National breeds of dogs [split]

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

CoBB

Postby CoBB » 2007-03-25, 17:44

There are a few breeds one can immediately associate with Hungary: vizsla, puli, kuvasz, agár (Hungarian Greyhound), pumi and komondor. There’s also the less known mudi.

Van néhány fajta, amely rögtön Magyarországhoz köthető: vizsla, puli, kuvasz, agár, pumi és komondor. Emellett van a kevésbé ismert mudi.
Tanulni, tanulni, tanulni!

A pő, ha engemély, kimár / De mindegegy, ha vildagár... / ...mert engemély mindet bagul, / Mint vélgaban a bégahur!...

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2007-03-25, 17:57

The Jamtlandic Elkhound (a.k.a. Jämthund) in action (note the hunter's traditional ęlslęðrbrøkr [ˈæːʂlæːɾˌbɾøːkɾ̩] 'elk leather pants'):
A puppy Jamtlandic Elkhound:
An adult Jamtlandic Elkhound:
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

Ulven

Postby Ulven » 2007-03-30, 17:11

Varislintu wrote:
Alcadras wrote:Btw, Kangals can memorize from 250 to 1000 words in their minds. This number is only 10-25 in other dogs.

And people say small dogs are the smartest :ohwell:.
Ja ihmiset sanovat pikkukoirien olevan älykkäimpiä :ohwell:.

Alcadras wrote:When they understand that they're gonna die, they just leave their owners.

:(
All dogs and cats go away to die. My dog did it at one point when a brace inside her leg designed to save it had adverse effects on her body tissue. The leg is gone :( , but Rhoda isn't :)...

She's a Rhodesian Ridgeback (of Zimbabwe) cross Great Dane.

Speaking of intelligence, here's a (paraphrased) quote from a scientist named ... Weis, (cat-lovers, look away)... "if you were shrunken down to fit in the palm of a human hand, your cat would try to eat you but your dog would recognize you" :lol:

Varis, your dog looks funny. He has an odd shaped face. Very lovable looking :)

Anyway, Australia's national dogs - the domestic is the Blue Cattle Dog/Blue Heeler...
http://search.live.com/images/results.aspx?FORM=MSNH&v=1&MKT=en-au&RS=CHECKED&GO=GO&q=blue%20cattle%20dog
They're great for farms and backs of utes (little pick-up trucks), but families with children are advised against getting this breed as they're a bit temperamental.
On the wild side of things, the Dingo...
http://search.live.com/images/results.aspx?q=dingo&FORM=QBIR&v=1&MKT=en-au&RS=CHECKED&GO=GO
There are domestic dogs with dingo mix in them, but pure-breed dingos are too wild to be fit for domestication. The past couple of years have seen some attacks on some Islands in the north-east, as their habitat is diminishing, (isn't everyone's :roll: :( ).
If a tree falls in the woods
And no-one's there to hear
...the man under it scream
Is he really hurt?
And did he deserve it?

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2007-03-30, 17:23

Ulven wrote:Image

That's a spooky picture, dude! :wink:
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2007-03-30, 18:21

Ulven wrote:Speaking of intelligence, here's a (paraphrased) quote from a scientist named ... Weis, (cat-lovers, look away)... "if you were shrunken down to fit in the palm of a human hand, your cat would try to eat you but your dog would recognize you" :lol:

Heh, although is that good or bad intelligence-wise :P?

Heh, toisaalta, onko tämä hyvä vai huono asia älykkyyden kannalta :P?

Ulven wrote:Varis, your dog looks funny. He has an odd shaped face. Very lovable looking :)

Why thank you, I like his head, too ;). It's definitely funny looking :yep:. He's a smooth collie, by the way.

Voi kiitoksia, minäkin pidän hänen päästään ;). Se on tosiaankin hauskannäköinen :yep:. Hän on muuten lyhytkarvainen collie.

(Eyes: "You are pointing that thing at me again."
Left ear: "Kitchen? Kitchen?"
Right ear: "Front door? Front door?" :P)

Le Serpent Rouge

Postby Le Serpent Rouge » 2007-03-30, 21:12

Ulven wrote:Speaking of intelligence, here's a (paraphrased) quote from a scientist named ... Weis, (cat-lovers, look away)... "if you were shrunken down to fit in the palm of a human hand, your cat would try to eat you but your dog would recognize you" :lol:

I’m five times bigger than my cat and he still tries to eat me. :D
The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

Ulven

Postby Ulven » 2007-03-30, 21:17

Varislintu wrote:

Heh, although is that good or bad intelligence-wise :P?

Heh, toisaalta, onko tämä hyvä vai huono asia älykkyyden kannalta :P?
Minä en ymmärtä kysymystä, anteeksi :P Hyvä on että jos minä oli niin pieni, minä olisin helpotusta että han tunnistaa minua. :P

-I don't understand the question, sorry. Of course, if I did happen to get shrunken, I'd be relieved to see his recognizing me. I think it's an hilarious scenario. The cat taking swipes at you with his paw. The dog looking at you, tilting his his in utter confusion, getting restless not knowing whether to bark at you or obey you. "Stop it, Varis! Go back to your normal size!" as if you had control over the situation :lol: Dogs are like that, they think we're in control. How adorably naive, hehe.
Is he really hurt?
And did he deserve it?

Ulven

Postby Ulven » 2007-03-30, 21:18

Le Serpent Rouge wrote:

:lol:

Varis, teetkö sinä mieli tarttua hänen suunsa?

Varis, do you ever get the urge to grab his gob (mouth)? That's what I feel like doing after seeing that latest photo :D I sometimes put an elastic band around Rhoda's mouth - I can't help it :( Now she doesn't bother trying to roll it off because she knows I'll take it off after a couple of seconds. "Oh, this again. I'll just wait a moment for him to relent. It's easier that way". Another evil thing I do is clip pegs to her ears as ear-rings - I do this to humans too :P My childishness is insatiable.
Last edited by Ulven on 2007-03-30, 21:33, edited 1 time in total.
Is he really hurt?
And did he deserve it?

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2007-03-30, 21:19

Le Serpent Rouge wrote:

Five times bigger? Either you are extremely small or you've got a huge cat!
Carl Sagan

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2007-03-30, 22:22

Ulven wrote:Minä en ymmärrä kysymystä, anteeksi :P Hyvä on että Tietenkin jos minä olisin niin pieni, minä olisin helpottunut että hän tunnistaa minut. :P

[...]

Dogs are like that, they think we're in control. How adorably naive, hehe.

Yes, that is certainly true :lol:! But we love them for it, too ;).

Kyllä, tuo on tosiaan totta :lol:! Mutta siitä juuri pidämmekin heissä ;).

Ulven wrote:Varis, teekeekö sinun mieli tarttua hänen suuhunsa?

Varis, do you ever get the urge to grab his gob (mouth)? That's what I feel like doing after seeing that latest photo :D

Not me, but my dad actually greets him by grabbing his nose and gently shaking it up and down as if it were a hand and he's giving a handshake :P. And he calles him "nokkaeläin" ("beak animal", i.e. platypus) :ohwell:.

Ei minun, mutta isäni itse asiassa tervehtii häntä tarttumalla hänen kuonoonsa ja hellästi heiluttamalla sitä niin kuin se olisi käsi, ja hän puristamassa sitä :P. Ja isäni kutsuu häntä "nokkaeläimeksi" :ohwell:.

Ulven wrote:I sometimes put an elastic band around Rhoda's mouth - I can't help it :( Now she doesn't bother trying to roll it off because she knows I'll take it off after a couple of seconds. "Oh, this again. I'll just wait a moment for him to relent. It's easier that way".

Oh I know that attitude, E. (that's his name) has become an expert in it :lol:. We take advantage of his polite and patient nature, I fear :ohno:. Mostly with hats, and socks, and t-shirt turbans :oops:.

Voi, tiedän tuon asenteen, E.:stä (se on hänen nimensä) on tullut asiantuntija siinä :lol:. Pelkäänpä, että käytämme hyväksemme hänen kohteliasta ja kärsivällistä luonnettaan :ohno:. Enimmäkseen hatuilla, sukilla, ja t-paitaturbaaneilla :oops:.

Last edited by Varislintu on 2014-09-22, 8:54, edited 1 time in total.

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2007-03-31, 1:40

Lemme see… As far as I know, there are two dog breeds developed in Brazil. One is the Brazilian Terrier (fox paulistinha):

And the other is the Brazilian Mastiff (fila brasileiro):

I guess almost everyone I know have had a Brazilian Terrier in some point of their lives, hehe.
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

Ulven

Postby Ulven » 2007-03-31, 6:10

Varislintu wrote:Not me, but my dad actually greets him by grabbing his nose and gently shaking it up and down as if it were a hand and he's giving a handshake :P. And he calles him "nokkaeläin" ("beak animal", i.e. platypus) :ohwell:.
Se on hullunkurinen :lol: Minun isäni on ihminen joka tarttuu nenäjä myös.
-That's funny! My dad's also a nose-grabber.

I'm glad my Finnish wasn't being majorly reconstructed. At least I'm getting in the ball-park of comprehensibility using your language. It's good that you know when not to overhaul my sentences and accept their awkwardness :wink: I'm happy with the bare minimum resemblance to Finnish sentence-making :D

@Psi Lord
Isn't there a 'Brazilian Fighting Dog' of some desciption? Not that they'd be a good mascot for your nation... :P

Question to all: are there any breeds of dog banned in your nation? And: is tail-docking legal? (docking = chopping off the tail to display pure-breed status)
In Australia, the American Pitbull is banned due to aggressiveness. All current surviving American Pit Bulls must be neutered and the dog shelters aren't allowed to rehome the abandonned ones. Sad, but neccessary, I believe :(
And docking of tails is illegal under the Cruelty to Animals Act. The yuppies (rich snobs) had a cry about that one. *Sucked in! 8)

*Australian slang for "I'm glad for your misfortune"
Is he really hurt?
And did he deserve it?

skye

Postby skye » 2007-03-31, 7:07

Karst shepherd dog (kraški ovčar)

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2007-03-31, 8:52

Ulven wrote:Question to all: are there any breeds of dog banned in your nation? And: is tail-docking legal? (docking = chopping off the tail to display pure-breed status)

I couldn't find out if there are banned dog breeds in Finland - so I'm assuming there isn't. There was talk about it a few years ago after some attacks.

Tail-docking is illegal, and I believe all other cosmetic nipping too, like cutting ears smaller. One of the saddest shows I've ever seen on TV was about dogs' plastic surgery in some place in the USA (California?). Those owners, seriously... cut off half their ears for fun and see how they like it :x :x :x!

En saanut selville onko Suomessa kiellettyjä koirarotuja - joten oletan ettei ole. Siitä oli puhetta muutama vuosi sitten joidenkin päällekarkauksien jälkeen.

Hännäntypistys on kielletty, ja uskoakseni muukin kosmeettinen typistäminen, kuten korvien pienennys. Yksi surullisimmista ohjelmista, jonka olen nähnyt, kertoi koirien kauneusleikkauksista jossakin Amerikassa (Kaliforniassa?). Ne omistajat, oikeasti... leikataanpa heidän korvistaan puolet pois huvin vuoksi ja katsotaan miten suu sitten pannaan :x :x :x!

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2007-03-31, 9:00

Besides languages, my interests are dogs :D So this thread is made for me 8) I have an English breed called Cavalier King Charles Spaniel in this colour:

Ve sia tå språk, er hundær no som opptar mæ :D Soå denna trån er som lagd for meg 8) Ja har é engelsk rase kalt cavalier king charles spaniel i denna fargen:

But my favourite breed is indeed the Dutch Kooikerhondje :D (God, I'm jealous at Vogelvrij...)

Men favvorittrasa er helt klart dn nederlandske kooikerhunden :D (Gud, ja er soå missunnle på Vogelvrij...)

Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)
Exposed to (fo) Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs)

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2007-03-31, 9:10

Ulven wrote:@Psi Lord
Isn't there a 'Brazilian Fighting Dog' of some desciption? Not that they'd be a good mascot for your nation... :P

Hmmmm, I couldn’t really think of any other breed that might’ve been ‘created’ here, and the Wikipedia articles I checked do indeed only mention those two. That’s not to say there may not be a third one, but, if it exists, it’s not widely known. We’ve had our share of bad stories about Pit Bulls making it to the media, though, but I guess there’s no Brazilian Pit Bull breed anyway.

Tail-docking is extremely common here, and the Wikipedia article on it lists its legal status in Brazil as ‘unrestricted’.

I had a cat with no tail years ago, and everyone kept asking me if I’d had the poor creature docked. I wonder if anyone’d actually do that to cats… :roll: In the case of my cat, it was just an accident when she was born – her mum bit her tail off when trying to bite her umbilical cord instead.

As for banned breeds, every single time news on accidents involving Pit Bulls reach the media, I hear discussions about it. As far as I know, though, no breeds are legally banned in Brazil.
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2007-03-31, 9:27

Recent studies suggest, however, that the pain felt by the puppy is not immediate but is as great as the pain in an adult dog[citation needed]. This invalidates the long-held belief that puppies are incapable of feeling the docking. Docking proponents argue that the pain felt by the puppy is insignificant compared to the pain felt by an adult dog with a tail injury, so that docking should be allowed as a preventative measure in traditionally docked breeds.

I once watched a program (about 10 minutes, then I couldn't take it anymore) about how these illegal dog factory keepers in Eastern Europe and Russia do the tail-docking of puppies. They basically tied a string real tight around the tail so that blood couldn't flow and it would eventually drop off. You can imagine the puppy's whines at this torture. I just couldn't watch. So people, please, please never buy a puppy whose mother and birth home you haven't seen, even if it's cheaper :ohno:!

Asema

Postby Asema » 2007-03-31, 10:00

Ulven wrote:Question to all: are there any breeds of dog banned in your nation?

As far as I know, in Russia there are no banned breeds, but the discussion is, about dangerous breeds.
My wife told me that one evening she walked along the street, and suddenly saw an aggressive looking dog running fast towards her. She climbed on the tree. Dog's owner came and at the same time police arrived. Policemen came out of the car, they didn't see the dog and asked what's happened. When they saw the dog they climbed on their car. The dog managed to catch one policeman's foot and didn't release. Policeman asked dog's owner to take it away. Owner tried to take the dog away, but it attacked it's owner, so that the policemen were forced to shoot.

Martine

Postby Martine » 2007-03-31, 11:30

Polish national dog is Polish Lowland Sheepdog (Polski Owczarek Nizinny or just PON). Nice dog, but not very popular in the world.

Other dogs from Poland:
:arrow: chart
:arrow: and my favourite Polish Tatra Sheepdog

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2007-03-31, 17:35

I haven't read the whole thread, but we have a Kooikerhondje, which is typical Dutch.

If you want to see how it looks, click here: http://www.kooikerhondje.nl
Native: Dutch
Learns: Latin and French
Knows also (a bit): English, German, Turkish, Danish

Corrections appreciated.

Return to “Culture”