Peanut Butter and ....? sandwich

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Peanut Butter and ....? sandwich

Postby Johanna » 2014-09-15, 23:44

Peanut butter is only a thing in pastries here, and they're fairly recent and meant to mimic the taste of a Snickers bar.

Sandwiches are supposed to be savoury, not sweet.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2014-09-16, 5:46

I can't imagine life without peanut butter. D: It's been one of my favorite things all my life. :lol: Especially chunky peanut butter. And all you PB&J haters, you should reconsider. It's delicious. :D
Native:            (en-US)
Advanced:       (eu)
Just started:    (cs)
Trans woman  Image

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2014-09-16, 7:04

Lowena wrote:And all you PB&J haters, you should reconsider. It's delicious. :D

In pastries it's nice, on sandwiches it's too sweet ;)
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-09-16, 8:52

Are your pastries not sweet already? I would think peanut butter on a pastry would be sweeter than pb on bread.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2014-09-16, 13:33

Lowena wrote:And all you PB&J haters, you should reconsider. It's delicious. :D

I've tried it, and it was okay, but I was left without a good use case for it. As a snack it feels unhealthy and as a dessert there are just so many better things.

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2014-09-16, 14:49

Johanna wrote:

This,
I remember when I was a kid, and we visited some American friends of my father living in Belgium,
we stayed there for a few days, and boy,
those breakfasts were horrible,
open sandwiches with strawberry jam (or supersweet peanut butter) and ham or pepperoni on top of it. :? It wasn't the smörgås I love.
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति
learning in 2019: (no-nn)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-09-16, 15:42

Linguistic note: PB&Js? I know them as just "PBJs".

TeneReef wrote:open sandwiches with strawberry jam (or supersweet peanut butter) and ham or pepperoni on top of it.

That's just freakin' weird.

I suppose you could call this a kind of sandwich if you were being generous, but one of our favourite lunches as children was graham crackers with peanut butter and raisins. They taste okay, but the real appeal was that you could press the raisins into the peanut butter any way you liked, so we would go crazy making various designs.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

loqu

Postby loqu » 2014-09-16, 16:22

Koko wrote:Are your pastries not sweet already? I would think peanut butter on a pastry would be sweeter than pb on bread.

After reading this and remembering the time I tasted some American peanut butter - I want to add that the peanut butter sold here is NOT sugared. So it just tastes like peanut. Only peanut. It's like eating raw peanuts.

I don't know about the rest of Europe, but I remember the one I tried in Germany wasn't sweet either.
Нека људи уживају у стварима.
Let people enjoy things.

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2014-09-16, 17:22

Johanna wrote:Peanut butter is only a thing in pastries here, and they're fairly recent and meant to mimic the taste of a Snickers bar.

But peanut butter isn't sweet, is it? It's... nutty.

Oh, what loqu says :oops:

And I like to share this related video to show my surprise at the amount of people who live in non-peanut butter countries:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo-GS0InYm4
Native: Dutch
Learns: Latin and French
Knows also (a bit): English, German, Turkish, Danish

Corrections appreciated.

Lada

Postby Lada » 2014-09-16, 18:39

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:And I like to share this related video to show my surprise at the amount of people who live in non-peanut butter countries:

I've never watched peanut butter commercial before and... yes, it has never been a thing here. I saw it in hypermarkets and it was imported from US I think and was very expensive. People just don't eat that here and won't eat in the nearest future for sure due to sanctions.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-09-16, 18:46

linguoboy wrote:Linguistic note: PB&Js? I know them as just "PBJs".

That sounds weird. I mean, sure sometimes we say peanut butter jam sandwiches(sometime is key word), but once it's abbreviated the "&" must be there.

Dialectal, I suppose.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-09-16, 18:55

How do you abbreviate "bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwich"?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2014-09-16, 19:24

Lada wrote:
Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:And I like to share this related video to show my surprise at the amount of people who live in non-peanut butter countries:

I've never watched peanut butter commercial before and... yes, it has never been a thing here. I saw it in hypermarkets and it was imported from US I think and was very expensive. People just don't eat that here and won't eat in the nearest future for sure due to sanctions.

Well, at least Russians don't seem to need peanut butter to become good sporters!
Native: Dutch
Learns: Latin and French
Knows also (a bit): English, German, Turkish, Danish

Corrections appreciated.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-09-16, 20:08

Lazar Taxon wrote:A variant that's particular to New England is the Fluffernutter, made with peanut butter and marshmallow creme.

I never realised these originated in Massachusetts. I simply assumed that--like everything in our national cuisine so sweet it's gross--they were from the South.

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2014-09-16, 22:47

linguoboy wrote:How do you abbreviate "bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwich"?

BLT.

I've always heard peanut butter and jelly sandwich as PB&J, and use that myself. Who knows. :lol:
Native:            (en-US)
Advanced:       (eu)
Just started:    (cs)
Trans woman  Image

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-09-16, 23:38

linguoboy wrote:How do you abbreviate "bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwich"?

BLT, obviously. But that's universal. Opposite to what you said earlier, I know them as just PB&Js.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-09-17, 0:49

So yeah, it's obviously peanut better and jelly sandwiches here (though I've read about other kinds like peanut butter and banana). Unfortunately, I'm allergic to peanuts, so I just eat (toasted) jelly sandwiches. My brother and I have also found from experience that it's the best food to eat if you think you'll vomit (usually if you have a fever).
Last edited by vijayjohn on 2014-09-17, 3:23, edited 1 time in total.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-09-17, 2:46

My partner reminded me that he eats peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwiches, but--his claims to the contrary notwithstanding--he's the only person I've ever known to do that. (He claims Elvis ate them, too, but he's associated with peanut butter and banana sandwiches (sometimes with bacon as well).)

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2014-09-17, 11:10

TeneReef wrote:
Johanna wrote:

This,
I remember when I was a kid, and we visited some American friends of my father living in Belgium,
we stayed there for a few days, and boy,
those breakfasts were horrible,
open sandwiches with strawberry jam (or supersweet peanut butter) and ham or pepperoni on top of it. :? It wasn't the smörgås I love.

I've lived in Belgium most of my life and I've never heard of such a combination. My mother used to put cheese and jam together on a sandwich, which I always thought gross, but ham or pepperoni with jam? Never. That must have been their American side and nothing to do with Belgium. :P

Personally, I'd never have peanut butter with anything but simple bread.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-09-17, 12:33

Aurinĭa wrote:I've lived in Belgium most of my life and I've never heard of such a combination. My mother used to put cheese and jam together on a sandwich, which I always thought gross, but ham or pepperoni with jam? Never. That must have been their American side and nothing to do with Belgium.

Well, I've lived in the USA almost all of my life, and I've never heard of such a combination (except in the context of weird pregnancy cravings like the classic "pickles and ice cream"). Seems like something unique to that particular family.

Return to “Culture”