Pretending to be foreigners

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Saaropean
Re: Chaplin left the USA accused of being communist

Postby Saaropean » 2002-11-29, 10:46

Weldal wrote:
Morris wrote:Was there really a question about communism? Surely that wouldn't hold up in court

Well, in the 50's Charles Chaplin (yes, exactly the English genius of the cinema) was forced to leave the USA only because he was accused of being communist... :roll:

That was in the Cold War, where "America" feared communism. :evil: The cold war has long been over. Now we're in the "war against terrorism", where Muslims are suspect........... :roll:

Weldal

I understand national interests, but this paranoia...

Postby Weldal » 2002-11-29, 10:55

Saaropean wrote:That was in the Cold War, where "America" feared communism. The cold war has long been over. Now we're in the "war against terrorism", where Muslims are suspect...........

I understand and respect that the fact that USA have their national interests and the right to defend them, but this real paranoia (anticommunist in the past and antimuslims in the present) is not good for democracy in a country that was known for their "over 200 years of freedom"... :roll:

Morris

Postby Morris » 2002-11-29, 18:22

Huh?

Charlie Chaplin left the country because of anti-communist hysteria whipped up and exploited by demagogues like Joseph McCarthy. The anti-Muslim "hysteria" in the U.S. is no worse than in any other country that's had a recent influx of large Moslem populations -- namely, many Western European nations. Anti-immigrant/Muslim/Semitic feeling is on the rise there as well, but neither here nor there does it dominate as McCarthyism did. I'm not saying that everything is up to my (admittedly overly idealistic) standards, but it's not as if we have anti-immigrant parties coming to power*.

[satire]Oh well, let's just blame this on bin Laden, Arafat, Bush, and Sharon and call it a day, eh?[/satire] ;)

* Say what you like about the Republicans, they aren't evil people. Misguided maybe, but not evil ;)
---BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK---
GSS/L/H d(+) s+:+>+: a18 C++ UL+++>++++ P>++ L+++(++) E- W++(-) N+ o?
K+ w !O M-- !V PS+@ PE Y+ PGP t 5 X- R-@ tv- b+++ DI+ D G e>++++ h- r y-
---END GEEK CODE BLOCK---

Return to “Culture”