The castles of Europe

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

sandrodream
The castles of Europe

Postby sandrodream » 2016-05-06, 6:43

I will start with some italian Castle enjoy the video :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYWK8VDieqc

sandrodream

Re: the castles of Europe

Postby sandrodream » 2016-05-12, 8:49

The previous video was about the Castles of Northern italy. This new Video is about the castles of Central italy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWGpJm8ac4Y

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2016-06-04, 20:23

Castles? they're cool, I guess.

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2016-06-10, 23:48

My municipality has a sort of fairy-tale castle, but contrary to the one in Bavaria, it's genuine and not built by a mad king :P

It's a Medieval castle whose original purpose was to provide a safe place for the bishops in the diocese to retreat to, especially since it was on the pilgrim route from most of Sweden to Nidaros, modern-day Trondheim. The reason it looks like a fairy-tale castle today is that it was remodelled in the 17th century and the owner had even grander plans, it was just that they couldn't physically make it into a Baroque palace like the Versailles, so...

It's also situated at the edge of one of the world's largest freshwater archipelagos.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2016-06-15, 16:24

Johanna wrote:My municipality has a sort of fairy-tale castle, but contrary to the one in Bavaria, it's genuine and not built by a mad king :P

I thought sandrodream meant this thread to be about music videos with castles, but maybe not necessarily since he didn't specify.

uzferry

Postby uzferry » 2016-06-15, 18:29

OldBoring wrote:I thought sandrodream meant this thread to be about music videos with castles, but maybe not necessarily since he didn't specify.

What would make more sense? Not every castle has its own music video :|

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2016-06-15, 18:33

uzferry wrote:What would make more sense? Not every castle has its own music video :|

It doesn't make sense, but if you look at other posts by sandrodream, all the threads he opens are about "music videos shot in XXX"...

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Re: The castles of Europe

Postby Johanna » 2016-06-18, 1:21

As a forum admin:
admin

Another music thread will be merged into already existing ones, unless there's a very compelling reason for keeping it separate, we've got enough as it is.

As another member: I like this thread :-)

By the way, did I tell you that the nobleman, Magnus Gabriel De la Gardie, who did the main remodelling of the castle pretty much made the entire country bankrupt due to being prime minister, foreign minister, and the minister of finance, all in one, thus being able to spend the Crown's money as he saw fit? The main money drain was his castles and palaces, among those Läckö, which was sort of the jewel in his crown; he had palaces in Stockholm and the surrounding areas but his county was centred here.

Magnus Gabriel's luck ran out when Charles XI came of age though, the king saw what sorry state his country was in because of overspending and decided to do something about the nobility owning most of the land in it. Magnus Gabriel was completely devastated by this, he thought that being a nobleman should have saved him from any consequences when it came to almost making the country bankrupt... let's just say that most modern people go "muhahahahaha" about the whole affair :P
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Re: The castles of Europe

Postby Luís » 2016-06-18, 12:06

Last weekend was a long one here in Portugal, so I ended up visiting a few places I had never been before, including a few castles (not that hard, considering almost every town has one :P )

One of my favorites is Almourol Castle, located in a small island in the Tagus river. You can only access it by boat, which makes it even more charming.

Marvão. The whole village (of about 500) is located inside the castle walls on top of a mountain. The views are awesome.

The castle at Arraiolos is completely round, which is something unusual for a castle around here.

Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

Return to “Culture”