La Internaşônal Spraq- Pastiş

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators:Ashucky, Dormouse559

ShirKoro
La Internaşônal Spraq- Pastiş

Postby ShirKoro » 2014-05-25, 18:54

Has anyone heard of this language yet? If you type in "nuwespraq" in google, it will come up. It is a new IAL (International auxiliary language) geared towards being concise and artsy.

ShirKoro

Re: La Internaşônal Spraq- Pastiş

Postby ShirKoro » 2014-05-26, 16:16

Anyone ever expressed an interest in learning or creating something different? I created this language from bits of a myriad of languages. I could use some help in adding more to the lexicon of over 1600 words so far. I have a link on my blog and facebook page to a dictionary on Google Docs with the Pastiş word, English word and/or explanation in English, the part of grammar, and etymology. Pastiş is meant to be fun, easy to read, and expressive. There is much work to do, including translating in other languages and getting more ideas. I'd say over 90% of the grammar is worked out. It has some similarities to other created languages: Interlingua, Novial, Occidental, LFN, and Esperanto/Ido. But more words come from English, Persian, Urdu/Hindi, Turkish, and German than any other created language. Let me know your thoughts. :whistle: :hmm: https://www.facebook.com/NuweSpraq?ref=hl https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-05-28, 6:43

There's a handful of sounds I'd take out because they aren't very common (I believe).

/q/, /(voiceless-uvular-fricative)/, and /ʁ/ aren't in most Asian and (with the exception of French and German <r>) Indo-European languages. That's a pretty big portion of languages without /q/ at least. I do realise that Arabic languages and those related to them are IE, but note that I said most. /q/ also is often mistaken for /k/ by speakers of languages without it.

As well, I find it odd to have lax /ɔ/ but not /o/ even though the latter is more common (or so I've observed in languages I've taken the time to study phonologies). /ɵ/ isn't too common either.

My honest opinion is that unless you take out the uncommon vowels and consonants, I don't see much hope for your IAL.

ShirKoro

Postby ShirKoro » 2014-06-04, 12:00

Thanks for the reply, Koko. I tweaked the explanation of the alphabet: 8-)

o (IPA o) same as 'o' in 'pro'
ô (IPA ɒː, ɒ, and ɔ) same sound as 'ough' in 'thought' and used to differentiate between the 'a' sound when needed

q usually pronounced same as 'k' or like the g in Spanish 'agua' (IPA ɣ); The 'ch' from Greek words is usually transcribed as 'q'
'Qu' is pronounced 'kw'. *aqua can be pronounced as Spanish agua or English aqua (akwa)
'qh' is used to represent IPA x ('Kh in transliteration of Arabic and Persian).

I'm mostly using q as another phoneme for k.
IPA x I am using very sparingly as well.

As far as 'Th' (IPA ð and θ) goes, I like the sound but we could leave it up to the speaker whether or not to pronounce it as a t or a th, which would be more like Interlingua.

I've been told I have too many letters in Pastiş. I like having a 'c' for the k sound, and a 'c' for the s/ts sound. Would you suggest a better system? I personally don't like all the K's present in Esperanto and other IALs.

Thanks again for taking a look.

Return to “Conlangs”