Your favourite names (in any language)

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

TeneReef
Re: Your favourite names (in any language)

Postby TeneReef » 2013-01-09, 3:38

Norwegian names are sexy :whistle:
I like these:
m: Audun, Håkon, Knut
f: Tone, Silje

Brazilian names:
m: Kauan/Kauã/Cauã, Kauê/Cauê, Moacir/Moacyr, Geraldino, Gerivaldo, Deodato
f: Iara/Yara, Jacira/Jacyra, Jussara/Juçara, Anaína, Iracema, Marly, Taís/Thais

Indian names:
m: Varun, Rana, Tarun, Rahul, Varghese
f: Sonia, Rani, Priya, Mira

Croatian names I like:
m: Ivan, Luka, Ivo, Mirko
f: Mirna, Mira, Inka, Iva, Ida, Kata/Kate, Tena
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति
learning in 2019: (no-nn)

Kenny

Postby Kenny » 2013-01-09, 15:20

There was a Catalan girl at Disneyland and I really liked her name: Mireia.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2013-01-09, 15:38

Kenny wrote:There was a Catalan girl at Disneyland and I really liked her name: Mireia.

I work with a Mireia once. The name was actually invented by the Provençal poet Frédéric Mistral for his work Mirèio and later given to his own daughter.

The conventional Catalan spelling actually annoys me a bit. The "classical" Occitan spelling of Mirèio is Mirèlha (cf. Standard French Mireille); the corresponding Catalan form should be Mirella (pronounced as "Mireia" only in those few Catalan dialects which are ieista) and I prefer the sound of it. But I think only the Italians use Mirella (pronounced with [lː] rather than [ʎ]).
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2013-01-11, 8:20

I saw a Finland-Swedish baby girl in the media whose name was Juni (as in the month June). I've never heard that as a name before, but it's so cool that I wonder why!

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2013-01-12, 2:19

Haha Juni is one of the most famous characters in a Norwegian soap opera :P Her personality has probably scared most people from giving their kids this name, though!
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)
Exposed to (fo) Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs)

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2013-01-13, 21:16

Each year a list is published with how many times a name was chosen that year. This year Daan and Emma were most popular and second were Bram and Sophie.

I love those lists, it's so funny to see what weird names have been given, like Mama or Wijntje (little wine)... Bit sad for the children though. In general short and easy names like Saar or Levi are popular though.
But I would never give my child a name that has been given like fifty times the year before.

http://svb.nl/int/nl/kinderbijslag/kind ... /index.jsp
Native: Dutch
Learns: Latin and French
Knows also (a bit): English, German, Turkish, Danish

Corrections appreciated.

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2013-01-14, 8:12

Emma has been the most popular name here for so many years. And biblical names as well. It's therefore fun to see how many names in the NL correspond to the Norwegian once, especially seeing as we generally don't communicate that much. Is it a common American popular culture source? As for Emma, it was a common name among my friends, and I would never name any of my kids any of their names. They already seem so old :P The Faroese sure like their biblical names when the rest of us have started abandoning them! Also interesting to see that almost all of the Icelandic male names are names that were very popular here 10-20 years ago.

[flag]sv[/flag][flag]sv[/flag][flag]no[/flag][flag]no[/flag][flag]da[/flag][flag]da[/flag][flag]fo[/flag][flag]fo[/flag][flag]is[/flag][flag]is[/flag]
AliceWilliamEmmaEmilEmmaWilliamEvaLukasEmilíaAron
MajaLucasNoraLukasIdaOliverAnnaJónasLiljaAlexander
ElsaOscarSaraMathiasClaraNoahLívSilasSaraGuðmundur
JuliaHugoSofieWilliamLauraEmilRebekkaAndriasElísabetSigurður
LinnéaEliasLinneaMagnusIsabellaVictorBáraAronEmmaViktor
EllaOliverTheaFillipSofia/eMagnusBráBoasKatrínDaníel
EbbaLiamMaiaOliverAnnaFrederikJuliaMattiasKristínJón
MollyAlexanderEmilieMarkusMathildeMikkelLiljaAdrianAnnaStefán
WilmaViktorIngridNoaFrejaLucasSáraÁriEvaRóbert
EmmaEmilJulieTobiasCarolineAlexanderBjartaBenjaminMaríaKristófer
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2013-01-14, 9:53

I think the similarities between Norway and the Netherlands are really remarkable. Both lists start with Emma and both lists have Sophie/Sofie and Sara/Sarah/Saar very high.
Really funny to see Wilma so high in Sweden, no one would call their child Wilma in the Netherlands these days :lol:

Corrections appreciated.

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2013-01-14, 13:15

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:Really funny to see Wilma so high in Sweden, no one would call their child Wilma in the Netherlands these days :lol:
I was thinking the exact same for Norway! And Ingrid sounds strangely old as well, if you ask me. Ebba also sounds extremely weird as it means to die down in Norwegian :lol:

I don't know what the names Bára and Brá are supposed to be in Faroese... in Norwegian they would mean gurney and sudden/steep respectively. Not nice names.

I'll update the Norwegian list once last year's statistics are published. Usually by the end of January.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2013-01-14, 13:26

My Finnish speaking relatives named their girl very peculiarly just yesterday. But I don't know if I should publicize it here. :P

Speaking of months, I wonder why the autumn months are so unpopular as names. October, September, November and December and their local versions.

MillMaths

Postby MillMaths » 2013-01-14, 13:42

Aleco wrote:
Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:Really funny to see Wilma so high in Sweden, no one would call their child Wilma in the Netherlands these days :lol:
I was thinking the exact same for Norway! And Ingrid sounds strangely old as well, if you ask me.
And over here, Vera is an old-fashioned name. (It looks like it's derived from the Latin for "truth" but in fact it comes from the Russian Вера –"faith".) It was very popular as a girl's name in England from the 1900s to the 1920s, but sharply declined in popularity thereafter. Hardly anyone here calls their child Vera now. The youngest Briton with that name that I know of is a friend of mine, who was born in 1947 – and in any case Vera is only her middle name, given to her because that was her mother's name.

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2013-01-14, 13:47

My mom is like the only person I know with that name, just spelt with a W.

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2013-01-14, 14:11

Varislintu wrote:My Finnish speaking relatives named their girl very peculiarly just yesterday. But I don't know if I should publicize it here. :P

Speaking of months, I wonder why the autumn months are so unpopular as names. October, September, November and December and their local versions.

Oh, please say it, just use extra spaces between the letters or something to make it ungooglable!

Well, people usually want to give their child a name with nice associations. I don't know about you, but I associate October like: 'rain and storm and no nice activities at all'.

@Sophie: Maybe I missed it, but where exactly is Vera popular these days? I know two girls my age (around 25) with that name by the way, so it's not that old-fashioned in the Netherlands :)

Corrections appreciated.

Kenny

Postby Kenny » 2013-01-14, 15:01

Varislintu wrote:My Finnish speaking relatives named their girl very peculiarly just yesterday. But I don't know if I should publicize it here. :P

September reminds me of a character of the same name in Fringe.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2013-01-14, 15:51

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:Oh, please say it, just use extra spaces between the letters or something to make it ungooglable!

Oh, good idea. She got two names, and her middle name is just as special, so I'm adding it, too. I hope they don't mind. I don't see the harm in it and I love the names, they're cool!

E t n a

O t t i l i a n a

And yes, the given name is after the v o l c a n o. :D Because they love mountains and nobody will mess with a girl with a name like that. ;)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2013-01-14, 15:56

Varislintu wrote:And yes, the given name is after the v o l c a n o. :D Because they love mountains and nobody will mess with a girl with a name like that. ;)

Here in the States the primary association will likely be with the health insurance behemoth rather than the mountain, sadly. (And they'll wonder why it has been misspelled.)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2013-01-14, 16:00

linguoboy wrote:Here in the States the primary association will likely be with the health insurance behemoth rather than the mountain, sadly. (And they'll wonder why it has been misspelled.)

Hehe, no worries about that here, I don't think people have come across the company (I've never). :D

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2013-01-14, 21:05

I think the first name is very nice, but the second... No. My mother has considered to call me Ottoline and each day I'm glad that I have a father too.

Corrections appreciated.

Lada

Postby Lada » 2013-01-15, 8:43

I was thinking a lot about the names and when it comes for Russian names I like them for their meaning and foreign names for their sound mainly.

Male Russian names: Vsevolod (owing everything), Lev (Lion), Yaroslav (glorifying Yarilo (God of the Sun))
Female names: Svetlana (light, bright), Yaroslava

Other male names: Sebastian, Tyler, Jermaine, Derek, Laszlo
Other female names: Geraldine, Aisha, Josephine, Ophelia, Vivian,

Can't think of anything else, probably I like some others too...

And thinking about strange names, there were news about a man trying to call his son БОЧ РВФ 260602 that stands for Human Biological Object of the Voronin-Frolov clan born on June 26, 2002. Russian officials declined this name and Strasbourg Human Rights court declined that too. The most interesting thing that parents don't want to give another name and poor boy still lives without birth certificate and any other papers as if he doesn't exist...

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:@Sophie: Maybe I missed it, but where exactly is Vera popular these days?

In Russia, but not too much, only among very religious people, due to its meaning.

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2013-01-16, 20:15

Lada wrote:
Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:@Sophie: Maybe I missed it, but where exactly is Vera popular these days?

In Russia, but not too much, only among very religious people, due to its meaning.

I didn't know the meaning, had to look it up and then I saw it was a Russian name originally. In the Netherlands no one thinks of the meaning of Vera, as far as I can tell.
I really like the name Svetlana, but it's really... Russian, not really suitable for Dutch children.

And what a sad story about the child without a birth certificate!
In Belgium there was this family with 'Pot' as a last name and they wanted to call their child 'Bloem' but they were refused to do that, because then you would get Bloem Pot (Flower pot)...

Corrections appreciated.

Return to “Culture”