Rock of all kinds

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

What subgenres do you listen to?

Hard
10%
Glam
4%
Shoegaze
6%
Math
4%
Experimental
6%
Alternative
10%
Punk
8%
Post-Rock
8%
Emo
2%
Garage
2%
Symphonic
2%
Grunge
4%
Country/Rockabilly
2%
Folk
8%
Electronic
6%
Psychedelic
4%
Progressive
10%
Ambient
4%
Other
4%

Total votes: 52

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Rock of all kinds

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-05-17, 17:32

OK, first of all, in English, this country song (a modified and much shorter version of which I first heard in Ford commercials growing up) called "God Blessed Texas":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbH60wCO-Yw
This song, an English song called "Free and Young" but from a Malayalam movie Cheppu (1987), was sung by Brenda Lee when she was 42. Brenda Lee also much more famously sang "Rockin' around the Christmas Tree" when she was only 13. This is also one of the first few songs I ever posted on UniLang:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enKHfoZSVZk
This is another one from the southwestern part of Maluku Province in Indonesia (near Timor) with the non-native English lyrics in the subtitles. :lol: ("Kisar," "Roma," "Damer," "Wetar," "Serwaru'," "Ndona Hiera," and "Letwurung" are all place names referring to various areas in this part of Indonesia (yes that includes Roma, or "Ro-ma" as they spell it :P), and kalwedo is a widespread traditional greeting in this region):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfTQlIJgjzc
This is a Cantopop song by Aaron Kwok called "Do Something Crazy," but "Cantopop" apparently just means basically any music in Cantonese that isn't traditional or folk or whatever and can include rock or at least music that's influenced by rock. I remember hearing on an audiocassette I got my dad to buy me shortly after we moved here. It used to make my brother and me laugh, especially because it played right after this song, which even I know is definitely not rock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X06yRr0ttRQ
And this is one I'm pretty sure is rock as well, in Qingtianese! It's the only song in Qingtianese either OldBoring or I know of that doesn't have any swearwords in it, but we also agree the lyrics are pretty dumb. :lol: (There's a version without the lyrics in Hanzi in the subtitles as well):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiLgMpcWmRY

Koko

Postby Koko » 2016-05-17, 22:39

I'll get to those songs in a bit Vijay, but first, I need to know: Who are the other math/post/ambient rockers? :lol: :D You may be my immediate new best friend here :P

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-05-17, 22:42

I seem to remember johnklepac being into math rock, at least, but he isn't here often, and his tastes might have changed over the years for all I know.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2016-05-17, 23:01

Hmm, I hope they speak up: You can't vote for any of those three without peaking my interest :twisted:

K, so I think the only ones I can say for sure aren't rock are the Cantopop and Cheppu song. I'm iffy on the Cantopop song… it has rock elements, but I think the most I can say about it is that it's pop with slight rock-influences. The Cheppu song needs much more guitar; there's too many traditional instruments and way too little rockiness.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-05-17, 23:07

I'm pleasantly surprised at how many of those songs (well, at least tentatively) passed muster with you. :lol:

Dare I try posting some more? :P

Koko

Postby Koko » 2016-05-17, 23:11

Sure! It might help you to learn how to identify rock ;)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-05-17, 23:20

It already is!

So, this is a Thai rock song I once posted in the political songs thread, and I know that because it's by a rock band (Carabao). :P It's called "Made in Thailand" and is about foreign companies exploiting cheap Thai labor to make big profits:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx7uuzXVEF0
This one (that I posted in the same post :lol:) is in Bodo, which is a Sino-Tibetan language spoken in northeastern India and Nepal, particularly in the Indian state of Assam. There has been a movement on and off ever since the 1930s to create a separate state called Bodoland carved out of what is now Assam. This is a song about that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TWufDgZxHA
There are some other songs I was thinking of before, but I'm pretty sure by now that whatever genre they are, they aren't rock. :lol: (They're probably pop songs or something).

So I guess there aren't too many rock songs I personally have posted, but there seem to be tons that people have posted in earlier years, especially back in 2013 and such. I suggest you take a look through the songs thread in particular. ;)

Koko

Postby Koko » 2016-05-18, 0:02

Just to screw Vijay up :twisted: Here's a dream pop song that'll make him question what it means to be rock :P :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/#/watch?v=OzF5pXkwL6o

But honestly, I'm only posting it because it's currently my favourite song since last night. It made me almost say that Orcas were my favourite band, but that still goes to Russian Circles.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-05-18, 0:04

Koko wrote:Just to screw Vijay up :twisted: Here's a dream pop song that'll make him question what it means to be rock :P :lol:

No one's holding a gun to my head and ordering me to listen to it, though! :twisted:

Koko

Postby Koko » 2016-05-18, 0:38

That can be arranged :para:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-05-18, 1:58

:lol:

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2016-05-18, 2:21

Ambient and electronic are rock, really?
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-05-18, 2:28

I think he means ambient rock and electronic rock. After all, folk certainly isn't rock like 99% of the time! :P And "hard" would make no sense in isolation...:lol:

Koko

Postby Koko » 2016-05-18, 3:03

vijayjohn wrote:I think he means ambient rock and electronic rock. After all, folk certainly isn't rock like 99% of the time! :P And "hard" would make no sense in isolation...:lol:

This.

Alternative most certainly doesn't make sense in isolation either, and it is also applicable to various other genres (alt metal, alt pop, alt hiphop, etc).

Clearly not much for rock, eh? :P

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-05-18, 3:23

Actually, I think mōdgethanc has posted some rock songs here and also been sucked into long debates with johnklepac about rock and rock bands before (among other things).

Oh wait, were you talking to me? In that case, yeah, I'm not that much into rock. :P Sorry.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2016-05-18, 4:24

no, was talking to mōd. I would expect someone who is a fan of rock to know ambient and electronic are subgenres of rock, but then again, we all like to stay in our own little areas of comfort and I certainly wouldn't know symphonic was a thing without certain friends :P

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-05-18, 4:41

I think maybe he's trying to say that there's both ambient music and electronic music that isn't rock. (I have no idea whether there is or isn't since I'm not even sure as far as basic information about genres is concerned :P).

(Oh, look, smiley combo :lol:)

Koko

Postby Koko » 2016-05-18, 5:04

There is ;) EDM (electronic dance music) is the most common electronic music today I think (aside from much of today's pop, which is largely electronic). And as for ambient, any genre can be made ambient (except maybe hiphop and vaporwave :hmm: )

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2016-05-18, 15:09

vijayjohn wrote:"God Blessed Texas"

Hmm... Country rock? :lol: Is that a thing?
And this is one I'm pretty sure is rock as well, in Qingtianese! It's the only song in Qingtianese either OldBoring or I know of that doesn't have any swearwords in it, but we also agree the lyrics are pretty dumb. :lol: (There's a version without the lyrics in Hanzi in the subtitles as well)

Wow, I didn't think of it as rock, probably because I was distracted by the dumb lyrics. :lol:

As far as I know, Cantopop or Chinese mainstream music in general tend to be more "pop" than any other genre else, to gather to the vast public. I'd say that most of the Chinese public is not interested to varied genres of music, compared to the West.
In China when you say rock probably most people will think about the band "Beyond", but really, to a Western ear, their music sounds probably like just pop music with a little more drums. :P
Beijing has a big underground rock scene, with musicians who are both Chinese and foreign expats. One day I'd like to go see some concert or performance (I've never been to one). Cause when I search "Beijing rock" on the Internet I only see people with a guitar in hand screaming in Beijing dialect. :lol:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-05-18, 15:30

OldBoring wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:"God Blessed Texas"

Hmm... Country rock? :lol: Is that a thing?

Yes. It's even in that list.
Wow, I didn't think of it as rock, probably because I was distracted by the dumb lyrics. :lol:

:lol: A friend of mine (which pretty much by definition means another UniLanger) normally doesn't listen to any of the songs I post, but he was somewhat relieved when I sent him that one over Skype because at least it had a tune that sounded more "normal" to a Western/European ear. :P
In China when you say rock probably most people will think about the band "Beyond", but really, to a Western ear, their music sounds probably like just pop music with a little more drums. :P

Really? Huh. So...when people in China hear "rock," they don't think of Chinese rock?
Beijing has a big underground rock scene, with musicians who are both Chinese and foreign expats. One day I'd like to go see some concert or performance (I've never been to one). Cause when I search "Beijing rock" on the Internet I only see people with a guitar in hand screaming in Beijing dialect. :lol:

Isn't that pretty much what rock is, though? :lol:

Return to “Culture”