What song are you listening to right now? 3

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Levike
Re: What song are you listening to right now? 3

Postby Levike » 2016-12-07, 21:50

dEhiN wrote:Îmi place acest cântec!

Mă bucur :)

[flag=]cs[/flag] Lucie Vondráčková- Zombie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySmrXS-jF8M

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-12-08, 6:02

dEhiN wrote:Ok so I used Google Translate. Though I couldn't figure out why GT translates I as Îmi. I even found a site listing Romanian pronouns and that's not listed.)

I'm sorry and no offense, but tbh, I think that's a terrible site to get grammar information from; it's like one of the online equivalents of "learn X language in 30 days!" :lol: AFAICT, îmi is the (full) indirect object pronoun (so 'to me'), and -mi is the clitic form.
Cette chanson est très belle!

Merci :)
Je pense que le norman est plus proche du français que le wallon à français, même si les trois sont les des langues d'oïl.

Mais oui, la Normandie est plus proche de Paris que le sud de la Belgique. :P Puisque les langues d'oïl forment un continuum linguistique, le norman est plus proche du français que le wallon aussi. :)
Of course; Normandy is closer to Paris than southern Belgium (is). :P Since the langues d'oïl form a dialect continuum, Norman is closer to French than Walloon (is), too.

Burgundian, also known by its French names Bourguignon, Morvandiau, and Bourguignon-morvandiau ( :P ), is yet another langue d'oïl spoken in Burgundy in eastern France. This is a clip entitled "Burgundian Drinking Songs," but it sounds like just one song preceded by part of another, and I'm posting it here because I can't even tell whether it's actual Burgundian or just straight-up French:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG_QpDhHJrA

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2016-12-08, 11:47

vijayjohn wrote:AFAICT, îmi is the (full) indirect object pronoun (so 'to me'), and -mi is the clitic form.

Mulțumesc!

vijayjohn wrote:
dEhiN wrote:Je pense que le norman est plus proche du français que le wallon à français, même si les trois sont les des langues d'oïl.

Mais oui, la Normandie est plus proche de Paris que le sud de la Belgique. :P Puisque les langues d'oïl forment un continuum linguistique, le norman est plus proche du français que le wallon aussi. :)

D'accord, ça du sens. Et merci pour les corrections. En fait, j'ai originalement écrit comme tu m'as corrigé, mais j'ai pensé que il faut mal à finir une phrase avec "que + un nom".

vijayjohn wrote:Burgundian, also known by its French names Bourguignon, Morvandiau, and Bourguignon-morvandiau ( :P ), is yet another langue d'oïl spoken in Burgundy in eastern France. This is a clip entitled "Burgundian Drinking Songs," but it sounds like just one song preceded by part of another, and I'm posting it here because I can't even tell whether it's actual Burgundian or just straight-up French:

Perhaps it's Burgundian French, meaning French but with a mix of Burgundian words thrown in?
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-12-08, 13:24

dEhiN wrote:Mulțumesc!

Cu placere!
D'accord, ça a du sens. Et merci pour les corrections.

De rien. :P
En fait, j'ai j'avais originalement écrit comme tu m'as me l'as corrigé, mais j'ai j'avais pensé que il faut qu'il ferait du mal à finir une phrase avec "que + un nom".

vijayjohn wrote:Burgundian, also known by its French names Bourguignon, Morvandiau, and Bourguignon-morvandiau ( :P ), is yet another langue d'oïl spoken in Burgundy in eastern France. This is a clip entitled "Burgundian Drinking Songs," but it sounds like just one song preceded by part of another, and I'm posting it here because I can't even tell whether it's actual Burgundian or just straight-up French:

Perhaps it's Burgundian French, meaning French but with a mix of Burgundian words thrown in?

Idk. *shrugs* I'm not even sure whether that's a thing. I kind of doubt it is, though.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2016-12-08, 15:24

2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-12-09, 21:36

I've already posted this once before, but this is a clip of (the music video for) the song "Djobi Djoba" from the year I was born. I'm not sure how popular this song is now, but back then, it was a huge hit even here in the US. I kind of have a personal attachment to this particular song, partly because the band (the Gipsy Kings) is made of actual Romani people (specifically Calé people from Montpellier and Arles in southern France, which is why the song is in Spanish) and I worked on Romani as a university student, and partly because I remember my cousin playing it in her car once when I was growing up and was visiting her for either Christmas or summer vacation (I forget which):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to-jCxxX-sM

opipik

Postby opipik » 2016-12-10, 8:02

This is another song by the Saltwater Band called Elcho Island Boys. It is sung in Yolngu and English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFw61g1QAv4

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-12-10, 9:33

Auvergnat (in French) or Auvernhat (native name) is a variety of Occitan spoken in the French region of Auvergne, located basically in the middle of France. There's a collection of folk songs in Auvergnat from about a hundred years ago called Chants d'Auvergne that's surprisingly famous. I don't think there are songs in any other regional language variety of France that are quite this famous. This particular song is a shepherds' song called "Bailero" (lyrics included in the video, preceded by a brief explanation in English). It sounds to me like something that could have been recorded for a Hollywood blockbuster or something:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iI8tMHrD_c

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2016-12-16, 5:18

I just ran into an Albanian song on youtube with 244 million views!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cedoBlUvBlI
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-12-16, 6:00

I recognized that clip without clicking on it because that was Quetzalcoatl's nomination in the Forum Song Contest back in May. It didn't do so well, but then there were only nine voters anyway.

Mallorquín (Spanish name) or Mallorquí (Catalan name and I guess self-designation?) is...the language of Majorca in the Balearic Islands. It seems to be widely (generally?) regarded as a variety of Catalan, but some of its native speakers at least view it and the other language varieties of the Balearic Islands as separate languages (one of my colleagues in grad school was a native speaker who strongly insisted that it was not a variety of Catalan and that it was mutually unintelligible with it and more different from any variety of Catalan than any of those varieties are from each other). This is a video of fandango being danced to a folk(?) song that's apparently in Mallorquí(n):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O3KQAawYII

Antea

Postby Antea » 2016-12-16, 9:06

vijayjohn wrote:It seems to be widely (generally?) regarded as a variety of Catalan, but some of its native speakers at least view it and the other language varieties of the Balearic Islands as separate languages (one of my colleagues in grad school was a native speaker who strongly insisted that it was not a variety of Catalan and that it was mutually unintelligible with it and more different from any variety of Catalan than any of those varieties are from each other).

In Mallorca, they have so strong an accent, and they use some vocabulary (some words and expressions) that is different from the Catalan we speak here in Barcelona. My husband had a colleague from Mallorca, and everytime I met him, whenever he said anything I was like Whattt?? :shock: , and he had to repeat it once or twice. Finally, one grows accustumed to the accent and the vocabulary (at least, my husband did), but the firsts times is like :hmm: :hmm:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-12-17, 7:03

That makes sense, Antea. Thanks! :)

Kabyle is a (Northern) Berber language spoken in northern and northeastern Algeria. It apparently separated from the other Northern Berber languages relatively early. This is a traditional wedding song in Kabyle. I used to listen to 0:03-0:29 of this song on Encarta:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlkB9zxJFP0

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-12-20, 8:21

Mozabite a.k.a. Tunżabt is another Berber language and part of the Zenati language group. It is also part of the Mzab-Wargla or Northern Saharan oasis dialect cluster; Gurara is also part of this cluster. It's spoken in the Sahara in northern Algeria. This is a song in Mozabite by Adel Amzab(?) called "Anouji." The style definitely reminds me of Iranian music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQceG5Jw5V0
EDIT: That clip appears to be a clipped version of this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j03In78pTc

h34

Postby h34 » 2016-12-20, 22:38

[flag=]ckt[/flag] A song in Chukchi by the band Эргырон (Èrgyron). It is called Нэме рин'ей (Nème rin'ej) which, according to the Russian translation in the video description, means 'where has he gone'. The singer's name is Анна Отрокова (Anna Otrokova).http://youtu.be/qHIDoNbdQKM

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-12-21, 4:55

All of the songs I've been posting in Berber languages so far have been in Northern Berber languages. There is another branch of the Berber languages called Tuareg or South Berber. These languages are mainly spoken in the Sahel, in Mali and Niger, but there is one Tuareg language called Tamahaq that is spoken further north in the Sahara. One variety of Tamahaq is Tahaggart, spoken in the Ahaggar mountains in southeastern Algeria. This is a song in Tahaggart by Slimane Moulay Lakhdar called "Soullan Tamidine," which apparently means 'patience, my (female) friend':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgIRCi0sQMI

Osias

Postby Osias » 2016-12-21, 17:02

And I thought Beber was a single langage... :?
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-12-22, 1:11

Osias wrote:And I thought Berber was a single language... :?

Well, almost everything spoken across the entire Sahara desert is either a variety of Arabic or a Berber language, so...:P

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2016-12-29, 5:55

My favorite song at the moment, which is also sung by an ethnic Albanian. She sings in English though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnBT9uUYb1w
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2016-12-29, 14:27

I love Bebe Rexha. Her last name is interesting because she pronounces it /ɹɛksa/ but Albanian pronunciation rules make it /ɾɛd͡ʒa/.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-12-30, 7:59

dEhiN wrote:I love Bebe Rexha. Her last name is interesting because she pronounces it /ɹɛksa/ but Albanian pronunciation rules make it /ɾɛd͡ʒa/.

Does she really? I wonder whether she knows Albanian and whether she uses that pronunciation on purpose because it's more intuitive to English-speakers.

Ghadames/Ghadamès/Ghadamis is the name of an oasis town in Libya right on the border with Algeria and Tunisia. It's like the Basel of the Sahara. :P There is a Berber language of the same name spoken there. However, it is neither a Northern Berber language nor a Tuareg language but instead belongs to a group of languages collectively called Eastern Berber. It's not clear which other languages would fit into an Eastern Berber group. Anyway, this is a video that I think is mostly in Libyan Arabic, but it's apparently about some crafts from Ghadames, and I'm venturing a guess that the song clip at the beginning (up to 0:34, then fading up to 0:41) is in this language:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RKTs8JErUQ

Return to “Culture”