The Anime Thread

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator
Re: The Anime Thread

Postby OldBoring » 2015-10-31, 6:29

When as a kid I went to China during holidays, I used to watch 中华小当家 (Japanese: "中華一番!", rōmaji: Chūka Ichiban!), an anime about cooking dubbed in Chinese. Actually I thought it was Chinese, only now I've discovered it's actually a Japanese anime. :shock: Especially because the protagonist is a Chinese cuisine chef. :lol:
I forgot most of the episodes I've watched, but I think you can kinda learn something about cooking. For example I remember an episode where a giant hasn't had appetite for days, so they call this chef for help to cook something so appetizing that he starts to eat again. So he prepares a fried rice adding sour plums in it. That stimulates the giant's appetite and "aspirates" the whole pan of fried rice in one go. :lol: Still nowadays, when I don't have much appetite, I try to eat something sour. :lol:

I also used to play a computer game called 中华客栈, where your mission is to run a restaurant.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-10-31, 6:48

Oishinbo was made into a computer game, too! :lol:

KajalMehta

Postby KajalMehta » 2015-11-14, 9:54

Mine is Fairy Tail.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2015-11-19, 5:58

I really liked this video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3RvTkd-66k

I would not want to live in any of these worlds lol
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2015-11-19, 6:23

That was an awesome video. :lol:
And 99% of them I've seen and liked/loved or plan to see soon. :P

It also reminded me that I should finish Elfen Lied. I haven't made it to the part were the girl gets sliced on the train. I was wondering where that one pic/meme came from. Haha.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2015-11-19, 6:39

księżycowy wrote:That was an awesome video. :lol:
And 99% of them I've seen and liked/loved or plan to see soon. :P

It also reminded me that I should finish Elfen Lied. I haven't made it to the part were the girl gets sliced on the train. I was wondering where that one pic/meme came from. Haha.

Haha yes and I loved the nod to mirai nikki in the begining! Although I don't think i would mind living in SAO if I was Kirito because nothing bad seems to happen to him except may the end with Asuna. But I wouldn't want to be any of the other charecters though :P
अहिंसा/เจ

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2015-11-19, 17:48

I didn't even notice that in the beginning. :lol:

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2015-12-05, 16:11

I wasn't sure whether to post this in the Anime or Religion thread...

アニメ「ノラガミ」、イスラム教音声の不適切使用を謝罪

「この問題について、世界で最も多い2億人のイスラム教徒がいるインドネシアでは、ニュースを扱うウェブサイト「カタカバル」が4日付の記事で、同アニメは戦闘シーンのBGMとして、ディスコ風の音楽の中に取り込む形でアザーン(礼拝の呼びかけ)を使ったと指摘。「世界中のイスラム教徒が驚いており、曲の削除を求めている」としている。」 :roll:

So basically Noragami was criticized in Indonesia for using adhan in the background music for a battle scene, and now "Muslims all over the world are shocked and demanding the song be deleted".

I thought watching anime was a completely innocent, unpolitical part of my life. I guess not.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-12-13, 20:43

At a Christmas party my mom's boyfriend won Girl's High and now it's in my possession :P

It'll at least be good listening practice.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2015-12-22, 7:48

Lately I've been watching K and Rosario + Vampire. Both are on Netflix; they only have the first 13 eps (or season 1 I guess) of K, but have both seasons of R+V.

K is really good; I like it a lot. It's what I would call alternate reality or parallel universe with a limited magic system. (Meaning: it's set in Japan in what could be modern times, but some characters have magical powers.) I think the concept, especially the magic system, is really cool. It's got some hetero-male directed ecchi in it. It's partially set in high school. I'm just starting the second season. I don't really want to explain it more because that'll ruin it for you. But if you like fantasy stuff, or yakuza-type themes, check it out.

Rosario + Vampire is pretty trite but I enjoy watching it. It's a harem anime with one guy and several women. It's set in high school as well. The school is a school for monsters but the guy is a human who somehow winds up there. It's trite because as the human, the guy can never fight off the episodic baddie and so the few monster friends he makes always save him. It's got a lot of hetero-male directed ecchi in it. Actually the second season, which I'm on now, is worse than the first. The ecchi starts to border on softcore. (Well imo softcore since the ecchi parts include showing nipples which I've never seen in ecchi scenes before). But I like the character interplay and development (albeit it's slow at times). And there is enough change to not make it too repetitive. And I also like the supernatural element.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2015-12-22, 11:48

I've been slacking off lately. At first it was because the games I've been playing have Japanese audio, but now it's cause it's the holiday season yet again and I'm busy with various things.

Maybe in a week or some I can start watching some again.

K sounds interesting. I might pick it up in a bit, after I clear some of my backlog up. :P

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2015-12-23, 4:14

księżycowy wrote:Maybe in a week or some I can start watching some again.

How often do you watch anime? Do you give yourself a set amount of eps/time per week?

K sounds interesting. I might pick it up in a bit, after I clear some of my backlog up. :P

It is quite interesting. What's your backlog?
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2015-12-23, 16:19

Nah, I just watch stuff when the mood strikes me, and if a show is really good or whatever I can easily find myself watching a whole season in like a few days/a week. :P

I usually try to watch at least something every week, but lately not so much.

What's my backlog, you ask? I assume you want to know what shows. If that's the case, it's probably just easier to view my Myanimelist profile, as it's got a good few shows in the PTW section. :lol:

md0

Postby md0 » 2015-12-23, 17:52

Binged on Yowamushi Pedal. First anime I watched in almost 5 years I think, some films aside.
There's something about sports anime that makes you feel you can trust people, despite all the cheesiness, and the over-the-top action scenes and the attack-calling that plights "boys' anime".

Then I ran out of episodes. Then I saw this announcement at the end.
videoplayback.jpg

I don't remember the last two kanji, but I think it means either decided, or announced. And then I noticed BakaBT doesn't exist anymore.

Life is a roller-coaster lately :|
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

Meera

Postby Meera » 2015-12-27, 4:55

Yasna wrote:I wasn't sure whether to post this in the Anime or Religion thread...

アニメ「ノラガミ」、イスラム教音声の不適切使用を謝罪

「この問題について、世界で最も多い2億人のイスラム教徒がいるインドネシアでは、ニュースを扱うウェブサイト「カタカバル」が4日付の記事で、同アニメは戦闘シーンのBGMとして、ディスコ風の音楽の中に取り込む形でアザーン(礼拝の呼びかけ)を使ったと指摘。「世界中のイスラム教徒が驚いており、曲の削除を求めている」としている。」 :roll:

So basically Noragami was criticized in Indonesia for using adhan in the background music for a battle scene, and now "Muslims all over the world are shocked and demanding the song be deleted".

I thought watching anime was a completely innocent, unpolitical part of my life. I guess not.

That's so stupid! I didn't even notice Adhan in it.
अहिंसा/เจ

Osias

Postby Osias » 2016-01-07, 13:51

I'm still finishing Sidonia.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

uzferry

Postby uzferry » 2016-04-02, 13:33

I used to watch anime back in the day. I never was a big fan of it though, mainly watched mainstream ones like OP, Naruto etc.
My favorite ones are Death Note and Elfen Lied. The last one I watched, One Punch Man, would be amongst the most memorable ones too. :D

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2016-04-07, 15:50

I started checking out くまみこ (Kumamiko). Seems a promising show thus far. We shall see as time goes on, I suppose. Other than that, I haven't really seen much else recently. Though I finally broke down and bought a copy of 未来日記 (Mirai Nikki/Future Diary), so I'll probably watch that sometime soon. I also should really finish エルフェンリート (Elfen Lied) too. It got pushed back by various things, especially classes this semester.

Anyone else watching anything interesting? Or reading any interesting manga?

I'm getting tempted to get into some manga again myself. I was almost thinking of getting this one manga off Amazon.jp for some "easy" reading material. :P (Still might too.)

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-04-08, 0:54

księżycowy wrote:I started checking out くまみこ (Kumamiko). Seems a promising show thus far. We shall see as time goes on, I suppose. Other than that, I haven't really seen much else recently. Though I finally broke down and bought a copy of 未来日記 (Mirai Nikki/Future Diary), so I'll probably watch that sometime soon. I also should really finish エルフェンリート (Elfen Lied) too. It got pushed back by various things, especially classes this semester.

Anyone else watching anything interesting? Or reading any interesting manga?

I'm getting tempted to get into some manga again myself. I was almost thinking of getting this one manga off Amazon.jp for some "easy" reading material. :P (Still might too.)

I've been watching Yukki Yuno is a Hero and Black Butler.

I may be going to an Anime Con in New Jersey too soon :P I might even do some cosplay lol
अहिंसा/เจ

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2016-04-08, 0:58

I've seen Yuki Yuno, it's pretty good, IMO.

And that's cool! Maybe some day I'll make it to a convention myself.

Return to “Culture”