The Anime Thread

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

księżycowy
Re: The Anime Thread

Postby księżycowy » 2016-10-11, 18:20

I've played the first game (though never completed it, yet), but never watch the anime yet. It's on the "get to later" list. :lol:

Osias

Postby Osias » 2016-10-11, 22:51

I'm still watching Sidonia No Kishi, I watch it slowly because I don't want it to end.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-10-12, 0:21

księżycowy wrote:I've played the first game (though never completed it, yet), but never watch the anime yet. It's on the "get to later" list. :lol:

It is quite weird but good to watch for Halloween.
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

sandrodream

Postby sandrodream » 2016-10-12, 7:51

md0

Postby md0 » 2016-10-18, 21:17

Is it just me or anime this year got very heavy-handed with their "message"?

What mainly made me think about this is DAYS. Fifteen episodes of trying to convince us that the protagonist inspires everyone who plays football with/against him because of his passion to belong in a team despite him not showing any interest in trying to learn how to play the game. Never mind that for the whole season all he does is to feel guilty about being a dead weight to the team, and solely focusing on training to be able to run and doesn't give a shit for even learning what direction the opposing team's goal is at, his teammates openly say they are certain this guy is going to be the next captain of the team because of reasons.
I know sports anime were always feel-good, root-for-the-underdog, zero-to-hero stories, but some of them care to flesh out the characters (Haikyuu is heavy on characterisation), and others actually deliver on the action side of things (Kuroko's Basket for one). Here, it's basically little Tsuku-chan wants to have friends, so he enters highschool football taking the position of constantly-catching-his-breath-centre-forward and everyone is motivated by his sense of guilt when the team loses any match he plays in. How about you appreciate his effort and dedication by teaching him how to shoot? All the practice he ever does is to go jogging.

But it's not just sports anime. This Udon no Kuni no Kiniro Kemari from episode 1 sets itself up as a manic pixie dream tanuki child story. I don't know if it's going to surprise us and subvert what is clearly is spelt out in the first episode (recently orhpaned 30-year old man decides to stop running away from his past and returns to hometown to take over the family business and win the trust of the townspeople he used to underestimate), but somehow I don't think it will.

Inno, it annoys me when the plot tries so hard and achieves nothing. Not all anime have to take the viewer through an emotional psychological journey if they don't have the story to do that. There's a few light-hearted anime that almost take pride in being shallow and I'd rate them higher that those two.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

Meera

Postby Meera » 2017-01-07, 20:01

I'm completely obsessed with Yuri On Ice right now. It is the best anime I have seen in a long long time!!

Yuri and Viktor are my favorite anime couple ever! I loved the closing and the opening I hated at first, but it grew on me. That Yuri and Viktor kiss ommmg :bounce: :<3: :<3: :<3: :<3: :<3: I can't get enough of this show. I can't believe it's only 12 episodes.
अहिंसा/เจ

md0

Postby md0 » 2017-01-07, 21:08

Something that I will certainly recognise to YoI is that
► Show Spoiler

Now, for the past few days I was in my hometown for the winter break, and having nothing much to do, I started a new anime. I watched the first season of Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai (2012), which is about this phenomenon - basically teenagers' response to anxiety manifesting as delusions of magical powers, and which has been turned into an anime trope in itself (like agoraphobia). And because I find it hard to pick what goes under spoilers and what not, I'm putting the whole thing:
► Show Spoiler
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-01-07, 23:05

It's been a good year, maybe even more, since I've seen Chunibyou (I'll call it that for the sake of shortening it), and I have to say that I liked it. Cheesiness and all. However, I think I have to agree on your ending complaint. Idk, it was nice and all, but I could see a sad ending very easily fitting into the show. Then again, it seemed more like they were always gunning for the comedy more than anything else. At least thats how I always saw it.

md0

Postby md0 » 2017-01-08, 8:41

I think it falls in the same category as the last two anime I reviewed in this thread: they are animes who attempt to deliver more than they can handle. It could stay a good comedy if they didn't invest so heavily in the characters background.

Lately I compare everything to Saiki Kusuo no Sainan (best anime in a while), but other examples exist. Those are comedies who know very well they are comedies. They are pretty upfront about the lack of plot progression and the near-flat characters. Sainan didn't left me feeling betrayed for investing emotionally in the character growth of the protagonist. There no plot progression in Sainan.

But what has to be said is that if I didn't like Chūnibyō, I wouldn't be so upset about the ending, I would just move on.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-01-08, 11:12

md0 wrote:I think it falls in the same category as the last two anime I reviewed in this thread: they are animes who attempt to deliver more than they can handle.

I think can see that. Ultimately I'd need to re-watch it though before I could be sure. But from what I remember, I am inclined to agree. However, I don't think it was because of the character investment. Idk... :hmm:

Lately I compare everything to Saiki Kusuo no Sainan (best anime in a while), but other examples exist. Those are comedies who know very well they are comedies. They are pretty upfront about the lack of plot progression and the near-flat characters. Sainan didn't left me feeling betrayed for investing emotionally in the character growth of the protagonist. There no plot progression in Sainan.

Can't say I've seen Saiki Kusuo no Sainan. From a quick wikipedia trip though, it seems like it would be up my alley.

md0

Postby md0 » 2017-01-19, 12:31

The quality of anime subtitles gets worse by the year
Screenshot_2017-01-19_14-28-44.png

Now "old man" is also an untranslatable culture-specific word :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-01-19, 12:44

There are even some suffixes like "-chan" that are kind of untranslatable on English but would pass very well as "-inho" in Portuguese but they don't even try.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-02-02, 13:57

It's been a little while since I've posted here and updated my viewing list. (Not to mention doing the same on MyAnimeList :P )

I can't even remember what I just recently finished... :lol:

Currently I'm watching:
Gabriel Dropout
Bungo Stray Dogs
Ms Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
Konosuba

So far they are all good.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2017-02-20, 16:03

I started watching Black Butler again.
अहिंसा/เจ

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-02-21, 2:46

I started watching Familiar of Zero which I think is Zero no Tsukaima in Japanese.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-02-21, 12:52

I just finish Bungo Stray Dogs a few days ago. That was a pretty good show. I did feel (which is often the case, it seems) that the final fight was a bit rushed (or maybe just not daunting enough, idk :lol: ), but it was still quite good. I'm hoping they do another 25 episodes.

I can't wait for Attack on Titan to start it's new season. I might have to refresh my memory a bit on last season too.

md0

Postby md0 » 2017-02-27, 11:12

Regarding the anime TRICKSTER:
how is this still a thing?

md0

Postby md0 » 2017-05-31, 10:01

For your fix of ganbatte this season, KABUKIBU is nice.
This time it's about a group of highschool students trying to bring kabuki theatre to a contemporary audience.

sandrodream

Postby sandrodream » 2017-06-30, 11:43

Goldrake ufo Robot from italy Amazing memories 1978

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLT3vUW5HHs

Meera

Postby Meera » 2017-07-25, 15:12

AOT season 2 was epic. I loved it.

I am currently watching season 2 of Boko No Hero Academia and Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid. Also watched episode one of Gamers.
अहिंसा/เจ

Return to “Culture”