Albanian

Any language which does not have a specific forum can have a thread made for it here.
Stan
Albanian

Postby Stan » 2005-11-25, 3:51

I always get excited when I see a new VSL forum :D

Tungjatjeta, nuk flas shqip! :lol:

toksave

Postby toksave » 2005-11-25, 4:53

is this for learning albanian??? yyyaaaayyyy!!!!!

ego

Postby ego » 2005-11-25, 13:52

Tung! :D
Is there anyone who will answer questions or even teach Albanian? Red devil? This is great news

Quetzalcoatl

Postby Quetzalcoatl » 2005-11-25, 14:02

I'd like to learn a little Albanian, because I know absolutely nothing about it except that it is indoeuropean. Is there anyone who'd like to teach me some? 8)

Passe-Cale

Postby Passe-Cale » 2005-11-25, 15:12

Me too! I'm curious and want to learn about it. :D
Native : [flag]fr-QC[/flag] . . Fluent : [flag]en-CA[/flag] . .. . .. . .Currently interested in : [flag]ru[/flag] [flag]sv[/flag] [flag]he[/flag]
Conversant : [flag]es[/flag] [flag]zh.Hans[/flag] [flag]eo[/flag] . . . . . Also studied : [flag]grc[/flag] [flag]la[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag] [flag]it[/flag] [flag]de[/flag] [flag]ja[/flag]

Nechayev

Postby Nechayev » 2005-11-25, 18:02

This is really interesting. I was browsing the Shqip Wikipedia, and in some ways it seems like another Slavic language, while in other ways it seems totally unrelated (since Albanian is standing on its own.)

So, does anyone know what this article is about? It seems pretty in depth and it has no other wikilinks to other languages...

Stan

Postby Stan » 2005-11-25, 18:16

Nechayev wrote:So, does anyone know what this article is about? It seems pretty in depth and it has no other wikilinks to other languages...

I don't speak Albanian at all, but my best guess is this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illyria

Nechayev

Postby Nechayev » 2005-11-25, 19:09

That was my guess, too, but I wasn't sure.

Rikita

Postby Rikita » 2005-11-25, 21:20

yay, there are posts here now. i looked here yesterday, and it was all empty so i was scared to post. anyway, where is our teacher?

red devil

Postby red devil » 2005-11-25, 23:50

Hello Everyone,

We have an Albanian Language school finally. I am sorry for not posting on it yet. I am trying to do this right so I am preparing a few lessons before I just post anything.

I will be adding an introduction tomorrow, so hopefully that should give you a brief insight into Albanian and its dialects.

Thanks to everyone that supported the introduction of Albanian into unilang.org. Since I seem to be the only albanian teacher here (yikes), I will try and do my best to keep you interested for as long as possible.

red devil

Postby red devil » 2005-11-25, 23:53

I don't speak Albanian at all, but my best guess is this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illyria

In short Illyrians are widely regarded as modern day Albanian's ancestors (proto-Albanians). I will explain this a bit later in the "Culture" section

Klee

Postby Klee » 2005-11-27, 0:13

PO! - Me ne fund! (sorry ive lost my character map!!!) :roll:

I may actually be able to start using unilang as it is meant to be used. :lol:

Everyone Albanian is great! Clearly I am more than a little obsessed with it anyway :oops: :oops: :oops: If you'd like to listen to some of the music (in particular Albanian hiphop) I have a collection I am more than willing to share! Just contact me!

Look forward to talking to you to Red devil!

Mirupafshim per tani!

red devil

Lesson 0 - Introduction

Postby red devil » 2005-11-27, 2:39

Hello Everyone,

Before I start introducing you to your first words in Albanian, I have to mention a few things about the language and this course.

The form of Albanian taught here will be the Standard form. This form of the language is used in Schools, public offices and media (i.e. any official form of communication). It is virtually identical to Tosk (Toskërishte), a dialect historically spoken in southern Albania, but has since become widely spoken in almost all of Albania (as a Standard form).

In Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro and Northern fringes of Albania, the Standard form is seldom spoken, however it is widely used for written official communication, schools and in the media (not for entertainment programs though as it doesn't sound natural when spoken by a Gheg speaker, it is like an Irishman making jokes in Cockney).

In these areas Gheg is spoken but Standard Albanian is written. It is a very confusing situation which I will explain at some later stage. Gheg Albanians and especially Kosovars (the most extreme form of Gheg) find it very difficult to express themselves in a standard Albanian. For example: One interesting thing you will notice is that when a TV reporter (who has obviously been trained to speak the standard version) asks a random teenager on the street about their opinion on something, they almost always try to answer in the standard Albanian, and they do it gracefully but with a few mistakes and a heavy accent, in some cases when they get too excited they tend to forget they’re on TV and switch to Gheg, which enables them to express themselves much clearer. You know when this happens when the tempo of speech increases significantly as they don’t have to think as much when they speak.

It is a paradoxical situation, however the point I am trying to make here is that, the Standard Albanian will be understood by almost all Albanians, hence why we are doing it here (as well as because it is the Standard of course).

Just as a quick comparison. Gheg (Gegënishte) and Tosk (Toskërishte) can vary quite a bit, especially the extreme forms as they are only partially intelligible. These could easily be different languages, but because of political reasons they are not. Whereas Serb and Croat are virtually the same but classed as different languages, the Albanian dialects can be compared to Castilian and Catalan, or Serbian and Macedonian in terms of difference.

Ok let us begin ( Të fillojmë )

From above you can tell that ‘we begin’ is ‘fillojmë’.

The infinitives in albanian start with ‘për të’ (not always though), so here we have an, ‘për të filluar’ (to start, to commence). This is a verb that ends with ‘uar’, so let’s from now on call these verbs, UAR verbs.

You would normally drop the ‘për të’ (as you would drop ‘to’ in English) and the ‘uar’ ending to form the present tense. This gives us the following:

I begin – (unë) filloj
You begin – (ti) fillon
You begin[formal] – (ju) filloni
He/She begins – (ai/ajo) fillon

We begin – (ne) fillojmë
You (pl)begin – (ju) filloni
They begin – (ata/ato) fillojnë

This pattern applies to most UAR verbs. There are a very few exceptions but at this stage not important.

As you can see from the above, the formal ‘you’ is the same as plural ‘you’. This applies to ALL the verbs. The formal ‘you’ you would use to speak to people you don’t usually know and wish to show respect to, the other form is used when spoken to friends.

Ok, here’s a little homework for you all:

1. The infinite of ‘to go’ in Albanian is ’për të shkuar’, how about you figure out the present tense (this is easy, but it will get harder believe me).

The verb for ‘to see’ is ‘për të shikuar’. If you want to say ‘to see it’ (note the ’it’ here) you would change the infinitive to ‘për ta shikuar’.

2. If the verb for ‘to fail’ is ‘për të dështuar’. How would you say ‘to fail it’ in Albanian.

3. Once you’ve done the number 1, try and say ‘We are going to see it’ (tip: in Albanian this is the same as ‘We go to see it’).

PLEASE USE ‘ANSWERS LESSON- 0’ TO POST YOUR ANSWERS.

red devil

Lesson 0 - Your answers to the questions

Postby red devil » 2005-11-27, 2:41

You can post the answers to the questions in lesson 0 here. Any questions that you may have will also be answered here.

let's roll

Nechayev

Postby Nechayev » 2005-11-27, 2:41

Klee, I don't care for hip-hop in general, but if you have any other types of Albanian music, I would definitely be interested.

I have two songs by Aleksander Gjelaj:
Kce Moj Çikë Hasanaga
Shote

Nechayev

Postby Nechayev » 2005-11-27, 2:49

(unë) shkoj - I go
(ti) shkon - You go
(ju) shkoni - You go (formal)
(ai/ajo) shkon - He/she goes

(ne) shkojmë - We go
(ju) shkoni - You go (plural)
(ata/ato) shkojnë - They go

2. për ta dështuar

3. ne shkojmë për ta shikuar

Strigo

Postby Strigo » 2005-11-27, 5:30

unë shkoj
ti shkon
ju shkoni
ai/ajo shkon
ne shkojmë
ju shkoni
ata/ato shkojnë

2. për ta dështuar

ne shkojmë për ta shikuar
Aquí es donde traduzco diariamente música israelí del hebreo al español

[flag]cl[/flag] native; [flag]en[/flag] fluent; [flag]il[/flag] lower advanced ; [flag]pt-BR[/flag] read fluently, understand well, speak not so badly (specially after some Itaipava); recently focusing on [flag]sv[/flag][flag]ar[/flag] and I promised myself to finish my [flag]ru[/flag] New Penguin Russian Course: A Complete Course for Beginners in less than a month (12/oct/2013). Wants to wake up one day speaking [flag]ka[/flag][flag]lt[/flag] and any Turkic language.

Quetzalcoatl

Postby Quetzalcoatl » 2005-11-27, 11:38

ANSWERS LESSON- 0’

unë shkoj
ti shkon
aj, ajo shkon
ne shkojmë
ju shkoni (plural, formal)
ata, ato shkojnë

për ta dështuar

Ne shkojmë për ta shikuar

Klee