Please translate this song (maybe Armenian)

Any language which does not have a specific forum can have a thread made for it here.
Donna
Please translate this song (maybe Armenian)

Postby Donna » 2016-12-17, 0:03

I've already been searching for this song in another forum where the users said that the language must be an Iranian one and somehow sounds like Persian. None of them spoke the language though. In the Persian sub-forum here on unilang.org a user said that it is not Persian but might be Armenian.

I really do hope that this is Armenian and someone can translate the song or even knows the title and the singer since by now several people on 3 different sites are searching for the song. The user who uploaded the file in the first place (and who believed the language to be a Turcic one) recorded it on a radio station in Kyrgyzstan in 2011 or 2012 but got stated that the language is not Kyrgyz.

I'm quite desperate now to ever even find the song so I'd appreciate every answer that could help me any further!!

!!Thank you very much in advance!!

https://app.box.com/s/x9dxszfa9factvny3zbv

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Please translate this song (maybe Armenian)

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-12-17, 1:07

I just finished listening to it now, and I feel almost positive that it's in Chechen. It has sounds that don't exist in any Indo-European or Turkic language, but Chechen has all of them AFAICT. I'm trying to look for it, too.
Last edited by vijayjohn on 2016-12-17, 2:28, edited 2 times in total.

Donna

Postby Donna » 2016-12-17, 2:19

I appreciate your quick answer!

So it's Chechen now? And on the other forum they were so sure it is an Indo-European language...

I thank you very much for your effort of also searching the song! Really, thank you very much!!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-12-17, 2:29

Well, it might be Avar. :para: The third word in the clip appears to be гьечӀо (which is a word in Avar, though I don't know what it means yet), and хирияй (at the beginning of the second line of the chorus) means 'dear' (for a woman) in Avar.

EDIT: ГЬечӀо in Avar means something like 'no' or 'not'. I also heard чӀел, though, which means 'language' in Rutul, but maybe that was part of another word or something. Idk.

EDIT2: ЧIел apparently means 'finish' in Avar.

EDIT3: I feel like I'm not really getting anywhere. :? I mean, I may be able to make out some of the words, but it doesn't help with actually finding the song on YouTube or anything because links to songs from this region tend to have vague titles like "Avar song." Maybe PMing beched could help you, although note that he hasn't been on UniLang in a while and hasn't posted much.

Return to “Other Languages”