Conservative and Progressive People and Tradition

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Domi333
Conservative and Progressive People and Tradition

Postby Domi333 » 2013-10-04, 7:17

Hey,
I've studied some Anthropology and Sociology at university.
At the moment I'm debating Western, progressive societies and conservative societies ( as well as conservative and progressive people within both).
At times I feel that progressive people tend not to observe traditions and customs as much but I realise this is a generalisation.
It's hard to say but I do feel that this ends up being the case a lot. Conservative people tend to focus more on the past and continuing it (although in the US and Australia conservative can be purely about economic policies as well).

What are your thoughts?
L1: [flag=]en -AU[/flag], speaks: [flag=]fr[/flag], [flag=]pt -BR[/flag], [flag=]mfe[/flag] Learning: [flag=]grc[/flag] [flag=]tr[/flag]

Lauren

Re: Conservative and Progressive People and Tradition

Postby Lauren » 2013-10-04, 7:53

Domi333 wrote:At times I feel that progressive people tend not to observe traditions and customs as much but I realise this is a generalisation.

Isn't that the very definition of being progressive...?
Native:            (en-US)
Advanced:       (eu)
Just started:    (cs)
Trans woman  Image

dkatbena

Postby dkatbena » 2013-10-04, 17:19

Domi333 wrote:Hey,
I've studied some Anthropology and Sociology at university.
At the moment I'm debating Western, progressive societies and conservative societies ( as well as conservative and progressive people within both).
At times I feel that progressive people tend not to observe traditions and customs as much but I realise this is a generalisation.
It's hard to say but I do feel that this ends up being the case a lot. Conservative people tend to focus more on the past and continuing it (although in the US and Australia conservative can be purely about economic policies as well).

What are your thoughts?

Progressive- accepting new thoughts/systems? Conservative- preserving the old culture? Hi Domi333! there are societies that are formed by several migrations within few decades and these types almost lost their old culture.They developed and accepted systems/ways that are helpful for their lifestyles.I think they are more on the side of progressive type.Those groups situated in isolated areas/geographies tend to be more conservative because they are not familiar with new lifestyles or they have difficulties to have new ideas or systems for their simple ways of living. In between these two (Cons and Progres) are type of societies that love/accept both old and new ideas, the new system for their new lifestyle while young and active then at certain age bracket they tend to go back to their own old system because of sentimental values that made them have contentment in life. At certain age of men, they have to re create their own world(past life-culture) in order to simplify life's need for contentment/enjoyment which is not the case of busy lifestyles of progressive societies.
Kapionan ey mangyedi de inoman a manoloson de benal a Makyedyepat! eye a Makyedyepat.

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2013-10-05, 16:27

Norwegian Progress Party is conservative. :wink:
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति
learning in 2019: (no-nn)

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2013-10-05, 16:34

I think there's no need to study sociology and anthropology to come to such banal conclusions.

Return to “Culture”