Arrernte

Moderators:aaakknu, atalarikt

księżycowy
Arrernte

Postby księżycowy » 2010-12-08, 20:23

Well he did it! Good Ol' Struth got to me and talked me into doing an Australian Aboriginal language. But then again, who am I kidding! I love indigenous languages, whether of the Americas or of Australia! So it didn't take much convincing! :P

Anyway, here's a place to discuss this interesting Aussie language! 8-)

I plan on learning this one along with my current WAC list, so expect more here soon.
Last edited by księżycowy on 2010-12-21, 20:54, edited 1 time in total.

Struthiomimus

Re: Arrernte (Ikngerripenhe)

Postby Struthiomimus » 2010-12-09, 2:24

Werte! Unte mwerre? :)

This is awesome ! :silly:
[flag=]wbp[/flag] [flag=]qu[/flag] [flag=]eo[/flag] [flag=]wo[/flag] [flag=]rom[/flag] [flag=]csb[/flag] [flag=]lkt[/flag]

"Beshav me akana kai le chirikle chi gilaban." kaj, "Beidh ceol, caint agus craic againn."

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-12-09, 12:02

Ware! Ayenge mwerre! :wink:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-12-09, 23:27

Joined TAC and added Arrernte to my WAC/TAC list, so you're not alone Struth! Though you're doing Warlpiri, but close enough, eh?

Struthiomimus

Postby Struthiomimus » 2010-12-12, 0:50

Congratulations! Welcome to the club! :silly: And wow, Arrernte is really different from Warlpiri or Warumungu :o
[flag=]wbp[/flag] [flag=]qu[/flag] [flag=]eo[/flag] [flag=]wo[/flag] [flag=]rom[/flag] [flag=]csb[/flag] [flag=]lkt[/flag]

"Beshav me akana kai le chirikle chi gilaban." kaj, "Beidh ceol, caint agus craic againn."

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-12-12, 12:24

You'd know better then me if it's different from Warlpiri. :silly:
But yeah, I probably won't be working on this one that much right now, as I need to get caught up with Mohawk and Arapaho. Plus I want to get those to down by the end of the WAC if possible.
Fear not though! I'll get into it soon! :wink:

All I know is, from what I listened to on the cd, I don't know what I like more: the language itself, or the Australian accent of the narrator! :lol:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-12-15, 20:14

księżycowy wrote:But yeah, I probably won't be working on this one that much right now, as I need to get caught up with Mohawk and Arapaho. Plus I want to get those to down by the end of the WAC if possible.
Fear not though! I'll get into it soon!

Never-mind that. I'm not doing the TAC (yet anyway), but I will work on Arrernte now in addition to my WAC list.

Anyway, have you been able to find anything online for Arrernte Struth? Like a dictionary or texts, or something.
I've tried looking, but I haven't been able to find anything . . . :?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-12-16, 19:48

not exactly the most appropriate place to post this, but I found a conversational course on Australian Kriol English here:
http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/de ... o=ED282432
Might give this a go at some point myself. I'm actually quite fascinated in English based Creole languages (as well as a few others that aren't English based).

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-12-16, 20:03

there are also a bunch of materials here:
http://www.sil.org.au/Resources/Digital ... fault.aspx
They are mostly Working Papers from SIL Australia, and thus not really language learning resources (at least not for beginner learners :wink: ) but they might still help someone.

Struthiomimus

Postby Struthiomimus » 2010-12-18, 18:30

księżycowy wrote:there are also a bunch of materials here:
http://www.sil.org.au/Resources/Digital ... fault.aspx
They are mostly Working Papers from SIL Australia, and thus not really language learning resources (at least not for beginner learners ) but they might still help someone.

:wow: :wow: :wow: Mother of Pearl. Not only is there more info on Warlpiri, but there's stuff on Kalaw Kawaw Ya verbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're my new hero :blush:

Anyway, back to business. Subject pronouns in Arrernte:

*ayenge/the = I
ilerne = we (dual)
anwerne = we (pl.)

unte = you (sg.)
mpwele = you (dual)
arrantherre = you (pl.)

re = he/she/it
re-atherre = they (dual)
itne = they (pl.)

* The first-person singular is "ayenge" when referring to the subject of an intransitive verb and "the" when referring to the subject of a transitive verb.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-12-18, 18:54

Happy to help, as always. :D
Get the Learner's Guide? I'd be surprised if you didn't.
I'm only a little bit into chapter 2, but I'll get a little deeper into it this coming week. I have about 2 weeks off, as there are no classes and thus no-one to sub for over the holiday break so that will give me some quality time for Arrernte (and my NA langs. :wink:)

And I did ask ASEDA for a dictionary for Arrernte, but I haven't heard back from them (yet anyway). :(

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-12-19, 23:48

Hmmm . . . :hmm: I still haven't heard from ASEDA, but no matter. I'll be getting the Picture Dictionary in a week or so. :P

Don't know how good the dictionary is, but it certainly should have a ton more words then the Learner's Guide does. That's the only thing I think is lacking about the Learner's Guide. Though then again, it's better then the Pitjantjatjara Learner's Guide from what I understand. Pitjantjatjara apparently only has 40ish pages! :shock:

Anyway, I'll post some notes soon myself Struth! And by soon I mean in a day or two. Unless you want the honor of posting that stuff. :lol:

księżycowy

Re: Arrernte

Postby księżycowy » 2010-12-21, 20:32

An interesting dissertation on Arrernte is here:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/17080036/arrerntewilkins1989
Looks pretty good actually! :)

Struthiomimus

Postby Struthiomimus » 2010-12-21, 22:46

ASEDA took a long time to get back to me too when I asked for materials, so I'm not surprised. Keep in mind that it's not only holiday time but also summer in Australia now...so you might have a longer delay than normal due to people not being around/in office. I'd give them a week or so and email again.

I was working on tenses today:

alheme = go/am going

alheke = went

alhetyenhe = will go

księżycowy wrote:An interesting dissertation on Arrernte is here:http://www.scribd.com/doc/17080036/arrerntewilkins1989Looks pretty good actually!

Doesn't work for me. Neither does the pdf page :?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-12-21, 23:00

Struthiomimus wrote:ASEDA took a long time to get back to me too when I asked for materials, so I'm not surprised.

Actually they got back to me the day after I said that!
What materials did you end up getting (out of curiosity)?
I pretty much just decided to just wait to get the full Eastern and Central Arrernte to English Dictionary, though I might give ASEDA a try in the meantime.

Doesn't work for me. Neither does the pdf page :?

I PM'ed you.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-12-27, 19:11

Feels like your leaving me in the dust Struth!
I'm still working on pronunciation and a bit of chapter 2 (before they get into verbs). :?
Oh well, I'll get there. I suppose my style of learning is quite relaxed, eh? :)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-01-12, 15:33

Struthiomimus wrote:I was working on tenses today:

alheme = go/am going

alheke = went

alhetyenhe = will go

I’ll post a few brief notes for a change of pace!

Going off what you posted Struth, two more verb endings:

alhetyke = go-INTENT
This verb ending is best understood in the context of a sentence:
ayenge alhentyke - I am going (I have the intent to go: I intend to go)
(Hope I got the right pronoun :para:)

alhetye-akenhe - not go/not going/ will not go
(This ending does not combine with other endings, so tense is unknown)

Struthiomimus

Postby Struthiomimus » 2011-03-11, 0:52

Księżycowy, I know you're not actively learning Arrernte now, but didn't you post in this thread about commands in Arrernte? I don't see it now... :shock:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-03-11, 17:40

Hmmm . . . I think I did too. That's odd! :?
Hope I didn't accidentally erase that post!
I can post it again if you want.

Return to “Australian, Austronesian and Papuan Languages”