Game Of Thrones

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Meera
Game Of Thrones

Postby Meera » 2016-06-15, 3:36

Winter is Coming! This is the thread to talk about all things Game of Thrones (the Television series). Just a warning there may be spoilers.

I'm actually really liking season 6 so far. I know it is getting a lot of criticism. Yes the last two episodes did have a lot of filler but the thing with this show is that even the bad bottle episodes are pretty good. The last two episodes of the season are coming and I think they are going to be epic.
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Game Of Thrones

Postby OldBoring » 2016-06-15, 16:19

Meera wrote:Winter is Coming!

???
Is this some GOT reference?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-06-15, 16:23

OldBoring wrote:

???

Pretty sure it is.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-06-15, 16:53

OldBoring wrote:

???

Yes, it is a really famous line from the series. Some other ones include:

You know nothing, Jon Snow!
For the Night is Dark and Full of Terrors.
What is Dead may never die.
That's what I do, I drink and I know things.

The two most famous I think are Winter is Coming and You know nothing, Jon Snow.
अहिंसा/เจ

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2016-06-15, 16:55

Thank thee.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-06-15, 17:01

OldBoring wrote:Thank thee.

You're welcome, mi' lord.
अहिंसा/เจ

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-06-15, 17:02

अहिंसा/เจ

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-06-15, 17:54

Meera wrote:
OldBoring wrote:

???

Yes, it is a really famous line from the series. Some other ones include:

You know nothing, Jon Snow!

So that's where that comes from! I only remember seeing that in the "favorite foods" thread or whatever it was called where Varislintu said that to mōdgethanc. :lol:

EDIT: The only user posting in the GoT thread so far who has actually seen GoT is also the one who opened the thread. Oh, the irony!

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2016-06-15, 17:59

vijayjohn wrote:EDIT: The only user posting in the GoT thread so far who has actually seen GoT is also the one who opened the thread. Oh, the irony!

I watched half of the first episode of the first season! Plus random videos about random clips. :P

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-06-15, 18:08

OldBoring wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:EDIT: The only user posting in the GoT thread so far who has actually seen GoT is also the one who opened the thread. Oh, the irony!

I watched half of the first episode of the first season! Plus random videos about random clips. :P

You should watch more of it, there really isn't any other show currently on TV like it.
अहिंसा/เจ

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2016-06-16, 9:43

Meera wrote:I'm actually really liking season 6 so far. I know it is getting a lot of criticism. Yes the last two episodes did have a lot of filler but the thing with this show is that even the bad bottle episodes are pretty good. The last two episodes of the season are coming and I think they are going to be epic.

It certainly feels like quality has dropped compared to previous seasons. The whole appeal of the series is good intrigue, but this season does it on soap opera level and only thing masking it is nice visuals. Perhaps as it's based on an unfinished book they weren't able to flesh it out as much.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2016-06-16, 15:41

Meera wrote:You should watch more of it, there really isn't any other show currently on TV like it.

Then I'll watch it with Chinese subtitles. I can't understand their dialogues. :cry:

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2016-06-16, 17:45

This article from a year ago sums up nicely why I gave up on the series:
Rob Harvilla wrote:There are many TV shows I enjoy watching, but none I enjoy watching as much as I enjoy not watching this one. Which is not to say I’ll stop now, though it’s not so much that I’ll hate-watch season six as season six will be hate-broadcast to me, all the remaining women further degraded and Walk of Shame’d into full-blown, full-frontal oblivion. all the scant few remaining Good People grindingly rendered horrible or killed horribly. “Hey, do this logical, pragmatic thing.” “Nah, dogg, I’m gonna do this rash, suicidal, knuckleheaded, ostensibly honorable thing instead.” [Hit by bus.] [Bus raped by another bus.] [Both buses fall off a cliff, explode.] I’ve got enough problems, and so do you.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Levike

Postby Levike » 2016-06-16, 17:54

Meera wrote:Just a warning there may be spoilers.

Out of curiosity, did you like the last episode?

I personally found Arya-vs-the-blond-one thing highly unrealistic.
Plus, at the end when Daenerys showed it that was a huge hero-arrives-at-the-right-time cliché.

But as far as I know the last episodes of the season are going to be directed by the ones who directed the one where they fought the White Walkers for the first time, so I'm very hopeful.

Hypocrisy

Postby Hypocrisy » 2016-06-16, 18:48

I definitely agree with the trending criticism that the storytelling has been degrading for a while now. The show has stopped putting out the quality episodes it had in the beginning.

One can't deny the fact that the TV show has recently caught up with the book and the scenarists had to come up with their side of the story with certain tips from George R.R. Martin as to where he intends to steer the story. It made the whole thing a little less appealing and full of cliché.

Caution for spoilers for the remainder of this post!

Levike wrote:Out of curiosity, did you like the last episode?

► Show Spoiler

Levike

Postby Levike » 2016-06-16, 19:55

Hypocrisy wrote:I hope they have something prepared for the finale, otherwise I would be very disappointed that they would have built up an intriguing story for a strong character just to throw it away.

I'm guessing the finale is probably going to be centred around the battle between John Snow and Ramsay.

By the way, are the place and character names translated into Turkish?
I'm watching it in Hungarian, and a lot of them are translated.

PS: I don't think we need the spoiler alert thing, since the whole thread is basically about spoiling.

Hypocrisy

Postby Hypocrisy » 2016-06-16, 21:34

Levike wrote:
Hypocrisy wrote:I hope they have something prepared for the finale, otherwise I would be very disappointed that they would have built up an intriguing story for a strong character just to throw it away.

I'm guessing the finale is probably going to be centred around the battle between John Snow and Ramsay.

By the way, are the place and character names translated into Turkish?
I'm watching it in Hungarian, and a lot of them are translated.

PS: I don't think we need the spoiler alert thing, since the whole thread is basically about spoiling.

My bet would be that they will leave the battle for the next season. They might also cut it out at a dramatic scene for the sake of a cliff-hanger.

As for your question, no character names are translated as it'd sound highly absurd. Only some places and almost all of character titles are translated into Turkish.

Here's how it goes for Khaleesi :P ;

Daenerys Stormborn, First of Her Name, Queen of the Andals, Protector of the Realm, Breaker of Chains and Mother of Dragons.

Daenerys Fırtınadoğan, İsminin İlki, Andalların Kraliçesi, Diyarın Koruyucusu, Zincirkıran ve Dragonların Annesi.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2016-06-16, 21:38

Hypocrisy wrote:Only some places and almost all of character titles are translated into Turkish.

How about Winterfell, Riverrun or King's Landing? :whistle:

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-06-16, 22:39

Hypocrisy wrote:I definitely agree with the trending criticism that the storytelling has been degrading for a while now. The show has stopped putting out the quality episodes it had in the beginning.

One can't deny the fact that the TV show has recently caught up with the book and the scenarists had to come up with their side of the story with certain tips from George R.R. Martin as to where he intends to steer the story. It made the whole thing a little less appealing and full of cliché.

Caution for spoilers for the remainder of this post!

Levike wrote:Out of curiosity, did you like the last episode?

► Show Spoiler

Apparently GRRM told the producers his end game and they are basing the episodes off that. I agree that season 6 isn't as good as season 4, but compared to other series on TV right now they are doing a pretty good job.

I think Arya's story with many faced god is really stupid and I have no idea how she survived that stabbing unless there is something we don't know yet. The last episode wasn't my favorite.It was very slow. I wish we saw Arya kill the waif. I really liked the play scenes though. My favorite episode was this season so far was "Hold the Door." :(

By the way the next two episodes are supposed to be really big. We are getting the battle of the bastards.
अहिंसा/เจ

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2016-06-16, 23:01

I don't think the storytelling has degraded as much as people have been saying. I think it's more a case of people paying closer attention now because they know the series is ahead of the book. I think the weakest parts of the story are the many faced god story line and the religious fanatics story line. And AFAIK, those are both products of the books. I'm looking forward to the battle for the North.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

Return to “Culture”