Ladin

Any language which does not have a specific forum can have a thread made for it here.
IpseDixit
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Ladin

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-01-16, 16:20

Forse il Fassano... lo trovo il più dolce di tutti i dialetti che abbia sentito, però non sono sicuro di aver ancora sentito il Badiotto...

IpseDixit
Language Forum Moderator

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-04-08, 16:42

For those who speak Italian, check this out:

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=42874

IpseDixit
Language Forum Moderator

Postby IpseDixit » 2017-07-11, 15:28

linguoboy wrote:
Massimiliano B wrote:The Ladin language, along with Romansh (Rumantsch) and Friulan, forms the so called Rhaeto-Romance group of languages

Or it doesn't. Haiman and Benincà argue pretty convincingly in The Rhaeto-romance languages that there are no features which are common to Romansh, Ladin, and Friulian and which are not shared with any of the other adjoining varieties (the "dialetti settentrionali" on your first map). This grouping is based on an earlier hypothesis of a distinct common origin (and Rhaetian substratum) which simply doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

That's very interesting, I might consider reading it (especially since I've found it for free on the internet). After having spent some years learning Ladin, I do feel that there's quite some "ideology" surrounding its belonging to the so-called Rhaeto-Romance group; it's not really an overt ideology, but I've always been under the impression that being part of an alleged Rhaeto-Romance family (both linguistic and ethnic) is somehow a reason for pride for the Ladinian people and, IMO, also a motive to further validate their claim that they're a nation on their own, different from the Italian nation (just to be clear, I don't really have an issue with this claim per se).

Over the years, I've also become more and more skeptical about the official version of how Ladin arose, that's to say from the mix of the vulgar Latin spoken by the soldiers who conquered the Dolomites and settled there and the Rhaetian language of the local people, which I've always found rather quaint considering that Rhaetian is almost entirely unknown. It looks more like a founding myth rather than a scientific theory, which - again - can be used for political/nationalistic ends (e.g: look, we have Rhaetian blood too, we're not like all other Romance-speaking people, we're different and unique and (I'd also add) better than those slack people south of us who only have Latin blood*).

*yeah I know that blood and DNA =/= the language you speak, but the two concepts tend to be very blurry when it comes to nationalistic rhetoric.

Anyway, I want to stress the fact that none of this is openly expressed (at least AFAIK), it's all veiled and subtle, and these are just my impressions. And of course I'm not saying that all Ladinian people have this mindset, although I think it's relatively widespread to different extents.

Return to “Other Languages”