Cash as gift

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

md0
Cash as gift

Postby md0 » 2013-12-24, 8:07

So, I'm reading that in Western Europe it is seen as crass to offer cash as a gift, say, for someone's birthday or on the occasion of Christmas, and that this is the reason gift cards were created, to get around this cultural taboo.

But that's a generalisation. What's the specifics in your culture?

Here for one, I don't think that there's a taboo against giving cash as gift in Cyprus.

First of all, there are two occasions that it's obligatory:
1. Wedding receptions. You are supposed to give a little envelope with some amount 30~50EUR (at least in my social class). You write the name of your family on the envelope. You give the envelope to the couple who are standing to greet every guest.

2. The concept of Πουλουστρίνα, which is soon: on the 6th of January, the Theophany, colloquially known as Feast of Lights in Cyprus. On that day elders give a small amount of cash to the young members of the neighbourhood. There's supposed to be some carol-singing thing in it, but it's usually skipped.

Now, the non obligatory case: Birthdays. You can give cash if you know the person well (if you do not, you'd try to find a cheap generic gift). Aside the obvious case of older people giving cash, I remember giving and receiving cash from/to peers, ie classmates back when I was a student.
Of course that's an option, not necessarily what you want to do. I'm more likely to give books as gifts to people I know well.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

Levike

Re: Cash as gift

Postby Levike » 2013-12-24, 9:58

Well, we give money to family members as a gift, or alongside normal gifts.

When it's about other people, even if about close ones, money is a bit of a taboo.

But when it's about weddings or similar situations everyone gives money. It's not optional.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2013-12-24, 19:44

Here cash as a gift is only limited to grandparents and other relatives (and it's ok on any occasion where a present is usually needed, so Christmas and Easter but also the First Communion, Confirmation, Wedding, Birthday etc etc). It would be extremely odd if friends did that.

The concept of Πουλουστρίνα, which is soon: on the 6th of January, the Theophany, colloquially known as Feast of Lights in Cyprus.

Here it's called Epiphany or colloquially la Befana, because we have this legend that on Epiphany night a witch called Befana brings sweets to good children and coal to bad children. A sort of second Santa.

kibo

Postby kibo » 2013-12-24, 20:17

Here giving money instead of presents at weddings has become quite a widespread custom nowadays. But I don't think it's really culture-related. Just a couple of decades ago the norm was to buy a present. But nowadays people find cash more useful instead of getting 5 microwave ovens, 10 irons, 15 dining sets when they only need one of each. :P And it's easier for the guests, they don't have to think much about what to buy.

It's also customary for family members to give money as a present (older to younger ones) for birthdays, holidays and some other important events (graduation etc.).

Giving money to a friend for a birthday... personally, I wouldn't do it (although I've heard of such cases!), but I'd prefer to buy or make something a bit more personal and functional.
Goals:
[flag=]es[/flag] ➜ C1 (DELE)
[flag=]de[/flag] ➜ B2 (Goethe-Zertifikat) / C1
[flag=]sv[/flag] ➜ B1/B2

Marah

Postby Marah » 2013-12-25, 13:27

I think kibo summed up the situation quite well for France as well. :)
Par exemple, l'enfant croit au Père Noël. L'adulte non. L'adulte ne croit pas au Père Noël. Il vote.

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2013-12-26, 0:24

meidei wrote:So, I'm reading that in Western Europe it is seen as crass to offer cash as a gift, say, for someone's birthday or on the occasion of Christmas, and that this is the reason gift cards were created, to get around this cultural taboo.

But that's a generalisation. What's the specifics in your culture?

In Sweden it's kind of the other way around these days, people get angry if they don't get cash.

Or rather, if they have wished for (read: requested) something specific they like that option better, but if you haven't received a very specific wish, or you go with something you know will be appreciated nevertheless: cash is king.

An example of something specific which probably reads like a request: my mother asked me what I wished for Christmas this year, I said "a new pair of winter boots", she then asked "what boots?", and I took her to the shop I had previously browsed and showed her the pair I was thinking of buying but didn't know if I could afford. Perfect.

It's not as bad as it sounds though. I had used my old boots for 8 years and they were falling apart, and like I said, I was thinking of buying this new pair myself. But I'm pretty broke, due to a clinical depression I'm living on welfare, and I knew they were just within the limit my parents put on Christmas gifts :)

If I had got something I didn't need though, including a gift card to a store that don't have what I really need, I would have sulked a bit. Sure, it's the thought that counts, but I'm pressed for money as it is, so getting something that only ends up in a box or gets thrown away – while my siblings get cash or useful stuff, as per my parents' practice – I would have felt bullied to be honest, even if I know It's a first world problem :oops:

And by the way, I was really happy about both my grandmothers' cash gifts. Now I can afford my cat's insurance and yearly shots, and go to Gothenburg for New Year, and still afford to eat OK throughout January :)
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

Garethw87

Postby Garethw87 » 2013-12-26, 3:15

In England, it doesn't really matter that much. There are gift cards for everything but if you bought say a teenager a gift card (a generic one for a various number of different stores) they will most likely sell it to their parents for the same amount to get the cash instead. If you bought somebody who loved say, going to the cinema, a cineword cinema gift card then they'd probably just use it.

For instance this year I received money from my parents, random pointless junky type gifts off my siblings and from work they gave everybody a gift card. Work places seem to like giving gift cards still.
TIKAI RIGA
Native:[flag=]en-GB[/flag] - Full time:[flag=]fr[/flag][flag=]de[/flag] - Casual:[flag=]yue.hant[/flag] - Eventually:[flag=]lv[/flag][flag=]lu[/flag][flag=]zh[/flag]

Lada

Postby Lada » 2013-12-26, 12:09

Marah wrote:I think kibo summed up the situation quite well for France as well. :)

And for Russia too. Though in my family we don't present cash to each other - we still like being surprised. But when my grandmother was alive she always gave me cash.
And during last time I think that "impressions" or "service/knowledge" has become a present that people more and more often give. Like I bought a certificate for "spa manicure" to my friend and bought Cirque du Soleil tickets for my parents. Also I got online course on photography and my friend got a certificate for a roof excursion. Impressions and knowledge are that kind of present that will stay with you forever.

Return to “Culture”