What song are you listening to right now? 3

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

dEhiN
Re: What song are you listening to right now? 3

Postby dEhiN » 2017-05-06, 6:38

I really liked that song, maybe because it's a wedding celebration song so it's so upbeat and happy! Do you know if Christianity is the major religion of the Okun people? Because the song references not only God but specifically El Shaddai, the Jewish-cum-Christian Hebraic name for the Christian God.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-05-06, 6:49

Thanks, i'm glad to hear you liked it! :)

Wikipedia claims that 85% of the Okun people are Christian but doesn't give a citation. Lots of Yoruba people in general are Christian (though Islam is also big among the Yoruba, apparently). I didn't notice the reference to El Shaddai, but I did notice that the instrumental part from 4:25 to 4:56 is a Christian hymn (I know this because I've heard my dad sing that hymn pretty often in Malayalam, but I can't seem to find it).

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-05-06, 8:51

vijayjohn wrote:I didn't notice the reference to El Shaddai, but I did notice that the instrumental part from 4:25 to 4:56 is a Christian hymn (I know this because I've heard my dad sing that hymn pretty often in Malayalam, but I can't seem to find it).

The El Shaddai reference is at about 1:56. As for the hymn, yeah I recognize it, though I don't recall the name of it either. I've sung it, probably several times. But after a while the lyrics and hymns tend to blend into each other, at least for the "lesser known" ones.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-05-06, 14:08

In Malayalam, I think it begins with [ˈd̪ejʋət̪ɪn pəjd̪əˈleː n̪ɪnˈne] or something like that (something having to do with God and affection or something). I guess I'll have to check our hymn book. :P The only part that I'm almost positive I remember in Malayalam is the first part of the chorus: "[t͡ʃɪn̪ˈd̪aːguləŋəɭ], [t͡ʃɪn̪ˈd̪aːguləŋəɭ ɛlˈlaːm]." Something having to do with worrying? Or (erroneous?) thoughts of some sort?

h34

Postby h34 » 2017-05-24, 9:58

(tt) Aigol Sagynbaeva / Айгөл Сагынбаева - Tugan Yak:
Last edited by h34 on 2017-08-31, 14:38, edited 3 times in total.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-05-25, 3:50

So my dad told me what the English name of that hymn was: "There Shall Be Showers of Blessing." In Malayalam, it's called [ˈaːɕɪɕa ˈmaːɾi], but there's a completely different hymn with the exact same tune in Malayalam, and that's what I was remembering.

Anyway, Edo (Ẹ̀dó) a.k.a. Bini or Benin is an Edoid language spoken in Edo State in southern Nigeria. :P It's related to Okpamheri, the last language I posted a song in in the minority languages thread, but only in that both of them are Edoid languages. This is a song in Edo apparently by some artists named Ohenhen and Fabomo. It's only slightly shorter than the last song I posted in this thread. Unfortunately, the recording used for this clip sounds pretty scratchy between about 5:30 and 7:10:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlq_I2dvRQI

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-05-25, 13:50

This radio

http://radio.garden/live/rio-de-janeiro-rj/radio-yande/

As far as I understood, they play music from Brazilian Native Americans from several nations and languages. Here they're called "Índios" by themselves, a different word from "Indianos", from India. Sometimes there are some sentences in Brazilian Portuguese and even English.

The musical styles seem to be from the Índios, but sometimes there is a Sertanejo or half-rap. Thanks to Tupã, until now no Funk.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-05-28, 6:01

Afemai a.k.a. Afenmai or Yekhee is another Edoid language somewhat closely related to Edo. Both Afemai and Edo are North-Central Edoid languages; however, Edo is part of one branch in that group whereas Afemai is part of another. This is a song in Afemai by Waziri Oshomah, who I'm guessing might be an imam (about half of all Nigerians are Muslim):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZXF2tpHw9E

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-06-03, 7:11

Ebira a.k.a. Egbira is a Nupoid language, meaning that it's related to the Nupe language but not all that closely. It's spoken only in Kogi State unlike Nupe, which is spoken there and in a few other states in northern Nigeria. This is a traditional song in Ebira, apparently called "Jaffaru":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3Jfc4B_SSw

Arbnor

Postby Arbnor » 2017-06-11, 13:32

h34

Postby h34 » 2017-06-13, 18:44

http://youtu.be/073Hi0fIXKw
(mhr) A song in Meadow Mari called Куку мурен толынам (Kuku muren tolynam), 'I came to hear the cuckoo's song'.
Last edited by h34 on 2017-08-31, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-06-14, 4:27

Gwari is a term for two linguistic varieties that are both closely related to Nupe. These two linguistic varieties are called Gbagyi or West Gwari and Gbari or East Gwari. They're both spoken more or less just west of the middle of Nigeria and are apparently not mutually intelligible. This is a song in Gbagyi by Shekwolo Musa Yeche called "Gbodolo," although I think it might also have a little bit of Nigerian Pidgin English in it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r77mgvdVRs4

h34

Postby h34 » 2017-06-17, 12:22

(lv) Instrumenti - Lēna Uguns
Last edited by h34 on 2017-08-31, 14:41, edited 2 times in total.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-06-18, 1:35

As far as I know, all of the songs I've posted in Hausa so far are in the western varieties of Hausa. However, the variety spoken in the city of Katsina in northern Nigeria (near the border with Niger) is known in Hausa as Katsinanci and is apparentl transitional between the western and eastern varieties of Hausa. This is a song in Hausa from Katsina and thus presumably in Katsinanci. I think it might be about the current emir of Katsina, Abdulmumini Kabir Usman, perhaps a praise song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udzyIq4fzvM

sandrodream

Postby sandrodream » 2017-06-19, 12:58

Fiorella Mannoia, great italian singer one of my favourited :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZyyEpTTE2g

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-06-19, 21:25

sandrodream wrote:Fiorella Mannoia, great italian singer one of my favourited

It sounds better to say "one of my favourites". The only time I've used or seen "favourited" used is in an active sense: I favourited this song today on my Spotify playlist. But if you're using the possessive adjective, then the noun you need to use is "favourite". Also, as a style note, it looks a little strange to my English eyes to see "great Italian singer one of my favourites" because those are two different ideas put together as one sentence. It looks better to my eyes to use a comma: "great Italian singer, one of my favourites".

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2017-06-19, 23:59

dEhiN wrote:Because the song references not only God but specifically El Shaddai, the Jewish-cum-Christian Hebraic name for the Christian God.
I'm confused. El Shaddai is just one of many Jewish names for God (and it's not the name for God; that would be Yahweh) and I've never heard of any Christian group ever using it.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-06-20, 2:53

mōdgethanc wrote:
dEhiN wrote:Because the song references not only God but specifically El Shaddai, the Jewish-cum-Christian Hebraic name for the Christian God.
I'm confused. El Shaddai is just one of many Jewish names for God (and it's not the name for God; that would be Yahweh) and I've never heard of any Christian group ever using it.

You're right, it's not the name for God in Christianity (and I assume Judaism); that would be Yahweh. Yes, it is just one of many Jewish names for God. I should've written "a Jewish-cum-Christian...".

But Christians use that name along with several other Jewish names regularly (including Yahweh but also other names that start with El). Some references for you:

1) There's a Christian song called "El Shaddai", and here's a version sung by a Christian artist called Amy Grant. I'm aware of this song because I've played and sung it many times with the church band I was involved with in my 20s.

2) Here is a church called El Shaddai Christian Church.

3) Here is some Christian ministry that seems to reference El Shaddai, though it's not in their name per se.

4) Here is an article on a site run by a Christian Reverend which seeks to explain the meaning of El Shaddai.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-06-20, 3:18

I know that song in Portuguese.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-06-20, 3:20

Return to “Culture”