Would you eat?

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Viridzen
Re: Would you eat?

Postby Viridzen » 2014-07-02, 22:32

linguoboy wrote:Dutchies! Is this actually a thing where you come from?

It appears to be Belgian, though the brand that makes the one you posted is American. They don't test on animals! (And I would definitely eat that.)

Speaking of butters, we have apple butter in Deitscherei, and it's delicious. I try to eat it with everything.
Please, correct my errors. S'il vous plaît, corrigez mes erreurs.
C2: [flag=]en[/flag] B1: Focusing on: [flag=]fr[/flag] (A2), [flag=]got[/flag]

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-01-05, 18:27

Today I learned about 茭白 jiāobái or 高笋 gāosǔn, which is the name given to stems of Manchurian wild rice (Zizania latifolia) infected with a species-specific smut (Ustilago esculenta) and served as a vegetable. Apparently it's not allowed to be imported into the USA for fears of spreading the infection. (Manchurian wild rice isn't cultivated in North America, but other Zizania species are very valuable commercially.) I'm a fan of corn smut (a.k.a. huitlacoche), so if I were offered jiāobái I'd try it. Would you?

"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2015-01-06, 14:55

I'd eat it, if I were convinced it's no more risky than eating yoghurt, and if I could get over the inherent funniness of the word "smut".
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Language Underworld

Postby Language Underworld » 2015-01-17, 19:44

Would you eat dog soup in the presence of your dog? ;)

I saw that in a Korean restaurant in China once... It was quite weird. :shock: :shock: :shock:

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2015-01-18, 1:12

Language Underworld wrote:Would you eat dog soup in the presence of your dog? ;)

I saw that in a Korean restaurant in China once... It was quite weird. :shock: :shock: :shock:

:para: Gross.
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति
learning in 2019: (no-nn)

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-01-18, 1:41

Language Underworld wrote:Would you eat dog soup in the presence of your dog? ;)

I don't like soup so probably not. :mrgreen:

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2015-01-18, 23:19

I've tried whale once in Norway. Didn't have any qualms about eating it. Tasted like cheap dry tuna, though.

I'd never eat dog or cat meat. Sorry, but that's just to much for me. Then again, I find eating snails perfectly normal while many people find it gross.

loqu

Postby loqu » 2015-01-19, 1:09

Prowler wrote:I'd never eat dog or cat meat. Sorry, but that's just to much for me. Then again, I find eating snails perfectly normal while many people find it gross.

Reminds me of the time I was talking to a Japanese girl who told me she loved horse meat while I found it shocking. Then I told her rabbit meat was tasty and she looked at me as if I were a psychopath. :lol:
Нека људи уживају у стварима.
Let people enjoy things.

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2015-01-19, 1:54

loqu wrote:
Prowler wrote:I'd never eat dog or cat meat. Sorry, but that's just to much for me. Then again, I find eating snails perfectly normal while many people find it gross.

Reminds me of the time I was talking to a Japanese girl who told me she loved horse meat while I found it shocking. Then I told her rabbit meat was tasty and she looked at me as if I were a psychopath. :lol:

Horse meat isn't that strange. Although I've never had it.

Rabbit... haven't had that in over a decade. Never been a fan of it, anyway.

Maybe she finds bunnies "kawaii".

loqu

Postby loqu » 2015-01-19, 9:41

She did. The word didn't came up (I didn't know it existed, by then, anyway), but she said it is wrong to eat something so lovely. :lol:

I have tried horse meat now and it's pretty good, but back in 2003 I found it quite shocking. In my area horses are considered noble, we don't have any habit of eating them.
Нека људи уживају у стварима.
Let people enjoy things.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-01-20, 0:10

I can see myself eating almost everything mentioned in this page of this thread, plus most of the things on the previous page. (Of course, I say that without having actually tried any of those things...:P).

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-04-16, 20:18

"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-04-16, 20:38

Nestlé is part of European culinary horror?

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-04-16, 20:42

What, are you kidding me? Squid ink a culinary horror!? You can make wonderful risottos or paellas with it! Also, I don't see anything particularly horrific in a horse steak, even though, in reality, it's anything but common.

And lol at the Swiss one.

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2015-04-16, 20:49

Horse isn't super common here, because it's kind of expensive, but it's the best meat there is (together with duck and lamb). I love it. Blood pudding isn't horrifying, it's kind of meh. Head cheese, though, no thank you. I don't like gelatine.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-04-16, 21:03

IpseDixit wrote:What, are you kidding me? Squid ink a culinary horror!? You can make wonderful risottos or paellas with it!

A lot of things taste great but look horrible. Rice seasoned with squid ink looks pretty nasty if you aren't used to it.

IpseDixit wrote:Also, I don't see anything particularly horrific in a horse steak, even though, in reality, it's anything but common.

Yeah, I've never made sense of the visceral horror so many Anglo-Americans have at the thought of eating horseflesh. But maybe it's because I know, however beautiful they may look in a steeplechase, horses are at least as dumb as cattle and often way stupider.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-04-16, 21:07

linguoboy wrote:A lot of things taste great but look horrible.

It only looks black... and black is très chic.

linguoboy wrote:Yeah, I've never made sense of the visceral horror so many Anglo-Americans have at the thought of eating horseflesh. But maybe it's because I know, however beautiful they may look in a steeplechase, horses are at least as dumb as cattle and often way stupider.

Btw, I'm surprised that rabbit flesh is not mentioned.

Anyway, honestly I don't know how precise that map is. For example, on what basis did they decide that horse steak is the Italian culinary horror when Italian cuisine actually also has head cheese, squid ink, fried blood, boiled animal heads, pig fat, frog legs, tripe, cow lungs, veal heart, lard and blood sausages?... And AFAIK they're local recipes, not borrowed from other countries.

And conversely from Aurinĭa's posts it seems that horse steak is also a Belgian thing (and probably of many other countries too).

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-04-16, 21:26

IpseDixit wrote:
linguoboy wrote:A lot of things taste great but look horrible.

It only looks black... and black is très chic.

True black is tough to achieve. Some squid ink dishes just look dirty gray to me. E.G.:

To most Americans, that looks like something which was left in the back of the fridge for far too long.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-04-16, 21:32

I see. The squid ink risottos I remember are more black though.

Last edited by IpseDixit on 2015-04-16, 21:32, edited 1 time in total.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-04-16, 21:32

That looks like the interior of some sausages that we eat. :mrgreen:

Return to “Culture”