The Anime Thread

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Meera
Re: The Anime Thread

Postby Meera » 2015-09-25, 18:05

księżycowy wrote:I'll have to keep a look out for that then, as I'm on episode 5 of Elfen Lied right now. The show has already had some really fucked up shit in it.

And, going back to your TAC comment, yeah, Naruto is a bit overrated. It's good, but not as good as some people make it out to be. :P And nothing major is being missed by not watching it, really.

Yeah it might not bother you though, I'm really sensitive to seeing animals hurt on screen even when its fake :oops:

Yes people rate it really good and I don't understand why it is consider really great. From clips I have seen of it, it looks like a typical shonen anime.
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2015-09-25, 18:25

For me it really depends on the animal in question and what the scenario is. I kinda cheated and watched the clip on YT. It was fucked up, but I'm still good to go. Not sure what that says about me...... :whistle:

And yeah, I lot Naruto in with that crowd too. As I already said, in my opinion, its nothing special. And the length kinda kills it for me. I mean, I'm wondering if they're milking it like they did Bleach? (And I actually LIKED Bleach! :lol: ) Same goes for One Piece.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2015-09-27, 15:27

So, I just finished Gakkou-Gurashi and Sabagebu, so I'll give a short review for them both (as I usually try to do). I've also only got one episode left for Kinmoza's second season, so might as well do that one too.

Gakkou-Gurashi - I very much liked the show over all. I have to admit, while the ending fit with the over all feel of the show (kinda cutesy in a fucked up situation), it did kinda make me feel a little let down. I also wish they had explored Yuki's psychosis more, but I still felt like there was enough. I would love to see a second season. I mean, they left the school, but they aren't out of the woods yet! I'm not holding my breath though...... :doggy: 8.7/10

Sabagebu - What a quirky show. It left me early on with the impression that this show/manga was by guys, for guys. I'm shocked, quite frankly, to learn the original author is female! :shock: But anyway, it still made me laugh on many occasions. It kinda struck me as a Japanese equivalent of Family Guy or American Dad. Kinda. I have to admit, that one episode with the whole bathroom thing kinda threw me. Cultural differences. :P I'd watch it again though, it was good. 7.5/10

Kinmoza - [I'm not anticipating any major thing in the last episode of season two that will ruin my impression of this show, so might as well write it up now. :P] This show has an interesting premise to me, a British girl moving to Japan after having what I would call a foreign exchange student live with her. It was typical of moe comedy, by and large. However, I still found it's cast of characters to be very good, and very funny. Haha. 9/10 *Hopes for a third season*

Viewing List:
Jigokou Shoujo Futakomori (on hold)
Gakkou-Gurashi
Shikabane Hime (on hold)
Kinmoza
Sabagebu!
Elfen Lied
Chaika

On a side note, is there not enough nudity in Elfen Lied yet? Jeez! :shock: :lol:

Meera

Postby Meera » 2015-09-29, 5:16

Gakkou-Gurashi sounds really interesting!

I started watching Fairy Tail. Its so cute, I love the little blue cat!!
अहिंसा/เจ

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2015-09-29, 12:44

Give it a shot. I liked it a bunch! :wink:

And my one friend (the who is the one big into Naruto) likes Fairy Tale a good bit too. :lol:

Pint

Postby Pint » 2015-09-30, 12:46

Me and some of my friend watch Shingeki no kyoujin (The one with Titan if you knew it in other name). Others are K-ON, Minami-ke (These two are my favorite even some might think it's a bit boring :para: being just about an ordinary life of people)

Meera

Postby Meera » 2015-10-27, 18:54

I just finished Death Note. OMG. This comes in a very close second to Madoka as being the best anime I have ever seen. The writing was nearly perfect.
अहिंसा/เจ

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2015-10-27, 19:21

Wow, DN. That takes me back. I found it to be very well written too. I especially liked how Light's character developed and changed. :twisted:

I just finished a few. I should post a mini-review or two myself. :P

Meera

Postby Meera » 2015-10-27, 23:17

księżycowy wrote:Wow, DN. That takes me back. I found it to be very well written too. I especially liked how Light's character developed and changed. :twisted:

I was blown away how good this anime was. I know I'm ten years too late but yeah. I feel like watching it again just to make sure I didn't miss anything! Both Light and L were amazing characters. I even liked Misa. I loved that Light was the villain even though he was the main character and that I loved how smart he was but I also hated him at the same time. His character was so well written. I loved how his over confidence and arrogance ultimately destroyed him. That ending was freaking epic. When he tells Near "I've won" and a few seconds pass and no one dies. And then when Ryuk wrote his name in the note, I was like wow "karma is a bitch Light." Oh and that episode in the beginning when Light kills the detective's fiancee, and that whole scene was so tense, thinking if she was going to live or not. I felt so bad for her. Seriously I was asking anime fans for recommendations of anime like Death Note and a lot them told me there aren't many as good as Death Note (I really hope that isn't true!). I actually wish there were more episodes :(
अहिंसा/เจ

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2015-10-27, 23:51

I'm glad you liked it! I feel like watching it again myself.

And I can't easily think of any other anime off the top of my head that were similar either. :hmm: If I come across any, I'll let you know.

As far as what I have recently watch:

Charlotte:
It was a really good show over all. I liked the comedy in the first half, and the switch to the more serious stuff halfway through was pretty good too. The ending was pretty good for the most part. I wish it was a bit longer, as I would have liked to see more of some stuff, but it wasn't a major issue for me over all. The story was really want got me, especially with Ayu and her power. I liked it a lot, anyway. Over all, 8.75/10.

Parasyte:
This one. Oh my goodness. This one.
Maybe I'm into body horror. I mean, I did like The Thing. :P
I liked the oddity of "Migi" and his shapes and how he essentially replaced Shinichi's arm kinda cool. But it wasn't really a super power, cause it was another entity, so that was a different twist on that sort of thing. I also like Shinichi's growth and development as a character. The ending with the parasites just not being around anymore kinda disappointed me, but I guess I was ok with it.They explained it well enough I suppose, even if blending in didn't always work out so well for everyone else. Speaking of which, I also liked the development in some of the parasite characters (Migi and Tamura in particular), which was a delightful surprise. 8.5/10

I feel like I'm forgetting one......
Oh well, this is good enough for now anyway. And if I happen to remember, I'll post it later.

Viewing List:
Yuru Yuri - San Hai
WataMote
Last edited by księżycowy on 2015-10-28, 11:56, edited 1 time in total.

sandrodream

Postby sandrodream » 2015-10-28, 9:24

Halloween time ?
the italian opening Ransie la strega (Ransie the witch) :silly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzfaLZDJ5fU

Meera

Postby Meera » 2015-10-29, 19:07

księżycowy wrote:I'm glad you liked it! I feel like watching it again myself.

And I can't easily think of any other anime off the top of my head that were similar either. :hmm: If I come across any, I'll let you know.

People are telling me to watch Full metal Alchemiest Brotherhood (Sp?) because they say although it isn't similar to Death Note that the writing/story is just as good? I honestly never watched it because on Netflix it kind of looked like Dragon Ball Z and Naruto lol :P Not that DBZ and Naruto are bad they just aren't my type of anime :P
अहिंसा/เจ

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2015-10-29, 19:14

Oh, yeah. I forgot all about Fullmetal. That one is pretty good. Not sure I'd say it's supper similar to Death Note, but they definitely have their similarities. I'd say give it a try.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2015-10-30, 7:13

You don't like anime about a bunch people going around and fighting enemies? :mrgreen:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-10-30, 7:37

Well, I don't. Such a tired old theme! Why can't we watch anime about more interesting things? Like cooking! :P

Wait, crap. The cooking manga I'm thinking of wasn't made into anime; it was made into a Japanese TV drama. Damn.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2015-10-30, 23:26

OldBoring wrote:You don't like anime about a bunch people going around and fighting enemies? :mrgreen:

I tried Dragon Ball Z and it just felt like so tedious.Its the same stuff over and over again. Even SAO was not as repetive. At least Sailor Moon has cute cats in it :P

oh and I'm binging on HellSing and Tokyo ghoul for halloween.
अहिंसा/เจ

Meera

Postby Meera » 2015-10-30, 23:28

vijayjohn wrote:Well, I don't. Such a tired old theme! Why can't we watch anime about more interesting things? Like cooking! :P

Wait, crap. The cooking manga I'm thinking of wasn't made into anime; it was made into a Japanese TV drama. Damn.

There is an anime about cooking called WORKING! lol
अहिंसा/เจ

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-10-31, 0:44

Meera wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Well, I don't. Such a tired old theme! Why can't we watch anime about more interesting things? Like cooking! :P

And apparently the first two seasons are called Wagnaria!! in the US. :lol:

Meera

Postby Meera » 2015-10-31, 1:43

vijayjohn wrote:
Meera wrote:

And apparently the first two seasons are called Wagnaria!! in the US. :lol:

yeah WORKING is the third season I think, I'm not sure if the first two are about cooking :lol:
अहिंसा/เจ

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-10-31, 4:18

So the one I was thinking of before was Aji Ichi Monme, but there is an anime version of the only other cooking manga I've ever read with a translation: Oishinbo. This is a video where they include a few clips of that anime (at the beginning. No subtitles or dubbing, sorry!):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OGJHSfluiw

Return to “Culture”