Rock of all kinds

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

What subgenres do you listen to?

Hard
10%
Glam
4%
Shoegaze
6%
Math
4%
Experimental
6%
Alternative
10%
Punk
8%
Post-Rock
8%
Emo
2%
Garage
2%
Symphonic
2%
Grunge
4%
Country/Rockabilly
2%
Folk
8%
Electronic
6%
Psychedelic
4%
Progressive
10%
Ambient
4%
Other
4%

Total votes: 52

Koko
Re: Rock of all kinds

Postby Koko » 2016-05-19, 7:56

Koko wrote:Seas of LedgesYears

Oops

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2016-05-19, 8:11

Koko wrote:Excuse me,
While I kill myself *guitar*
:laser:
Okay, Ian Curtis.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Koko

Postby Koko » 2016-05-19, 8:18

:lol:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-05-22, 3:40

Koko wrote:Excuse me,
While I kill myself *guitar*
:laser:

ダメヨー!ココチャン、カエッテー! :cry:

(You knew I had to say something like that sooner or later! :P).

Koko

Postby Koko » 2016-05-22, 4:36

I am resurfaced as the mighty Supreme Ruler of SRCK :partyhat:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-06-29, 5:34

I know this is late, but yay! :P

So, I found a way to post a song in another dialect of Tzotzil without spamming the two song threads I usually spam! Ah-hah! :lol: This is a song called "Kuxkux," which apparently means 'owl'. It's in a Mayan language called Tzotzil, and specifically in the variety spoken in the municipality of San Juan Chamula in Chiapas (near the western border with Guatemala). The lyrics are included in the video description with a translation into Spanish:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc7LQLYR_0Q

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2016-07-01, 19:54

Koko wrote:Wikipedia calls both New Order and U2 post-punk :hmm: Maybe New Order started out as post-punk, and moved into new wave and later as synthpop.

Or maybe they were all these things at once. As mōdge says, "post-punk" is essentially a chronological term. (Though I would argue that it's not entirely meaningless, as it serves to distinguish those rock/pop performers which incorporated punk influences from those which didn't or which were simply punk. Arena rockers like Toto and Billy Squier came after punk, but they aren't "post-punk" in the sense that their music would have been essentially the same without its existence.) "New Wave" is just the commercial face of post-punk and "synthpop" is any pop music in which the dominant instrumentation is synthesiser. A lot of popular New Wave bands in the 80s played synthpop, but by no means all.

As far as New Order goes, I think PCaL has more synth-driven songs overall than Low-Life, the album released two years later. After that, everything gets a lot more dance-oriented. But they're not one of the first New Wave bands I think of when you say "synthpop". That would be groups like Soft Cell, Human League, Depeche Mode, Thompson Twins, OMD, Yello, Yazoo, etc. (DM and especially Yello occasionally used guitar, but I think the others were all synth all the time.)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2016-07-01, 20:06

linguoboy wrote:"New Wave" is just the commercial face of post-punk and "synthpop" is any pop music in which the dominant instrumentation is synthesiser. A lot of popular New Wave bands in the 80s played synthpop, but by no means all.
When talking about the time period of around 1975-1985, "New Wave" and "synthpop" more or less mean the same thing. But I see New Wave as a subgenre of synthpop since in modern times it's spawned genres like electroclash, coldwave, etc. (These are not rock but electronic.) To me, New Wave is synth-driven pop from the 1980s. Synthpop as a term could refer to New Wave, or Krautrock, or a bunch of other things.
As far as New Order goes, I think PCaL has more synth-driven songs overall than Low-Life, the album released two years later. After that, everything gets a lot more dance-oriented. But they're not one of the first New Wave bands I think of when you say "synthpop". That would be groups like Soft Cell, Human League, Depeche Mode, Thompson Twins, OMD, Yello, Yazoo, etc. (DM and especially Yello occasionally used guitar, but I think the others were all synth all the time.)
Soft Cell, the Human League and Yazoo hardly ever used guitar, if ever, from what I can recall (and I've listened to those bands a lot). Yellow Magic Orchestra and Kraftwerk were the same. The only synthpop artist I listen to regularly who used guitar prominently is David Bowie (during the period from Low to Let's Dance).
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2016-07-01, 20:21

mōdgethanc wrote:
linguoboy wrote:"New Wave" is just the commercial face of post-punk and "synthpop" is any pop music in which the dominant instrumentation is synthesiser. A lot of popular New Wave bands in the 80s played synthpop, but by no means all.
When talking about the time period of around 1975-1985, "New Wave" and "synthpop" more or less mean the same thing.

I disagree. Blondie, Talking Heads, The Vapours, The Romantics, Bow Wow Wow, Modern English, The Police, The Cure, Spandau Ballet, The Cars, and dozens of other bands are all universally considered "New Wave" and not one of them is "synthpop". The identification of "New Wave" with "synthpop" seems to be a peculiarly North American development from the mid-80s (generally recognised as the end of the "New Wave") onwards.

mōdgethanc wrote:The only synthpop artist I listen to regularly who used guitar prominently is David Bowie (during the period from Low to Let's Dance).

I would not consider Bowie synthpop at all at any stage of his career. His music has always been primarily guitar-driven, no matter how much Eno fiddled with it in the studio.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2016-07-02, 3:41

linguoboy wrote:I disagree. Blondie, Talking Heads, The Vapours, The Romantics, Bow Wow Wow, Modern English, The Police, The Cure, Spandau Ballet, The Cars, and dozens of other bands are all universally considered "New Wave" and not one of them is "synthpop". The identification of "New Wave" with "synthpop" seems to be a peculiarly North American development from the mid-80s (generally recognised as the end of the "New Wave") onwards.
Good point. I don't know most of those bands well, but I do know Blondie, Talking Heads, and the Police very well, and they definitely had a lot of guitar (Blondie used the synth as well, but the other two didn't really).

Let's say they overlap significantly, but are not the same. Think of a Venn diagram.
I would not consider Bowie synthpop at all at any stage of his career. His music has always been primarily guitar-driven, no matter how much Eno fiddled with it in the studio.
Parts of the Berlin Trilogy are pretty synth-heavy and don't have guitar. But it's too avant-garde to be pop.

Come to think of it, even Let's Dance, which was very poppy, still had a lot of guitar on it. So let's just call that period of his career New Wave. Calling it synthpop was a blunder on my part.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Koko

Postby Koko » 2016-09-07, 5:09

I am obsessing over Interpol's Paul Banks voice. Jesus it's beautiful.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2016-10-15, 22:16

Is anyone like, REALLY into noise rock and noise pop? So much of my time spent on listening to music is on those two genres. HEALTH and Japandroids gotta be my two fave noise rock bands. Sonic Youth is high up there too.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-11-13, 3:03

Cross-posting (from the "what song are you listening to" thread) a song in Mam (I think), another Mayan language spoken in Guatemala, called "Txe' Joj" by a Maya rock band called B'aktun Cero. One of my professors (in one of my undergrad classes) had done fieldwork on this language for years:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfued5_rwIc
Last edited by vijayjohn on 2016-11-17, 1:43, edited 1 time in total.

opipik

Postby opipik » 2016-11-14, 20:27

I'm listening to this song for the 4th time now and I have to say that the singer can't handle high tones and sings a bit false. (But the song itself is good)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-11-15, 6:15

Yeah, although I'm honestly not sure whether I'd be able to sing those notes any better myself. :lol: I'm glad to see you liked it, though!

opipik

Postby opipik » 2016-11-15, 16:54

Speaking of rock in minority languages, I have to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1baOxLwccB8

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-06, 5:08

This is a rock song apparently performed last year in Pizzonese, Michael's native language! :D (For anyone who doesn't know: Pizzonese is a variety of Neapolitan spoken in Pizzone, in the far northwestern part of the Italian region of Molise. Neapolitan is a language spoken in much of southern Italy, including but by no means limited to Naples). It was performed at an annual song festival featuring songs from all over Molise. This particular band is called Jamm Bell, and this song is called "Miesuorn":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vdRYf_1keQ
Last edited by vijayjohn on 2017-12-06, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2017-12-06, 14:41

vijayjohn wrote:Pizzonese is a variety of Neapolitan spoken in Pizzone, in the far northwestern part of the Italian province region of Molise.

Molise is a region. A province is an administrative subdivision of a region. For example, Molise has two provinces: Campobasso and Isernia.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-06, 15:53

Oops. Thanks! Will fix.

Return to “Culture”