Which movie(s) have you watched lately?

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Osias
Re: Which movie(s) have you watched lately?

Postby Osias » 2016-11-26, 14:18

Fantastic Beasts. Loved. The worst thing about Harry Potter movies was Harry Potter, this one fix this issue.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2016-11-27, 7:38

The worst part about them was that they left out huge great swathes of the books which annoyed fans and left casual audiences confused as hell. But this movie also doesn't have that problem, as I understand.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Osias

Postby Osias » 2016-11-27, 13:27

Yes, it's very good to watch something without everybody talking all the time 'but this scene doesn't exist in the books!!!'.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2016-12-07, 21:45

I finally watched Arrival yesterday.

I have to say it's quite refreshing to see a movie where the hero is a linguist... :P
Sure, not all of it is accurate and many parts aren't even remotely realistic, but still, I quite liked it.
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

Osias

Postby Osias » 2016-12-08, 0:10

I saw the movie about Ramanujam on Netflix. I wish it had more math, but that's me. Recommend it.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-12-08, 1:03

Osias wrote:I saw the movie about Ramanujamn on Netflix. I wish it had more math, but that's me. Recommend it.

That's always the thing with movies about mathematicians, isn't it? :P

One of my co-workers saw that movie, too, so a few days ago, he asked me how familiar I was with Hinduism. I didn't really know how to answer that question, but I got him to tell me what he was wondering about anyway: whether it was for some sort of religious reason that his parents(?) objecting to him leaving India. So I told him a little bit about काला पानी, including that this apparently was part of the motivation for the Indian Mutiny (or whatever else you want to call it). AFAIK soldiers made barely any money under the British whereas some Indian kings would reward soldiers with land grants, and the only way (or one of the few ways) they could make more money was by serving overseas and thereby "losing caste."

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2016-12-08, 4:39

Luís wrote:I finally watched Arrival yesterday.

I have to say it's quite refreshing to see a movie where the hero is a linguist... :P
Sure, not all of it is accurate and many parts aren't even remotely realistic, but still, I quite liked it.
It was the same for me. The overall story was so interesting that I was fine with accepting the movie's more outlandish bits.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2016-12-08, 9:55

vijayjohn wrote:One of my co-workers saw that movie, too, so a few days ago, he asked me how familiar I was with Hinduism. I didn't really know how to answer that question, but I got him to tell me what he was wondering about anyway: whether it was for some sort of religious reason that his parents(?) objecting to him leaving India.

He didn't pay attention, the very movie answer that. Granted, it doesn't say the name of the rule/taboo, but it also says Calcuta and Mumbay were cities where it was losing force, while in Madras¹ people would still "stop talking to us" and "we'll never marry our children".

¹ It was still called 'Madras'.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-12-08, 13:12

Osias wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:One of my co-workers saw that movie, too, so a few days ago, he asked me how familiar I was with Hinduism. I didn't really know how to answer that question, but I got him to tell me what he was wondering about anyway: whether it was for some sort of religious reason that his parents(?) objecting to him leaving India.

He didn't pay attention,; the very movie answered that.

I'd say "the movie itself answered that," or more likely, "they answered that right (there) in the movie." But oops, I made a grammar mistake, too, and wrote "objecting" instead of "objected." :D

Well, I didn't watch the movie, so I may not be remembering his exact question. :P Maybe he wanted to know a bit more about it, or maybe you're right and he didn't pay enough attention, idk. Or he could've forgotten after seeing the movie, I guess.
Granted, it doesn't say the name of the rule/taboo, but it also says Calcutta and Mumbay :?: were cities where it was losing force, while in Madras¹ people would still "stop talking to us" and "we'll will? never marry our children".

¹ It was still called 'Madras'.

All three of those placenames have changed since independence. They used to be Calcutta, Bombay, and Madras. Now, they're Kolkata, Mumbai, and Chennai, respectively.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2016-12-08, 14:43

I watched with Portuguese subtitles and I'm not sure what name was used, not all name changes affected us.

vijayjohn wrote:the very movie answered that.

I meant to say "the movie answers that". Is it acceptable?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-12-09, 0:27

Osias wrote:I meant to say "the movie answers that". Is it acceptable?

Yes. Sorry for not being clearer about that earlier.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2016-12-09, 9:30

vijayjohn wrote:That's always the thing with movies about mathematicians, isn't it? :P
Sort of, but then remember that math is generally boring, esoteric and hard to portray onscreen. For example, A Beautiful Mind very briefly explained game theory, but without any actual math shown, and spent the rest of the movie (somewhat inaccurately but at least sympathetically) portraying mental illness. A movie like Jurassic Park would also bore audiences if it spent too long discussing genetics so instead it focused on bioethics as its theme. Highly technical subjects don't make for good storytelling. There are of course exceptions to this rule.

(Having said that, I wish Contact had a little more about space travel in it.)
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-12-09, 16:51

mōdgethanc wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:That's always the thing with movies about mathematicians, isn't it? :P
Sort of, but then remember that math is generally boring, esoteric and hard to portray onscreen. For example, A Beautiful Mind very briefly explained game theory, but without any actual math shown, and spent the rest of the movie (somewhat inaccurately but at least sympathetically) portraying mental illness. A movie like Jurassic Park would also bore audiences if it spent too long discussing genetics so instead it focused on bioethics as its theme. Highly technical subjects don't make for good storytelling. There are of course exceptions to this rule.

Yeah. But I still sort of wish A Beautiful Mind had a little more math in it. :doggy: (My grandfather (yes the same grandfather whose diary I'm in the middle of translating) was big on popularizing math. He didn't have much success).
(Having said that, I wish Contact had a little more about space travel in it.)

That book was required reading in an astronomy class I took once IIRC.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2016-12-20, 17:07

mōdgethanc wrote:The worst part about them was that they left out huge great swathes of the books which annoyed fans and left casual audiences confused as hell. But this movie also doesn't have that problem, as I understand.

I'm with Osias, but then as you know I've got very limited sympathy for the Chosen One trope in fantasy at this point.

I actually went to see a movie in the theatre(!) last week because they re-released Tampopo. It wasn't quite as brilliant or as polished as I'd remembered it being, but it was a wonderful experience all the same.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2016-12-22, 2:00

linguoboy wrote:I'm with Osias, but then as you know I've got very limited sympathy for the Chosen One trope in fantasy at this point.
I'm with you on that too. I think I just kind of groaned when I first saw Rowling use that term in print.
I actually went to see a movie in the theatre(!) last week because they re-released Tampopo. It wasn't quite as brilliant or as polished as I'd remembered it being, but it was a wonderful experience all the same.
Lucky!
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-12-22, 2:15

I've heard of Tampopo several times by now but have never actually seen it. I wonder whether there's a version available for free on YouTube or something (although maybe I'm just saying that because I'm too used to this with Indian movies by now :P).

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2016-12-22, 3:48

vijayjohn wrote:I've heard of Tampopo several times by now but have never actually seen it. I wonder whether there's a version available for free on YouTube or something (although maybe I'm just saying that because I'm too used to this with Indian movies by now :P).
Do you still have access to your university library? They often have a good store of classic and arthouse films.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-12-22, 5:22

mōdgethanc wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:I've heard of Tampopo several times by now but have never actually seen it. I wonder whether there's a version available for free on YouTube or something (although maybe I'm just saying that because I'm too used to this with Indian movies by now :P).
Do you still have access to your university library? They often have a good store of classic and arthouse films.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I do. Ironically, I've never actually checked anything out of the library before because I could just read them right there instead! :lol:

Sarabi

Postby Sarabi » 2016-12-28, 7:25

sandrodream wrote:Yesterday I watched Titanic movie with Kate Winslet. This scene made me cry a lot is the final scene of the film and is a masterpiece :doggy: :doggy: :doggy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFehvmVSmlY

One of my favorite movies! I just love their chemistry. Crazy to me they were only 21 when this was filmed, and I was like 8 when it came out. I should watch it in French, but I just love them so much, I dunno if I can stomach watching it without being able to hear their sexy voices, haha. I would definitely have a polyamorous triad with them. :D :P </3
Philyra Games (språkspill)

B1+ (no)(fr)(es) A1-A2 (ro)(zh)(it)(sw)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-12-28, 13:18

Sarabi wrote:Crazy to me they were only 21 when this was filmed

Did you also know that Brenda Lee, who sang "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree," was only 14 years old when she sang it? One of Bollywood's biggest actresses made her debut when she was 15. One of my favorite Indian actresses made her debut when she was two and won a national film award the very next year. :lol:

Return to “Culture”