Game Of Thrones

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Hypocrisy
Re: Game Of Thrones

Postby Hypocrisy » 2016-06-17, 7:20

Levike wrote:
Hypocrisy wrote:Only some places and almost all of character titles are translated into Turkish.

How about Winterfell, Riverrun or King's Landing? :whistle:

We have Turkish counterparts for those names.

Winterfell - Kıştepesi (lit. translation is "Winterhill")
Riverrun - Nehirova (lit. translation is "Riverplain")
King's Landing - Kral'ın Şehri

How about Hungarian? :)

Meera wrote:Apparently GRRM told the producers his end game and they are basing the episodes off that. I agree that season 6 isn't as good as season 4, but compared to other series on TV right now they are doing a pretty good job.

I think Arya's story with many faced god is really stupid and I have no idea how she survived that stabbing unless there is something we don't know yet. The last episode wasn't my favorite.It was very slow. I wish we saw Arya kill the waif. I really liked the play scenes though. My favorite episode was this season so far was "Hold the Door." :(

By the way the next two episodes are supposed to be really big. We are getting the battle of the bastards.

"Hold the Door" was my favourite, too. The background story for Hodor and why he turned out the way he is was ridiculously reasonable to me. It was so touching that he died an honorable death trying to help little Bran escape.

Yasna wrote:I don't think the storytelling has degraded as much as people have been saying. I think it's more a case of people paying closer attention now because they know the series is ahead of the book. I think the weakest parts of the story are the many faced god story line and the religious fanatics story line. And AFAIK, those are both products of the books. I'm looking forward to the battle for the North.

The fanatics story line is rather annoying than weak to me. It was always fun having Lannisters meet in the Red Keep or in the Council Chamber to discuss their matters in a cynical tone. I believe, Cersei and Margeary are hiding something behind their cunning eyes. I hope, it helps spice things up a bit in the episodes to come.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2016-06-17, 7:51

Hypocrisy wrote:How about Hungarian?

Deres - Winterfell (Frosted)

Zúgó - Riverrun (zúg = whirl, like the river currents)

Királyvár - King's Landing (Kingfortress)

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-06-17, 16:40

MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

I don't really mind the religious fanatics story line that much, plus I doubt they will make it into season 7. But I thought it was pretty good world building because in the show they haven't really highlighted the religions of the seven kingdoms. Plus, it let us understand the people that saved the hound. Plus I think the fanatics kind of fit the time period. I like the Lord of Light religion better because they are crazy as fuck. :lol:
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-06-20, 1:47

I'm watching episode 9 of s6 right now. WOW. This one is intense so far.
अहिंसा/เจ

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2016-06-20, 3:55

Meera wrote:I'm watching episode 9 of s6 right now. WOW. This one is intense so far.

Brilliant episode. Ramsey should have fed his pups. lol
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-06-20, 4:27

Yasna wrote:
Meera wrote:I'm watching episode 9 of s6 right now. WOW. This one is intense so far.

Brilliant episode. Ramsey should have fed his pups. lol

Honestly I am thinking this is one of the best episodes of the series. It was just so good.

I was sad about Wun Wun :( And when Davos found Shireen's toy stag :( Although I don't if he should be mad at Mel though, it was Stannis who gave the go ahead. I wonder if they will sentence Mel to death next episode. Sansa was amazing in this episode too especially when she watched Ramsay die. I loved the dialogue between Jon and Ramsay too. The Dany scenes were cool too especially the one with Yara. I actually want to watch the episode again lol
अहिंसा/เจ

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-06-23, 16:53

“Battle of the Bastards” is the highest-rated Game of Thrones Episode on IMDb
http://winteriscoming.net/2016/06/20/ba ... e-on-imdb/
3 days agoby David (Razor) Harris

From the moment we found out that “Hardhome” director Miguel Sapochnik was returning to direct “Battle of the Bastards,” and that it would feature the largest battle ever filmed for Thrones, the excitement has been palpable. In fact, “Battle of the Bastards” may have been the most anticipated episode in the history of Game of Thrones. For six seasons, loyal House Stark supporters have watched the members of this once proud house get betrayed, beaten, tortured, and murdered by their enemies. It was time for some payback.

According to IMDb, the episode lived up to the hype. “Battle of the Bastards” is currently this highest rated episode on the site, with nearly 32 thousand user votes and a rating of 10/10 stars.

To put this in perspective, Episode 309, “Rains of Castamere,” which featured the infamous Red Wedding, currently has a total of 43,433 votes and a 9.9 user rating. Episode 508, “Hardhome,” also received a 9.9 user rating, with 46,854 votes counted. IMDb has a list of every Game of Thrones episode, how many users voted, and the user rating each one received.

For further perspective, here’s how each season’s penultimate episode rated on the site.

Episode 109, “Baelor” received a 9.5 user rating, with 14,685 votes being placed.
Episode 209, “Blackwater” received a 9.7 user rating, with 17,766 votes being placed.
Episode 309, “The Rains of Castamere” received a 9.9 user rating, with 43,433 votes being placed.
Episode 409, “The Watchers on the Wall” received a 9.5 user rating, with 18,489 votes being placed.
Episode 509, “The Dance of Dragons” received a 9.4 user rating, with 20,714 votes being placed.
Both “Blackwater,” and “The Watchers on the Wall” featured massive battles, while “Baelor” and “The Rains of Castamere” sported highly anticipated moments from the books (Ned’s death and the Red Wedding respectively). “The Dance of Dragons” is the lowest rated of the penultimate episodes, but it followed “Hardhome,” which is the third highest rated episode of Game of Thrones overall.

It’s only been a day since “Battle of the Bastards” aired for the first time. The number of votes placed is sure to rise as time goes on, so the user rating could change down the line. However, a quick look at the ratings metric shows that an overwhelming number of users gave the episode a perfect 10/10 stars. IMDb updates its episode ratings on a daily basis, so tomorrow may tell a different story.

This episode was a masterpiece.
अहिंसा/เจ

Levike

Postby Levike » 2016-06-23, 17:21

There are four things I don't like about this episode.

1. How can Ramsay not see that a Tully army is approaching?
He looks like a great strategist, but doesn't care to send 2 or 3 men for reconnasaince?

2. When the 2 masters' necks are cut they just instantly die. Even a chiken with a cut on its neck moves on the ground for a while until it drains out of blood and doesn't turn into an instant corpse. By the way this is my biggest problem with the show: Some people can have their belly cut open with 100 arrows though their chest and survive, while some have their fingers cut off and voilá instant death guaranteed.

3. Why not give the giant any weapon? Just bare hands? Seriously?

4. And who put Ramsay in that room with the dogs? Why didn't the dogs instantly attack the ones who put Ramsay there and opened their doors? And they approache Ramsay only when Sansa appeared. This part seemed to be put there only for the shock effect.

Though it was a good entertaining episode. :mrgreen:

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-06-23, 17:59

Levike wrote:There are four things I don't like about this episode.

1. How can Ramsay not see that a Tully army is approaching?
He looks like a great strategist, but doesn't care to send 2 or 3 men for reconnasaince?

2. When the 2 masters' necks are cut they just instantly die. Even a chiken with a cut on its neck moves on the ground for a while until it drains out of blood and doesn't turn into an instant corpse. By the way this is my biggest problem with the show: Some people can have their belly cut open with 100 arrows though their chest and survive, while some have their fingers cut off and voilá instant death guaranteed.

3. Why not give the giant any weapon? Just bare hands? Seriously?

4. And who put Ramsay in that room with the dogs? Why didn't the dogs instantly attack the ones who put Ramsay there and opened their doors? And they approache Ramsay only when Sansa appeared. This part seemed to be put there only for the shock effect.

Though it was a good entertaining episode. :mrgreen:

1. I think LF and his army did show up to the last minute. Remember that Sansa did not tell Jon about Lf's Army and Ramsay already knew Jon's number. And at the this point he was killing Rickon and was fixated on Jon. Also if you look at the scene again Jon and Ramsay's army are pretty far away from each other. Look how long it took Jon to get to Rickon.

2. Well it is a fantasy show where red witches also bring people back from life. But we also don't know the protection they had and you have to suspend disbelief for dramatic effect. Imagine if they drug out every single death like that. It would get tiresome.

3. Wun Wun never fought with a weapon when he was with Wilidings. Why would he do so now.He may not even know how to use one properly. If he had a bow and arrow or a sword it would slow him down. He would have to bend over. Here he stomped and threw people and ended up breaking threw the door which allowed Jon to get close to Ramsay.

4. Showing all this would slow down the pacing of the episode. Most likely Sansa discussed it with someone before going to talk to Ramsay and sending his dog on him and someone opened the door to let the dog go through. These episodes are only an hour long and to have that exposition would have taken more time. If they showed this people would be complaining "oh its to slow" or "they are dumbing it down" etc. Also his dogs were obviously in Winterfel because we did not see them in the battle. To explain all this would have just weighed the episode down. You could honestly say the same thing for the Red Wedding. There wasn't a scene before explaining what was going to happen .
अहिंसा/เจ

Levike

Postby Levike » 2016-06-23, 18:10

Meera wrote:1. I think LF and his army did show up to the last minute.

You send a few guys on horses out for reconnasaince. No big deal.

Those reconnasaince troops can return faster to report an incoming army, because it takes a while until the enemy forces manage to move their whole army to the battble field.

2. Well it is a fantasy show where red witches also bring people back from life.

You're basically saying it doesn't have to be that realistic, but fantasy shows do have internal consistency that they should follow.

3. Wun Wun never fought with a weapon...

Doesn't take much intelligence to pick up a huge stick and hit soldiers with it, no big deal. Even monkeys can take up a rock and hit you with it.

Most likely Sansa discussed it with someone before going to talk to Ramsay and sending his dog on him

They killed the only person they listened to but not even one of them thought about eating the one who freed them? That doesn't make much sense.

The directors could have just decided to throw Ramsay into a room where the dogs were, that would have made more sense.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-06-23, 18:59

Look how long it took Ramsay to hit Rickon when Rickon was running in a freaking straight line. Wun Wun has never used a bow he might not be able to aim and why would he bend down and waste time when he can stomp on them or throw them out of the way?

Someone could have lifted the gate from above. Or the person who let the dog out could have had armor on. I'm sure they weren't going to go near that dog without a weapon or armor. This was probably discussed off camera.

Also I think the Army in the beginning was actually Jon Snow's Army. Lf's didn't come until later meaning that Ramsay's army was already distracted. We also don't know the numbers of LF's army. Plus Ramsay was already extremely overly confident about this battle so were his men. He knows Jon doesn't "have the numbers or the horses" as he said. He likely told his men this would be an easy battle. If Ramsay wasn't so over confident he likely would have attacked at night or did something like he did with Stannis. But he didn't. He thought he was going to win. But we are also seeing this battle mostly from Jon's perspective and he is the main focus, we don't really know what Ramsay's army is thinking at this point.

Also those deaths you are talking about, who cares if it wasn't 100 percent realistic? And you can die instantly if something goes through your neck or your head gets chopped off. It is an hour episode and they had a lot to go through. Why waste that time on extras?

I understand criticizing Arya's dumb story this season and dorne. But Arya's especially, like getting stabbed and being able to run from the waif and kill the waif was absolutely fucking ridiculous. It was inconsistent and laughably bad. But this episode was not. A lot of what you are saying would have slowed down the narrative. We don't need to know every single little detail.

This episode was also consistent with the characters. Jon Snow although brave and noble, he is dumb af and fell into Ramsay's trap and Sansa/Lf' had to save his ass.
अहिंसा/เจ

Levike

Postby Levike » 2016-06-23, 19:35

Meera wrote:Look how long it took Ramsay to hit Rickon when Rickon was running in a freaking straight line.

That's easily explanable: He's just not that good archer he claims to be.

Wun Wun has never used a bow he might not be able to aim and why would he bend down and waste time when he can stomp on them or throw them out of the way?

He can take a big piece of wood and hit people with it.

Or the person who let the dog out could have had armor on.

I'll give you that one, he might have worn an armour. But why did the dogs wait to get out of their rooms until Sansa came why didn't they at least approach Ramsay and smell him for a while. The whole "Sansa being there at the right moment when the dogs chose to eat Ramsay" screams "we just wanted a cool scene to impress/shock/impress the viewer!".

Lf's didn't come until later meaning that Ramsay's army was already distracted.

You still have people (one or two) looking around the territory in any case.

Also those deaths you are talking about, who cares if it wasn't 100 percent realistic?

Some do some don't. I do, you don't. Your criticism starts at Superarya, mine starts here.
9gag at least is full with complaints. As much as with the scenes where Arya miraculously survived.

It simply adds to the quality. Don't get me wrong, GOT is still one of the best, if not the best shows.

It was inconsistent and laughably bad. But this episode was not.

People are entertained differently, some choose to close an eye, others don't, some don't even observe.

This episode was also consistent with the characters. Jon Snow although brave and noble, he is dumb af and fell into Ramsay's trap and Sansa/Lf' had to save his ass.

Littlefinger's army was coming anyway.

The character's behaviour was okay, except some who seem dumbed down, I'm more conserned about the plotholes.

One thing that people critisise and I don't is why Rickon chose to just run in a straight line and not in a zig-zag pattern. I say that if you're a kid and if you're panicked, as probably Rickon was, you're not able to think straight and do proper decisions.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2016-06-28, 8:39

Now this episode was cool. 8-)

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2016-06-28, 9:08

What's up with people essentially teleporting all over the place?

1) Aren't the Iron Islands in the central-ish west? I mean, it should have taken weeks to go around Westeros and half of Essos in order to get to Mereen. At the very least.

2) The knights of the Vale got all the way to Winterfell awfully fast too. Not to mention, it's really hard to miss an entire army, Ramsay and Jon! :roll:

3) How the hell did Varys get from Dorne to a ship heading from Mereen to Westeros that fast?

4) Also, Arya from Braavos to the Twins. I think? Or was it Riverrun? Still, nowhere near any major port on the east coast.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2016-06-28, 11:27

Johanna wrote:What's up with people essentially teleporting all over the place?

The only explanation I could come up with is that we do not know how much time passed between getting from A to B. There isn't anything saying one episode = one day or one week, so maybe actually it took a whole week for Arya or the bald guy to get to where they are, even though the not-so-good way the scenes are cut does make it seem like Varys has a twin brother in Dorne.

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2016-06-28, 14:44

I think they drop some clues that time has passed that might not be obvious e.g. I didn't even notice, but read elsewhere that there were Tyrell and Martell ships in Danny's fleet, so clearly Varys got the business done allready. Same with knights of Vale - back in the Mole town when offering help, Littlefinger told Sansa that they are camping at Moat Cailin, which seems to be about as far from Winterfell as the Wall, so both their armies acctualy had about equal amount of time and distance to travel, but you might miss that one sentence, not to mention that you might not remember geography mentioned passingly seasons ago.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2016-06-28, 14:51

2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-08-15, 16:46

HBO confirmed that only two seasons are left, and each will only have seven episodes. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
अहिंसा/เจ

Osias

Postby Osias » 2016-08-15, 19:35

I wonder what will be the next big thing. Another HBO series? A Netflix one? Did you see Stranger Things?
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2016-08-15, 19:40

Meera wrote:HBO confirmed that only two seasons are left, and each will only have seven episodes. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

WHAT?????????????????? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Return to “Culture”