EQ or book-learning - in your general education

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Levo
EQ or book-learning - in your general education

Postby Levo » 2013-04-10, 14:36

I've been to several countries, lived in different ones and have many friends and acquaintances from abroad.
What I see is that different cultures put a different importance on: developing a good EQ or higher emotional intelligence in bringing up their children vs. developing a good scholarship/book-learning or lexical knowledge.

In your culture, or the place where you live, which do you think gets more importance in a person's upbringing?

I can have a start:
In Hungary, lexical knowledge is - in my opinion: unfortunately - gets disproportionately more importance. It is considered "rude" not to know a lot of historical facts and we also learn a lot of things in mathematics at the age of 16 which are taught only at university in other countries, while it is not considered a shame to not know how to behave in different social situations.

Like, how rude you are that you cannot tell by heart the name of the seven founding tribes; at the same time it is not rude or a shame not to listen to the other's opinion or not being able to hug a friend, or not being able to communicate in a proper way.

While I noticed that tha latter one does count more in Scandinavian and Northern-Finno-Ugrian cultures.

How is it at you?

dorenda

Re: EQ or book-learning - in your general education

Postby dorenda » 2013-04-10, 22:17

In Poland learning the facts is more important and in the Netherlands learning the skills. Not just interpersonal skills, also things like critical thinking and problem solving.

And that makes me feel a bit dumb sometimes when I don't know simple facts that every Pole seems to know. :?
нехай мій гаманець порожній
моя дорога невідома
я стану вільним, подорожнім
найголовніше вийти з дому

Levo

Postby Levo » 2013-04-11, 8:58

That's exactly the thing I was interested in :)

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-05-26, 2:37

The U.S. is comically biased against book-learning rather than EQ. Reading books is generally seen as a nerdy activity; many teenagers just have "I Dont Read" in the "Books" section of their Facebook profiles. Something like 20% of Americans can't even find their own country on a world map. Americans' overall EQ score I'm not sure about (we're mostly extraverted but seen as rude and ignorant by most of the world, for what that's worth), but undoubtedly it's higher.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-05-26, 4:21

johnklepac wrote:The U.S. is comically biased against book-learning rather than EQ. Reading books is generally seen as a nerdy activity; many teenagers just have "I Dont Read" in the "Books" section of their Facebook profiles. Something like 20% of Americans can't even find their own country on a world map. Americans' overall EQ score I'm not sure about (we're mostly extraverted but seen as rude and ignorant by most of the world, for what that's worth), but undoubtedly it's higher.
Have no fear; this is caused by an acute condition known to non-medical laymen as being in high school. The symptoms may seem to worsen near the end but the prognosis is generally quite good provided the subject manages to enter a state of remission called graduation.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-05-26, 15:36

mōdgethanc wrote:Have no fear; this is caused by an acute condition known to non-medical laymen as being in high school. The symptoms may seem to worsen near the end but the prognosis is generally quite good provided the subject manages to enter a state of remission called graduation.

I wish. It's amazing how little people can know after going through high school.

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2013-05-28, 10:52

It's true what dorenda says, in the Netherlands there is quite some attention on how you do things (presentation skills, giving your opinion, technical reading) and lots of people barely know historical facts like when the Dutch Republic was founded and stuff like that (not implying that I do...).

However, this is changing, because it became a bit awkward that people didn't have any knowledge about spelling but could very well argue why they didn't need to learn spelling. So now it's all facts and lexical knowledge again.
Native: Dutch
Learns: Latin and French
Knows also (a bit): English, German, Turkish, Danish

Corrections appreciated.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2013-05-28, 13:22

Here in Romania it is all about scholarship/book-learning/lexical knowledge.
Everybody is expecting us to know every little detail about every unimportant subject.

And about emotional intelligence/skills, well nobody cares.

Return to “Culture”