Relation between first name and age

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Is it possible to determine a person's age from their first name in your country?

Definitely!
36%
No way!
18%
Don't know / Depends
46%

Total votes: 28

lilith
name and age

Postby lilith » 2002-08-27, 20:09

Apart from trends in the choice of some names, there are awful names which become fashionable due to the diffusion of soap operas or sport events: so you can bet that a Sue Ellen or a JR are born (poor children) in the 80's....
Lilith

Weldal

Football also has some influence on (male) names

Postby Weldal » 2002-08-27, 23:52

I think that football has also some influence on male names, at least here in Brazil: recently a lot of babies have been called Ronaldo and Rivaldo, in the same way that one can see several 6 to 10 years old kids called Romario, the star of the 1994 World Cup champion team...
Romario, by the way, is still playing football, this year in my club (Fluminense)...

Patricia

Re: Football also has some influence on (male) names

Postby Patricia » 2002-08-28, 0:51

Weldal wrote:I think that football has also some influence on male names, at least here in Brazil: recently a lot of babies have been called Ronaldo and Rivaldo, in the same way that one can see several 6 to 10 years old kids called Romario, the star of the 1994 World Cup champion team...
Romario, by the way, is still playing football, this year in my club (Fluminense)...

That's true Weldal, here there are lots of boys called Diego, after Maradona.

Weldal

Yes, Maradona was a wonderful player...

Postby Weldal » 2002-08-29, 0:34

Yes, Patricia, Maradona was a wonderful player, I can not forget a goal against England (the one with the foot, of course) and another against Belgium both in the 1986 World Cup...
I felt sad when I knew that he had problems with cocaine. We, fans, always think that the football players are heros, but in fact they are human beings... :(
The same happened to a famous Brazilian player of a distant past, Garrincha (1958 and 1962 World Cups), but in his case the problem was alcoholic drink. :(
Well, I think that I went far away on the football subject on the wrong forum, suddenly someone appears to remember that this is a language forum... :wink:

Patricia

Re: Yes, Maradona was a wonderful player...

Postby Patricia » 2002-08-29, 3:00

Weldal wrote:Yes, Patricia, Maradona was a wonderful player, I can not forget a goal against England (the one with the foot, of course) and another against Belgium both in the 1986 World Cup...
I felt sad when I knew that he had problems with cocaine. We, fans, always think that the football players are heros, but in fact they are human beings... :(
The same happened to a famous Brazilian player of a distant past, Garrincha (1958 and 1962 World Cups), but in his case the problem was alcoholic drink. :(
Well, I think that I went far away on the football subject on the wrong forum, suddenly someone appears to remember that this is a language forum... :wink:

You're very right in what you say Weldal....and we could list other tragic cases of fallen football heroes, like Paul Gascoigne, but, let's stick to the names issue.....we have a whole other forum to talk about footie....maybe you want to continue this conversation in the proper forum. :D

darkina

Postby darkina » 2002-09-09, 20:43

I didn't know that it is possible that a name is refused at the office...i've heard any kind of strange, foreign-sounding names here...

I wanted to add: as far as i know, the name Andrea is a female name in most countries, while in italy is male and extremely common (i think giving that name to a girl is considered still quite weird).

I also think that some names sound very old-fashioned now, but i think that more thna this in italy form the name you can infer which area soemone is from...some names are more typical in the south and if someone in the north has that name it's probbaly (though not for sure, of course) because he/she has southern origin. For example, Francy mentioned the name Cataldo which is very common in some areas of the south (Campania for example): i have a cousin there called like that, his grandfather has that name too... but i could mention a lot of names i've heard in the south only, or that here in the north would maybe be very old people's name or not really exist (example: Salvatore, Gaetano, Filomeno/a, Vincenza, Assunta, Speranza,...)

Return to “Culture”