Well, lots of people are said to have a death grip when shaking hands. :) Although I'm not sure I've heard that said about an entire nation before.

Not really a greeting, but that managed to remind me that one time, this Balinese guy I knew was walking down a hallway with me, then all of a sudden, he grabbed my arm with one hand and clasped my hand with the other. I was like "what was all that about?" and he said it's a Balinese (IIRC) gesture of friendship.

I would totally squeeze the hands of some dudes I'm closer to. It'd be a joke and nothing else... but my hands are small and feeble. :x

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-04-12, 0:34

Prowler wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Well, lots of people are said to have a death grip when shaking hands. :) Although I'm not sure I've heard that said about an entire nation before.

I would totally squeeze the hands of some dudes I'm closer to. It'd be a joke and nothing else... but my hands are small and feeble. :x

Then try Balinese friendship! :twisted:

Return to “Culture”