What song are you listening to right now? 3

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: What song are you listening to right now? 3

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-06-20, 5:35

Fula a.k.a. Fulani (autonym Fulfulde) is a language spoken in various West African countries. Like the Bantu languages, it's classified under the Atlantic-Congo branch of the Niger-Congo family, not the Volta-Congo branch like a lot of the other Niger-Congo languages I've been posting songs in so far. :) Within Atlantic-Congo, it's a member of the Senegambian branch, which also includes Wolof. However, its closest relative is a language called Serer, which is also spoken in Senegal, Gambia, and Mauritania (like Wolof). There are various dialects of Fula that are apparently mutually intelligible; one of them is Nigerian Fulfulde, which I think is the variety that this song, "Babba Sadou," is in. The song itself ends at 5:40 in this video; the rest of the video is basically just blank:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld-RyKLVNyo

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-06-20, 13:27

Osias wrote:I know that song in Portuguese.

Como dizer "El Shaddai" em português?
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2017-06-20, 15:55

It seems that it's "El Shadday" in Portuguese.
dEhiN wrote:You're right, it's not the name for God in Christianity (and I assume Judaism); that would be Yahweh. Yes, it is just one of many Jewish names for God. I should've written "a Jewish-cum-Christian...".

But Christians use that name along with several other Jewish names regularly (including Yahweh but also other names that start with El). Some references for you:

1) There's a Christian song called "El Shaddai", and here's a version sung by a Christian artist called Amy Grant. I'm aware of this song because I've played and sung it many times with the church band I was involved with in my 20s.

2) Here is a church called El Shaddai Christian Church.

3) Here is some Christian ministry that seems to reference El Shaddai, though it's not in their name per se.

4) Here is an article on a site run by a Christian Reverend which seeks to explain the meaning of El Shaddai.
IME it's more of a Jewish thing. Christians don't even habitually say Yahweh, they just say "God" or "the Lord". I have heard Yahweh in a few hymns, and other Jewish names like Sabaoth (Hebrew tseva'ot), so I'm not surprised it's used at least occasionally. But it's not common as far as I know.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-06-21, 0:33

There's an "Iglesia El Shaddai" here. Apparently, it's a Pentecostal church. My brother and I didn't know what "El Shaddai" was supposed to be and thought that since it's sounded a bit like Arabic, maybe the church had something to do with Lebanese Mexicans.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-06-21, 1:25

dEhiN wrote:
Osias wrote:I know that song in Portuguese.

Como dizer "El Shaddai" em português?

A parte "El shaddai, el shaddai, elyonna adonai" fica igual o original. Aqui uma versão: https://www.letras.mus.br/marcos-goes/el-shaddai/
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

sandrodream

Postby sandrodream » 2017-06-21, 7:08

dEhiN wrote:
sandrodream wrote:Fiorella Mannoia, great italian singer one of my favourited

It sounds better to say "one of my favourites". The only time I've used or seen "favourited" used is in an active sense: I favourited this song today on my Spotify playlist. But if you're using the possessive adjective, then the noun you need to use is "favourite". Also, as a style note, it looks a little strange to my English eyes to see "great Italian singer one of my favourites" because those are two different ideas put together as one sentence. It looks better to my eyes to use a comma: "great Italian singer, one of my favourites".

than you for the advice I need to improve my english :wink:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-06-21, 18:42

mōdgethanc wrote:ME it's more of a Jewish thing. Christians don't even habitually say Yahweh, they just say "God" or "the Lord". I have heard Yahweh in a few hymns, and other Jewish names like Sabaoth (Hebrew tseva'ot), so I'm not surprised it's used at least occasionally. But it's not common as far as I know.

vijayjohn wrote:There's an "Iglesia El Shaddai" here. Apparently, it's a Pentecostal church. My brother and I didn't know what "El Shaddai" was supposed to be and thought that since it's sounded a bit like Arabic, maybe the church had something to do with Lebanese Mexicans.

Yeah I guess it is more of a Jewish thing. And now that I think about it, growing up in churches I never really heard any variant of an "El" title outside of songs. With the exception of Pentecostal churches. For some reason, perhaps due to their history (?), I always found Pentecostal churches as being more traditional than other Protestant denominations in the incorporation of traditionally Jewish elements.

sandrodream wrote:than you for the advice I need to improve my english :wink:

Di niente!
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-06-22, 3:30

dEhiN wrote:And now that I think about it, growing up in churches I never really heard any variant of an "El" title outside of songs.

You've heard it in songs? Non-Jewish ones?

I think I've only ever heard it in a Jewish context and in Jesus Christ's alleged last words in Aramaic.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-06-22, 4:11

vijayjohn wrote:Non-Jewish ones?

Define non-Jewish. For example, for me that song "El Shaddai" is non-Jewish and specifically Christian because (afaik) it's a song written for and sung in Christian churches. It might be referring to Hebraic words and therefore Jewish concepts, but the context for me is a Christian one. I consider the song Adonai by Avalon to be the same: the song in both the title and chorus reference the Hebraic word adonai but the song is a Christian song, not a Jewish one.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-06-24, 3:28

dEhiN wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Non-Jewish ones?

Define non-Jewish.

Oh, sorry, I didn't realize until just now that you said "define"! I thought it was a typo for "definitely" or something :silly:

I'm thinking of Jewish prayer songs. I don't know any of these songs you mentioned and have never heard of any of them.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2017-06-24, 6:50

I always found Pentecostal churches as being more traditional than other Protestant denominations in the incorporation of traditionally Jewish elements.
Having been to temple many times before, I find rolling around on the floor having grand mal seizures and jabbering in nonsense syllables to be rather non-traditional. (Not to mention the snake-handling.)
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

h34

Postby h34 » 2017-06-24, 10:25

Мара - Арктика
Mara - Arktika
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by h34 on 2017-07-07, 11:36, edited 1 time in total.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2017-06-24, 18:51

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-06-24, 20:35

Gwandara is a West Chadic language and Hausa's closest relative, spoken in northern Nigeria like Hausa itself. Apparently, the Karashi a.k.a. Karshi dialect of Gwandara is the prestige variety. This apparently begins with a song in that variety:

http://globalrecordings.net/en/program/A63448

h34

Postby h34 » 2017-07-01, 20:08

Itsukusim - Four Gig
Last edited by h34 on 2017-07-07, 11:39, edited 1 time in total.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-07-01, 23:18

1:12-1:38 of Track 1 in this link is apparently in another variety of Gwandara called Kenkera:

http://globalrecordings.net/en/program/C14560

h34

Postby h34 » 2017-07-05, 9:59

Koyama Erina - Kai:
Last edited by h34 on 2017-07-07, 11:41, edited 1 time in total.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-07-07, 4:29

Ìgbómìnà a.k.a. Igbomina, Igboona, and Ogboona is a variety of Yoruba spoken by a subgroup of the Yoruba people in southwestern Nigeria, specifically in eastern Kwara State and northern Osun State. This is a video of some Igbomina dancers from Kwara State first being introduced in English. They start singing at 2:10 and performing a dance called "Elewe":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBxwpVjXQCs

h34

Postby h34 » 2017-07-07, 11:58

Мара - Калевала
Mara - Kalevala

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-07-07, 18:07

I see what you did there. Maybe I'll try doing the same thing, even though I'm not sure there's any point now.

This is a song in another variety of Yoruba called Ekiti, spoken just north of where Igbomina is spoken IIRC. It's called "Eru Re O Le Baniyan" and is by Femi Ariyo:

Return to “Culture”