Funny family names

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

CityBird
Re: Funny family names

Postby CityBird » 2014-03-24, 14:44

I remember me asking my new classmate on the very first school day of the 5th year of secondary school what her name was and recall her being a bit evasive at the time. The why of this evasiveness became all to clear to me later that day when she finally revealed, slightly red-faced, that her name was De Neucker which literally translates as "The f**ker" :).

Anyway, both of us bursted into laughter and got along very well for the rest of the year.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-03-28, 10:15

[flag=]it[/flag] Castracane (dog castrator)

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2014-03-28, 16:49

My family name means "crucian carp". I have no idea why, and it's not even a common name. There is a lake with the same name in the north of Poland, but my family is, AFAIK, from Kraków.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-03-28, 17:27

mōdgethanc wrote:My family name means "crucian carp". I have no idea why, and it's not even a common name.

Metonymic for a fisher/fishmonger?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2014-03-29, 3:53

linguoboy wrote:Metonymic for a fisher/fishmonger?
Could be. It's a species of fish that's eaten in eastern Europe. But I like my theory about a geographic origin - except that I have nothing concrete to back it up.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

md0

Postby md0 » 2014-03-29, 4:04

Not sure if funny, but definitely weirds me out: the Greek surname Χούντας (Khúndas > junta-er, aka one related to the military dictatorship).

Eg, this guy is called Kóstas Khúndas, an former newscaster in Greece

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsbKaqlL8Hs
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

ling

Postby ling » 2014-03-29, 4:57

Handcock
Gotobed
Smellie
Hardmeat
Native: [flag=]en[/flag] Advanced: [flag=]zh[/flag] Actively studying: [flag=]th[/flag][flag=]id[/flag] Passively dabbling: [flag=]lkt[/flag]

Return to “Culture”