Scots

Any language which does not have a specific forum can have a thread made for it here.
Ciarán12
Re: Scots

Postby Ciarán12 » 2013-10-20, 12:44

Lewis91 wrote:Am I the speaker of a distinct language or just a dialect of English? What do you all think?

http://www.scotslanguage.com/articles/view/2294

How much of this Peter kinnen extract can you understand?

My 2 cents: it's a different language. This strained mutual inteligibility for me, I had to concentrate, and even so I missed bits frequently enough. There just aren't any other "dialects" of English that do that to this extent. Like, if AAVE and Dublin English are different dialects, you need a new word to describe the difference between Dublin English and this - there just way more different.

This is great though, I love half-understanding it! So much so that I don't actually want to learn it, it would ruin the weird semi-comprehensibility that I like :)

Saim

Postby Saim » 2013-12-02, 20:56

That's seriously awesome. <<gh>> is [x]? :D "Very" is "gae"?

I don't have the feeling that that's my language, no. It was quite hard to understand, so I wouldn't classify it as English.

Ciarán12

Postby Ciarán12 » 2014-07-23, 22:19

Saim wrote:"Very" is "gae"?

It just occurred to me that that might have come from Scots Gaelic "glè" - "very". Or that could be me making up bullshit folk etymology.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2014-07-24, 0:31

I just checked some online dictionaries and they seem to think it's a variant of gay.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-08-07, 18:48

Saim wrote:"Very" is "gae"?

I was just looking through this thread again and suddenly thought maybe this comes from good. Compare Northwestern (Cumberland) English [ðʊwz ɛd ə gæː fɪʊw], which IIRC means 'you've had quite a few' (something like "thou's had a good few"?).

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-02-17, 16:02

Hullo everybody, ah'm atalarikt frome Indonesia.
Hoo's a'?
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-02-19, 18:27

atalarikt wrote:Hullo everybody, ah'm atalarikt frome Indonesia.
Hoo's a'?

Nae bad. Hoo's yer doos?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-02-19, 21:44

linguoboy wrote:Nae bad. Hoo's yer doos?

Ah'm daein fine, thank ye.
Hae a myntin for guid Scots leid remit?
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-03-16, 12:23

Gormur

Re: Is this Scots?

Postby Gormur » 2021-03-02, 17:23

Gormur wrote:Is this Scots, rather than Scots Gaelic?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/voices/recordings/ ... lsay.shtml
Here's the full recording, and there other Shetlandic and Scots recordings on this website: https://sounds.bl.uk/Accents-and-dialec ... 3XX-3501V0
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-03-02, 18:52

It is. Shetlandic is a Scots dialect. I don’t know that Gaelic was ever spoken there since it was settled by the Scandinavians so early.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Return to “Other Languages”