Rock of all kinds

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

What subgenres do you listen to?

Hard
10%
Glam
4%
Shoegaze
6%
Math
4%
Experimental
6%
Alternative
10%
Punk
8%
Post-Rock
8%
Emo
2%
Garage
2%
Symphonic
2%
Grunge
4%
Country/Rockabilly
2%
Folk
8%
Electronic
6%
Psychedelic
4%
Progressive
10%
Ambient
4%
Other
4%

Total votes: 52

Koko
Rock of all kinds

Postby Koko » 2016-05-06, 4:34

Vijay's comment in the metal thread inspired me to start a thread on rock: my all-time favourite genre, even above kawaiimetal (sorry Babymetal). Here, let's have discussions on our favourite rock artists/bands, post rock in any language, and other fun things to do with rock!

Ooh, I wonder if I should do a poll to see what kinda rock subgenres you guys like to listen to :hmm: Yes! If any of you are as into rock as I am, surely a majority of these subgenres will be marked :lol:

I personally really enjoy the math, post, ambient (and ambient post-rock), experimental and alternative variants. Especially math. Such great mastery of the drums and guitar are required, it's such ear rape beauty ^^ Haven't really listened to many other subgenres, except punk and country, but I'm more than willing to try others.

Koko

Re: Rock of all kinds

Postby Koko » 2016-05-06, 4:49

I'm so prepared for all the Sigúr Rós that's coming :lol:

Yserenhart

Postby Yserenhart » 2016-05-06, 11:18

Koko wrote:it's such ear rape beauty ^^

Since when was the word "rape" used for something good? Even in a hyperbolic metaphorical sense, it's for something negative; and honestly, using it in such a hyperbolic metaphorical sense should be avoided anyway.
Native: Derbyshire English (en-GB)/New Zealand English (en-NZ) Learning: Vlaams (nl-BE)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-05-06, 15:41

Yserenhart wrote:Since when was the word "rape" used for something good?

Since it was used for the vegetable?

Yserenhart

Postby Yserenhart » 2016-05-06, 16:13

vijayjohn wrote:
Yserenhart wrote:Since when was the word "rape" used for something good?

Since it was used for the vegetable?

Did you mean ear canola beauty? Or ear rutabaga beauty?

Surely the context was obvious; and clearly not referring to the plant that is much more commonly called by a variety of other names, depending on the subspecies; and in general for the species is just as often called something other than rape (rapeseed and rapa being common).
Native: Derbyshire English (en-GB)/New Zealand English (en-NZ) Learning: Vlaams (nl-BE)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2016-05-06, 16:48

Getting back on topic....

Oh cool thread Koko! I love rock just about as much as I love metal! :D

I mostly listen to hard, grudge, progressive, and, oddly enough, shoegaze. I haven't listened to too many other styles.

Actually a few of the bands I just posted in the metal thread this morning could easily be considered rock (and in actuality are rock :lol: ). I would have posted them here, had I saw this thread earlier.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2016-05-06, 22:27

Yes! I love when people love things I love :mrgreen: :partyhat:

I've honestly only heard one shoegaze band (Pinkshinyultrablast), and it was only half a 16~20min album :lol: I liked it, but I haven't heard anymore so…

I seriously have a hard time differentiating rock from metal sometimes. Some bands I've listened to have been considered heavy metal, but prior to finding that out I was like "What a great rock group!" Rarely the reverse happens, where I mistake a rock group for metal, since if it ain't got heavy distortion, it can't possibly be metal. This is why I thought Ohhms might be post-metal, but turns out they're just stoner/psychedelic/doom rock (that combination might be what makes post-metal though :lol: ).

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2016-05-06, 22:42

The main shoegaze band I've heard is Alcest. There are also influences of shoegaze in some metal bands I've heard. Unfortunately names escape me at the moment.

Yeah, Ohhms struck me as kind of similar to Sun O))). That's primarily drone metal, an offshoot of doom. Though Sun O))) likes to be a bit more atmospheric and play more with their music.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2016-05-06, 23:04

The Sun O))) song (It Took The Night To Believe) you posted in the metal thread this morning was the only one I listened to so far. The name and sound were too similar to Ohhms.

I love atmospheric anything, prolly why ambient post-rock appeals so much to me :)

I should post some of my underground music here. Basically 100% of it is post-rock, but some of it is math (of course) :mrgreen:

Koko

Postby Koko » 2016-05-07, 6:30

I said I would post my underground rock, so here's a full 32min ep :D

pg.lost is a Swedish, post-rock instrumental band. Their music is often described as melancholic, but the first word that comes to my mind is beautiful, and then amazing and grand. They truly have to be my favourite band. I love them so much and haven't stopped talking about them since I found them. I discovered them Sunday (or even last Saturday). Anyways, enough of my rambling:

pg.lost — Yes I Am ep
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ntqTkXOVXwA

Favourite album of theirs too. In Never Out comes second. (first time I've ever been sure of favourites, so they have to be special)

Koko

Postby Koko » 2016-05-09, 2:50

Here's "Those Luminous Noises Are God" by Pretend

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cxb38JvXi2M

uzferry

Postby uzferry » 2016-05-10, 13:59

Koko wrote:Here's "Those Luminous Noises Are God" by Pretend

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cxb38JvXi2M

It reminded me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqKswclVOuE

Koko

Postby Koko » 2016-05-14, 1:46

I'm so ashamed! :lol: I bought an album by a band I didn't know [I knew], and was all "Hah! I should get this just because no one would know them! :silly: Such a hipster boii!" But I listen to the first song. No recognition. Second track starts, thought I didn't know, and was all "Dude, they're a pretty dece punk band!" And then comes the chorus and I realize it's one of the most popular songs of the early 2000's: I Hear You Calling by Gob :doh:

At least I found a song I actually really liked growing up! So many popular songs I loved, I didn't take note of a) the song title and b) the artist/band. Who knew some "obscure" album I got would be one by a band I completely forgot about! :mrgreen:

Oh, since shoegaze and dream pop are basically the same thing, should I mark "shoegaze" since there's a few groups/musicians I listen to who are classified as indie and dream pop?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-05-14, 3:02

I think I've posted a few rock songs here and there before (in various languages, even (American) English!), but I also feel I'm bad at telling genres apart, so I'm hesitant to post the ones I suspect might be rock in this thread. :para:

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2016-05-17, 6:03

Koko

Postby Koko » 2016-05-17, 6:08

Leave it to ol' Borin here t' be the trolias :lol:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-05-17, 6:09

Koko wrote:trolias

Pirmas!

Koko

Postby Koko » 2016-05-17, 6:11

vijayjohn wrote:I think I've posted a few rock songs here and there before (in various languages, even (American) English!), but I also feel I'm bad at telling genres apart, so I'm hesitant to post the ones I suspect might be rock in this thread. :para:

Link me 'em and I shall tell thee which be rock… unless there's more than ten, then just link me five or something.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-05-17, 6:13

Koko wrote:Link me 'em

You mean in a PM? Or on this thread or something?

Koko

Postby Koko » 2016-05-17, 6:59

However you feel

Return to “Culture”