Series on TV or the Internet

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Varislintu
Re: Series on TV or the Internet

Postby Varislintu » 2017-05-03, 5:01

Luís wrote:The second season was even worse... :roll:

Were they still stuck in the base? :lol:

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-05-03, 18:15

Varislintu wrote:
Luís wrote:The second season was even worse... :roll:

Were they still stuck in the base? :lol:

No, they were stuck in an isolated island ruled by members of a religious cult.
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2017-05-03, 22:05

Varislintu wrote:It's annoying, I've developed this thing where upon seeing the Netflix logo on the TV-screen, I read it as Neteflix, think of Weetabix, and furthermore hear it said in my head as if it's a Norwegian word.
And when I see Weetabix, I think of weevils and get too grossed out to eat. It doesn't help that it tastes like a soggy mush of wet sawdust.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2017-05-04, 7:21

Luís wrote:No, they were stuck in an isolated island ruled by members of a religious cult.

Of course! :lol:

mōdgethanc wrote:
Varislintu wrote:It's annoying, I've developed this thing where upon seeing the Netflix logo on the TV-screen, I read it as Neteflix, think of Weetabix, and furthermore hear it said in my head as if it's a Norwegian word.
And when I see Weetabix, I think of weevils and get too grossed out to eat. It doesn't help that it tastes like a soggy mush of wet sawdust.

Yeah I'm not a weetabix fan either. Oatmeal is the way. Norwegian is cute, though. :yep:

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2017-05-07, 22:52

I love Neil Gaiman's work, but please, please tell me that American Gods becomes less of a sausage fest as things move along...

I guess it's the same problem with everyone going for Norse mythology, they discount that Freya was the main deity (going by toponymy) and want to add a patriarchal structure to everything with the father on top, even though it didn't work that way at all.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-05-08, 3:34

Watching the new Sense8 episodes. Very Tumblr.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2017-05-08, 10:08

Johanna wrote:I love Neil Gaiman's work, but please, please tell me that American Gods becomes less of a sausage fest as things move along...

I guess it's the same problem with everyone going for Norse mythology, they discount that Freya was the main deity (going by toponymy) and want to add a patriarchal structure to everything with the father on top, even though it didn't work that way at all.

Is the series based on the book's plot? If I remember correctly, wasn't it a sausage fest also?

That's actually an interesting thing I've noticed: nowadays when they make something based on something older than year 2000, it often is noticably sausage festy. I mean like jarringly male. It's pretty awesome that female characters have become at least so common (even if not equal) that it's noticeable that something isn't a modern production. I noticed this starkly when watching Expanse on Netflix. Good series, I liked, but extremely male and white, even in future space. It's based on some book or book series I'm not familiar with.

Then it's also fun to watch something like Scott & Bailey (or the new Ghostbusters), and getting a glimpse, if you mentally squint and have a vivid imagination, how it feels to be male in this world and almost everything is told through people like you. Like it's no biggie. Everything is you everywhere you look. It's so weird! Like looking into a garden through a little window.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-05-08, 15:26

:hmm:

That's strange, Neil Gaiman was supposed to be an exception. His Sandman is from the 90's and features several women as co-protagonists.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

md0

Postby md0 » 2017-08-27, 5:31

https://humaniterations.net/2014/10/13/ ... red-lotus/

^ Trans-humanist review of the most disappointing season of Legend of Korra makes me want to seriously familiarise myself with transhumanist theory.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-08-27, 12:44

You made me want to read it, but I know nothing Jon Snow about Korra.

md0

Postby md0 » 2017-08-27, 14:01

Korra is still worth watching, give it a shot if you have time.
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-08-27, 16:20

Shouldn't I see the original Avatar first?

md0

Postby md0 » 2017-08-27, 17:10

I don't remember the early episodes that clearly, but I think the have some exposition to make it easy for new-comers to enter the show. But it's definitely better if you watch Avatar: Legend of Aang first.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-08-27, 17:22

I saw Rick & Morty's pilot last night and found it very bad.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-08-27, 18:33

I finally finished watching the second season of "Mr Robot" and I have to say it was even better than the first one. Highly recommend it.

md0

Postby md0 » 2017-08-27, 18:46

Does it still have that fatalistic and edgy tone?
That what put me off the first season, despite being really impressed by its technological accuracy (sure, presented in an over-the-top way, but realistic).

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-08-27, 19:06

A bit, yeah. But you also get to know more about the characters back stories and why they behave the way they do. I'd say give it a try.

md0

Postby md0 » 2017-08-29, 17:34

I'll keep it on the list then.

Recently I read a review of Better Things and I'm thinking of giving that a try to.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2017-08-31, 23:33

13 Reasons Why. I was expecting to find this show mediocre but I made myself watch it anyway with the rationale that it's about mental health and I should evaluate why it's so controversial. Turns out it's more about the effects of bullying and sexual violence as well as bereavement than anything. I enjoyed it throughout even though some scenes were a tough watch. The concern over suicide contagion from watching the show is legitimate since it does have a fairly gruesome and realistic death scene in the final episode. I would recommend caution in watching this show to anyone with a history of mental illness or any kind of trauma. It's not lighthearted fare, that's for sure.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-09-14, 0:56

I haven't watched much of it, but La Reina del Sur (translated into English as "Queen of the South") is actually pretty good for improving listening comprehension in Spanish even for advanced speakers, especially if you're interested specifically in Mexican Spanish (or possibly Castillian, but I haven't watched enough episodes to tell yet :lol:). Telemundo has made summaries of its episodes available on YouTube with subtitles (CC) in both English and Spanish (though often with pretty bad formatting, unfortunately). I never thought I'd be interested in a telenovela about drug trafficking, but there it is.

I also make it a point to mention a certain Pakistani TV series called Larka Karachi Ka Kuri Lahore Di to anyone interested in Urdu.

Return to “Culture”