Ainu

Any language which does not have a specific forum can have a thread made for it here.
księżycowy
Ainu Resources

Postby księżycowy » 2010-07-04, 15:46

I was surfing the web yesterday and found a website with Ainu lessons in pdf format. I'm not sure how exactly they sync up with the lessons that have been translated into English, nor do I know how good they are (as my Japanese is still very basic). Either way I figured I'd pass the link along to anyone interested.

(And of course, as can be expected, the lessons are in Japanese, hence my comment above)

Here's the link

(I almost want to say that these might be other lessons from STV . . .)

Karavinka

Re: Ainu Resources

Postby Karavinka » 2010-07-05, 7:32

księżycowy wrote:I was surfing the web yesterday and found a website with Ainu lessons in pdf format. I'm not sure how exactly they sync up with the lessons that have been translated into English, nor do I know how good they are (as my Japanese is still very basic). Either way I figured I'd pass the link along to anyone interested.

(And of course, as can be expected, the lessons are in Japanese, hence my comment above)

Here's the link

(I almost want to say that these might be other lessons from STV . . .)

I think I am fairly positive that umzum once posted the link somewhere in the discussion threads. At least the Ainu page on her website has the link, so I kind of assumed that it was known.

The lessons sync perfectly as far as the Ainu contents go. As I mentioned in the translator's note, the details of the explanatory mateirals may differ significantly in Japanese and in my English versions because the explanations are (for an obvious reason) directed to the Japanese speakers with Japanese reflexes. This is the case especially with the word order or postpositions/particles.

STV has been creating the radio lessons ever since Heisei 10 (1998) and of course they're creating more lessons for this year, Heisei 22 (2010). I chose the two versions for "basic" and "intermediate" lessons as the 2006 lessons are the slowest-paced and the 2003 one was relatively more fast-moving and indeed go somewhat deeper. But it has to be kept in mind that every year they begin from ground zero; STV is not an educational institution, it's a TV/Radio station and the lessons are very short. (And many Japanese think learning a foreign language is an impossible task) Different lessons (with different lecturers) may take different approaches, but I doubt having them all translated would add much to our knowledge. That is, if I had other options available to choose from, the STV lessons might not have been my first choice to translate.

If you have any serious interest in Ainu, you have to be ready to deal with Japanese. That's simply given, and I'm not sure if this could be an excuse for not translating any further but it's simply not possible for one translator to do everything. Although there are some published materials on the Ainu culture and people in English, most of the valuable sources come in Japanese. Nothing about the language is available in English beyond some materials that belong more to linguistics than a pedagogical tool. I am aware that this bars those without sufficient knowledge of Japanese from learning Ainu, but well, I have to make a living as well. When I translated these lessons, I was a student without much financial concerns for my daily sustenance but now I work six days a week. I simply don't have the time.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-07-05, 13:42

Karavinka wrote:I think I am fairly positive that umzum once posted the link somewhere in the discussion threads. At least the Ainu page on her website has the link, so I kind of assumed that it was known.

I did look around, but didn't see anything on the forum. As far as the website, I didn't check.

The lessons sync perfectly as far as the Ainu contents go. As I mentioned in the translator's note, the details of the explanatory mateirals may differ significantly in Japanese and in my English versions because the explanations are (for an obvious reason) directed to the Japanese speakers with Japanese reflexes. This is the case especially with the word order or postpositions/particles.

STV has been creating the radio lessons ever since Heisei 10 (1998) and of course they're creating more lessons for this year, Heisei 22 (2010). I chose the two versions for "basic" and "intermediate" lessons as the 2006 lessons are the slowest-paced and the 2003 one was relatively more fast-moving and indeed go somewhat deeper. But it has to be kept in mind that every year they begin from ground zero; STV is not an educational institution, it's a TV/Radio station and the lessons are very short. (And many Japanese think learning a foreign language is an impossible task) Different lessons (with different lecturers) may take different approaches, but I doubt having them all translated would add much to our knowledge. That is, if I had other options available to choose from, the STV lessons might not have been my first choice to translate.

I had though that STV was doing something similar to that.

If you have any serious interest in Ainu, you have to be ready to deal with Japanese. That's simply given, and I'm not sure if this could be an excuse for not translating any further but it's simply not possible for one translator to do everything. Although there are some published materials on the Ainu culture and people in English, most of the valuable sources come in Japanese. Nothing about the language is available in English beyond some materials that belong more to linguistics than a pedagogical tool. I am aware that this bars those without sufficient knowledge of Japanese from learning Ainu, but well, I have to make a living as well. When I translated these lessons, I was a student without much financial concerns for my daily sustenance but now I work six days a week. I simply don't have the time.

No, I'm not asking anyone to translate these lessons. Sorry if from our previous conversation it seemed that way. I just was trying to help other people find these resources.

I am serious about learning Ainu, but as you've said, and I've easily realized, I should focus on my Japanese for now. After getting my Japanese up to a good level I could use any of the lessons linked to above (and also use my Okinawan lessons! 8-) ). In short I plan on learning Japanese well enough to translate the stuff myself (eventually). I just wasn't sure if the link to the site was anywhere on Unilang . . .

Thanks for your insight though.

Śrāmaṇera

Re: Ainu Itako

Postby Śrāmaṇera » 2010-07-07, 8:37

I just finished studying the 52 beginner lessons Karavinka translated in the Resources part of Unilang. It's really interesting and it makes me feel like going further now.

It's weird but it reminds me of the time I tried to learn Finnish. Same taste.

And yes, Japanese really helps...

Śrāmaṇera

Re: ITAKO!

Postby Śrāmaṇera » 2010-07-10, 9:51

クアニ アナネ ジュリアン クネ。
kuani anakne Julian ku=ne.

アイヌイタ ピカ イタ ネ。
aynuitak pirka itak ne.

アイヌイタ クエラムアン ルスイ クス ネ。
aynuitak ku=eramuan rusuy kusu ne.

北海道 ウン オマン アナ アタイコ ヤッカイ、 クオマン ルスイ ナ。
Hokkaido un oman anak ataykor yakkai, ku=oman rusuy na.

poeme

short ainu translation

Postby poeme » 2010-10-09, 15:03

Hello all,

I have a very short poem alredy translated in 280 languages, even in some rares dead languages (maya, copte, hieroglyphs, arapaho, mahican etc) made by researchers

For 50% of the translations i have also real natives voices who say them, most of time made by radios, sometimes big internationals radios

I should be really happy to get an ainu translation of my short poem.

Because of an important animation which give all the meaning, i shall prefer that you discover it on my website here:
Love Poem

I really hope for your help for this very short translation with perhaps the audio of a native voice who say it.

regards
Jean-Yves
Last edited by poeme on 2016-07-20, 8:52, edited 1 time in total.

Vershana

Yaisa maneena

Postby Vershana » 2010-11-06, 15:38

Hi,
I came across a charming Ainu traditional song with the name "Yaisa Maneena". Could somebody please translate what the title means?

Thanks,
V.
native: Slovak
fluent: English, Lithuanian, French, Spanish, German
beginner: Finnish, Mandarin Chinese, Northern Sámi

...vienam džiaugtis liūdna

Karavinka

Re: Yaisa maneena

Postby Karavinka » 2010-11-10, 5:12

Vershana wrote:Hi,
I came across a charming Ainu traditional song with the name "Yaisa Maneena". Could somebody please translate what the title means?

Thanks,
V.

If it is the same "Yaisamanena" that I know, the title itself means nothing.
Many Ainu folks songs contain repeated phrases with (apparently) no semantic meanings as refrains.

Yaysamanena (x4)
Chikap ta ku=ne
Rera ta ku=ne
Ne wa ne yakne
Ne wa ne yakne

This is the first lines of the song that I know, and please check if this is what you hear.

hashi

Minority language rights in Japan

Postby hashi » 2011-04-18, 5:38

Does anyone have any links to information or articles or resources about the status of Ainu as a minority language in Japan and the history and historical influences on decline/revival of the language? It would be most good to hear from someone :)
(en-nz)(ja)(sv)(it)(mi)(et)

Sono ancora qui (a volte), ma probabilmente non ti voglio parlare.

Eginhard

Re: Minority language rights in Japan

Postby Eginhard » 2011-04-18, 11:33

The three Japanese acts of law concerning the Ainu people are the following:

1899 - Hokkaido Former Aborigines Protection Act: Ainu are declared "former Aborigines" and thus forced to assimilate

1 July 1997 - Ainu Cultural Promotion Act/New Ainu Law: No real recognition of the Ainu, but promotion of Ainu culture starts. For example the Ainu Times was first published in 1997 and in 1998 the Sapporo TV language programme started. Apparently Ainu is/was also taught at some language schools in Hokkaido, but I can't find current information on that. (cf. http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/アイヌ文化振興法 or the original text: http://www.tanken.com/ainusinpo.html)

6 June 2008: Resolution to recognise the Ainu people as "an indigenous people with a distinct language, religion and culture". What practical value this resolution has is of course questionable, but an expert council was established to advise the government on Ainu matters from now on. (cf. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7437244.stm or http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/their- ... 91830.html or http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/ ... 607a1.html)

See also: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/アイヌ語#.E3.82.A2.E3.82.A4.E3.83.8C.E8.AA.9E.E3.81.AE.E7.8F.BE.E7.8A.B6 (current status of the language). Unfortunately up-to-date and reliable information on the Ainu language is extremely hard to find.

PS: Copy the Wikipedia URLs, I can't get them to work.
Current focus: [flag=]lt[/flag] [flag=]fr[/flag] [flag=]bg[/flag] [flag=]hr[/flag] [flag=]ga[/flag]

hashi

Postby hashi » 2011-04-19, 2:08

Eginhard wrote:The three Japanese acts of law concerning the Ainu people are the following:

1899 - Hokkaido Former Aborigines Protection Act: Ainu are declared "former Aborigines" and thus forced to assimilate

1 July 1997 - Ainu Cultural Promotion Act/New Ainu Law: No real recognition of the Ainu, but promotion of Ainu culture starts. For example the Ainu Times was first published in 1997 and in 1998 the Sapporo TV language programme started. Apparently Ainu is/was also taught at some language schools in Hokkaido, but I can't find current information on that. (cf. http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/アイヌ文化振興法 or the original text: http://www.tanken.com/ainusinpo.html)

6 June 2008: Resolution to recognise the Ainu people as "an indigenous people with a distinct language, religion and culture". What practical value this resolution has is of course questionable, but an expert council was established to advise the government on Ainu matters from now on. (cf. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7437244.stm or http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/their- ... 91830.html or http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/ ... 607a1.html)

See also: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/アイヌ語#.E3.82.A2.E3.82.A4.E3.83.8C.E8.AA.9E.E3.81.AE.E7.8F.BE.E7.8A.B6 (current status of the language). Unfortunately up-to-date and reliable information on the Ainu language is extremely hard to find.

PS: Copy the Wikipedia URLs, I can't get them to work.

Wow thanks! This will come in handy for my dissertation. I was quite shocked to see that Inari Saami weren't given full rights until 1998, but Ainu waiting till 2008 is incredible :/

Eginhard

Postby Eginhard » 2011-04-19, 9:00

What exactly is your topic?
Current focus: [flag=]lt[/flag] [flag=]fr[/flag] [flag=]bg[/flag] [flag=]hr[/flag] [flag=]ga[/flag]

hashi

Postby hashi » 2011-04-19, 9:43

Eginhard wrote:What exactly is your topic?

Social, political and educational systems that contribute to the decline and revival or minority languages. I'm using Ainu, Māori and Sámi as case studies.

Śrāmaṇera

Postby Śrāmaṇera » 2011-04-20, 23:39

Japanese people couldn't care less anyway. But Ainu is such an amazing language. I really wish I had more time to dive into it.

You can get a really good insight into the language system by following the UL course for Ainu (52 lessons).

hashi

Postby hashi » 2011-04-24, 2:55

Nejimakidori wrote:Japanese people couldn't care less anyway. But Ainu is such an amazing language. I really wish I had more time to dive into it.

You can get a really good insight into the language system by following the UL course for Ainu (52 lessons).

I'm not so much interested in the language linguistically, more so just socially I guess, but thanks all the same :)

Unknown

Conversation in Ainu

Postby Unknown » 2011-05-08, 3:03

Hey everybody I am back on UniLang and I was looking through the Intermediate Ainu Lesson Thread and I wanted to start a group conversation in Ainu and see where it will go. I'll start the conversation and if anybody has the Ainu alphabet, it would be much appreciated if you could use it.

ウウェランカラプ  アン ナー。 イランカラプテー。 ヘマンタ ネプキ ア・キ コロ アナン? 

hashi

Postby hashi » 2011-05-12, 3:41

I have found some basic introductory lessons - as you guessed - in Japanese. Some links:

http://city.hokkai.or.jp/~ayaedu/ainugo/sakoto00.html
http://city.hokkai.or.jp/~ayaedu/ainugo/sakotoba.html

Śrāmaṇera

Postby Śrāmaṇera » 2011-05-12, 4:46

I think there is a link to this "Samani ainugo kyoushitsu" somewhere in the ainu forum, I remember I found this website via Unilang.

hashi

Postby hashi » 2011-05-12, 9:02

Nejimakidori wrote:I think there is a link to this "Samani ainugo kyoushitsu" somewhere in the ainu forum, I remember I found this website via Unilang.

Ah well, at least its in the right thread now anyway.

Karavinka

Re: Conversation in Ainu

Postby Karavinka » 2011-05-21, 14:02

Cesare M. wrote:Hey everybody I am back on UniLang and I was looking through the Intermediate Ainu Lesson Thread and I wanted to start a group conversation in Ainu and see where it will go. I'll start the conversation and if anybody has the Ainu alphabet, it would be much appreciated if you could use it.

ウウェランカラプ  アン ナー。 イランカラプテー。 ヘマンタ ネプキ ア・キ コロ アナン? 

You know, it's very tempting to delete this thread. But I'll try to be nice and just bash it.

Return to “Other Languages”