Tourists by country - their knowledge about your place

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Levo
Tourists by country - their knowledge about your place

Postby Levo » 2014-01-12, 1:28

Has any of you have some general observation from tourists from the same country, what they usually know about your country when they come and visit?

Sometimes I'm impressed by how some tourists from a certain country always know a lot about my place, while from some countries the opposite is observable.

Do you have any similar observations regarding your place?

So, don't take my list so accurate, as I might have met all the time the extremes, still after many people I have the following impression:

In Hungary,

Brits
- usually know the name of the country, the spelling of Budapest and otherwise have no idea where they are.

Dutch - surprisingly informed about Hungary most of the cases

Poles - visiting Hungary seem to know quite a lot about history, culture, habits, etc... Well I don't wonder :)

Swedes - spiced with their infamous naivity :), almost all I met seemed to had been informed about some interesting facts about the country. It's also very interesting that nearly all of them was keen on religion and some stuff we never considered important about Hungary.

French - like Brits - no idea where they actually are.
Spanish - the same as above. [Note, once I met Basques. They were very different, rather inquiring. But that's only one case]
Americans - those visiting Hungary from overseas seem to be a bit more educated than the others above. But mostly are not that interested in the country as usually they are on round-trips in Europe.
Canadians - From Canada I never met anyone that uninformed either. And somehow quite many seemed to know a lot about Hungary in his/her certain interests. As if they were always some kind of "field-trip" visitors :)
Germans Rather educated than not.
Greeks - visiting Hungary seem to know a stuff or two about Hungary and especially its history.

Again, only my private observations :)

Anything similar over there?

IpseDixit

Re: Tourists by country - their knowledge about your place

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-01-12, 2:10

Americans - those visiting Hungary from overseas seem to be a bit more educated than the others above. But mostly are not that interested in the country as usually they are on round-trips in Europe.

Nice to know that not all of them are like her :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cey35bBWXls

gorilla

Postby gorilla » 2014-01-12, 14:05

I think there are several problems with this.

Most of us don't meet enough people from all these countries to make an informed observation.
Also, there is a huge bias by observing only those who come to our country. Maybe in some countries many people can afford to travel, so the proportion of "educated" people will be lower. And from another country you may observe that all are educated but it's only because the rest stay at home. Traveling requires money and motivation.
You have a very small sample of tourists, you can not generalize this to a whole nation. I know you didn't say that, but then what's the point?

Also, I cannot believe that there is a substantial number of British tourists who do NOT know what country they are in. You imply this by saying that Brits *usually* know the name of the country.

Levo

Postby Levo » 2014-01-12, 16:38

gorilla wrote:I think there are several problems with this.

Most of us don't meet enough people from all these countries to make an informed observation.
Also, there is a huge bias by observing only those who come to our country. Maybe in some countries many people can afford to travel, so the proportion of "educated" people will be lower. And from another country you may observe that all are educated but it's only because the rest stay at home. Traveling requires money and motivation.
You have a very small sample of tourists, you can not generalize this to a whole nation. I know you didn't say that, but then what's the point?

Also, I cannot believe that there is a substantial number of British tourists who do NOT know what country they are in. You imply this by saying that Brits *usually* know the name of the country.

Gorilla, this is just kind of a play here :) I said like three times. And this is not about generalizing people living there.

I agree with the points up there, I think so too that maybe let's say - and again, just an example, Norwegians - usually come here with a certain aim, or only those Norwegians are coming who have a certain thing to do here, like visiting their friend studying medicine... good exmaple? :)
So I believe so too.
Still believe me, I do meet a lot of the ones above, so I can have an experience. And I wrote many times that this is just mine :)

The point of the topic is, if others also have such observations? Not generalising as you said :)

And with the British example, not knowing where they are, obviously I meant, that they have no clue about the local habits, have no idea about how people live here, some not even knowing the official language, etc... I thought that's obvious. I didn't literally mean they couldn't point themselves on the map :) Or had never heard about this country before.

Return to “Culture”