National breeds of dogs [split]

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Siegel

Postby Siegel » 2007-03-22, 12:57

I can't tell what my dog is, she has brown eyes and I can't see her skin color, she's too hairy, oh god

:( :( :(

Teup

Postby Teup » 2007-03-22, 16:11

You can't? Well, I checked mine.. Astor looks typically Belgian, typically Tervueren, to be exact :P

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2007-03-22, 19:49

This is the national dog of Jämtland, the Jämthund:
    Jämthund (Jamtlandic Elkhound, though sometimes incorrectly called "Swedish Elkhound").
I assume it's most closely related to the Norwegian Elkhound:
    Nrwegian Elkhound.
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

Teup

Postby Teup » 2007-03-23, 1:36

Hunef wrote:
    Nrwegian Elkhound.

Aww that is the cutest dog ever! :D I want one of those :P

You guys have a national _dog_ even, huh :lol: Hmm in fact Holland has one as well, the ugliest dog breed ever invented :?

Hollandic Shepherd Dog.

The Holland peninsula is so damn far below sea level that the dog has been bred to hover above the ground, apparently..

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2007-03-23, 1:44

Teup wrote:Aww that is the cutest dog ever! :D I want one of those :P

We used to have a Norwegian Elkhound from mid 1990's to early 2000's. They are indeed cute, though they are supposed to be used for hunting elk. That was the purpose of our dog, but she had some mental illness (she was too nervous) so she could never be used in the forest.
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2007-03-23, 20:18

Car wrote:Hunef: The two elkhounds looks so nice!

You are interested to have one? I don't think they are more expensive than other similar dogs. But they are physically demanding. You can't keep them in your house for eternity, they need a lot of physical exercise. :lol:
Carl Sagan

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2007-03-23, 20:21

Siegel wrote:Wow Elkhounds are beautiful.

Yeah, they are definitely better looking than Officer Rex:
    Officer Rex (and humanoid friends), toughest cop in Vienna.
Carl Sagan

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2007-03-23, 21:26

Car wrote:
Hunef wrote:
Car wrote:Hunef: The two elkhounds looks so nice!

You are interested to have one? I don't think they are more expensive than other similar dogs. But they are physically demanding. You can't keep them in your house for eternity, they need a lot of physical exercise. :lol:

What a pity, I really like their looks, but I couldn't keep a dog anyway. :(

You seem to be a sporty girl, so I am sure you can keep up with their needs. :lol:

Car wrote:What's wrong with Officer Rex? I used to watch that series many, many years ago. :)

Nothing wrong with Rex, but he's a bit ugly. :wink:

It was broadcasted many years ago? It feels like the last season was just aired on Swedish TV. :roll: (Maybe you are younger and maybe the show was broadcasted on Swedish TV a couple of years later than in the German speaking area.)
Last edited by Hunef on 2007-03-23, 21:28, edited 1 time in total.
Carl Sagan

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2007-03-24, 10:20

Hunef wrote:You seem to be a sporty girl, so I am sure you can keep up with their needs. :lol:

I'm interested in sports, but not sporty, unfortunately.

It was broadcasted many years ago? It feels like the last season was just aired on Swedish TV. :roll: (Maybe you are younger and maybe the show was broadcasted on Swedish TV a couple of years later than in the German speaking area.)

I stopped watching many years ago, when it still was on. I think it's still shown on TV here, I'll check later. I just lost interest in it at some point.
Please correct my mistakes!

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2007-03-24, 18:10

Car wrote:

I stopped watching many years ago, when it still was on. I think it's still shown on TV here, I'll check later. I just lost interest in it at some point.

The last season was shown in Germany and Austria in 2004. I guess it's only reruns shown today.

How come you lost interest in the TV series? I don't know of any more popular German speaking TV series shown on Swedish TV. (Perhaps Heimat a couple of decades ago? I was just a little kid back then, though. But at least my parents watched it.)
Carl Sagan

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2007-03-24, 18:47

Hunef wrote:How come you lost interest in the TV series?

Because of all the changes involving rex's partners. I really liked Richard Moser (Tobias Moretti) and Stocki (Karl Markovics) a lot and for me, the series lost a lot when the two were replaced. I still saw some episodes with Gedeon Burkhard, but I must have quit before he left.
Please correct my mistakes!

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2007-03-24, 18:53

Car wrote:
Hunef wrote:How come you lost interest in the TV series?

Because of all the changes involving rex's partners. I really liked Richard Moser (Tobias Moretti) and Stocki (Karl Markovics) a lot and for me, the series lost a lot when the two were replaced. I still saw some episodes with Gedeon Burkhard, but I must have quit before he left.

Well, I didn't like that Richie Moser left, but I definitely enjoyed Christian Böck (see pics above) more than Stocki. I started to lose interest when the third incarnation appear.
Something similar happened with X-files too. I was really hooked on to the series until Mulder suddenly disappeared and Scully was no longer a main character.
Carl Sagan

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2007-03-25, 10:11

I did a (rather crude) split, because I want to continue on this topic ;).
Tein (melko karkean) jaon, koska haluan jatkaa tästä aiheesta ;).

This is the Finnish national dog, the Finnish Spitz:
Tämä on Suomen kansalliskoira, suomenpystykorva:

It's smaller than the Elkhounds, as it is mostly used for small game (although elk as well). From some angles, it looks quite a lot like the Japanese Shiba:
Se on hirvikoiria pienempi, koska sitä käytetään lähinnä pienriistaa varten (hirviä myös, tosin). Se näyttää joistakin kulmista aika paljon japanilaiselta shibalta:

But the Shiba is also suitable for keeping in cities, unlike the Finnish Spitz, which is prone to barking and just generally needs a lot of exercise. In fact, there is one Shiba (word is two, but I've never met the other one) in my parents' neighbourhood. Absolutely adorable looking, considering it's a smallish dog :P.
Mutta shiba soveltuu myös kaupunkeihin, toisin kuin suomenpystykorva, jolla on taipumus haukkua ja vaatii muutenkin paljon liikuntaa. Itse asiassa, vanhempieni naapurustossa asuu yksi shiba (kuulema kaksi, mutten ole koskaan tavannut toista). Todellakin ihastuttavan näköinen, ottaen huomioon, että se on pienehkö koira :P.

The Shiba is not the same thing as the Japanese Akita Inu, though, which is large. Akita Inu is Japan's national dog breed:
Shiba ei kuitenkaan ole sama asia kuin japanilainen akita inu, joka on isokokoinen. Akita inu on Japanin kansalliskoira:

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2007-03-25, 11:14

And the national dog of Cape Ivis is naturally the Smooth Haired Treat Retriever :mrgreen::
Ja Iikkarin kansalliskoira on tietenkin lyhytkarvainen makupalannoutaja :mrgreen::

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2007-03-25, 12:34

And this is the national dog of Västergötland: Västgötaspets

On Wikipedia the English article said Swedish Vallhund (Swedish Hearding Dog) but whoever came up with that name was very wrong. If the name is to be translated correctly it would be something like West Geatic Spitz or Västergötland Spitz.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

Alcadras

Postby Alcadras » 2007-03-25, 14:05

"Kangal" is the national dog of Turkey.
Here is a picture of them:
http://www.kangalkopekleri.com/slayt/bigs/08.jpg
http://www.kangalkopekleri.com/slayt/bigs/09.jpg

and these are the cutie babies: :lol:
http://upload.wikimeda.org/wikipedia/co ... de_009.jpg

Kangals are known as guard dogs. Their most important features are that, they're very faithful to their owners. and they don't do anything to kids, so you don't need to get worry. They're so brave to fight with a bear, and beat a pig.

Here is an english wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangal_Dog

And a Finnish wiki page
http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangal

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2007-03-25, 14:48

Alcadras wrote:http://www.kangalkopekleri.com/slayt/bigs/09.jpg

Goodness me, Alcadras, that is one huge dog :shock:! Looks very friendly though :).

Hyvänen aika, Alcadras, siinäpä valtava koira :shock:! Näyttää kylläkin tosi ystävälliseltä :).

Lada

Postby Lada » 2007-03-25, 15:54

Some national dog breeds from Russia:

Кавказская овчарка
Caucasian shepherd
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_Ovcharka

Восточно-Европейская овчарка
East European shepherd
East European Shepherd is a breed of dog that was created by mixing German Shepherd Dogs with local Russian breeds in the 1930's for army use.

Лайка
Laika
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laika_%28dog_breed%29

Русский черный терьер
Russian black terrier
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Black_Terrier

Московская сторожевая
Moscow watchdog
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_Watchdog

Русский спаниель
Russian spaniel
http://www.russianspaniel.com/
http://www.thebreedsofdogs.com/RUSSIAN_SPANIEL.htm

They are so cute :D

More photos

Alcadras

Postby Alcadras » 2007-03-25, 17:06

Varislintu wrote:
Alcadras wrote:http://www.kangalkopekleri.com/slayt/bigs/09.jpg

Goodness me, Alcadras, that is one huge dog :shock:! Looks very friendly though :).

Hyvänen aika, Alcadras, siinäpä valtava koira :shock:! Näyttää kylläkin tosi ystävälliseltä :).

Yes.
Btw, Kangals can memorize from 250 to 1000 words in their minds. This number is only 10-25 in other dogs.
These dogs are not looked after in cities, but only villages, calm places. They are very cute when they were baby, but you have to get a chain for it, when it's adult.
They do everything for their owner, even can die. (That has been tested.)
:(

When they understand that they're gonna die, they just leave their owners.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2007-03-25, 17:29

Alcadras wrote:Btw, Kangals can memorize from 250 to 1000 words in their minds. This number is only 10-25 in other dogs.

And people say small dogs are the smartest :ohwell:.
Ja ihmiset sanovat pikkukoirien olevan älykkäimpiä :ohwell:.

Alcadras wrote:When they understand that they're gonna die, they just leave their owners.

:(

Return to “Culture”