Awabakal

Moderators:aaakknu, atalarikt

Vortex
Re: Awabakal

Postby Vortex » 2010-03-01, 21:02

I just found this thread (I don't really go to this part of the forum too much but I guess this is proof that I should). I'm interested in find out some more about this language but since my knowledge of it is so low I can't think of any specific questions to ask. So I guess I'll start of with a general request.

On the thread about case marking vs. syntax you mentioned the complex verbs. So would you mind giving a quick overview of the verbs particularly things like personal argreement, TAM, and some stuff on the morphosyntactic alignment?
Economic Left/Right: -9.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.87

Struthiomimus

Postby Struthiomimus » 2010-03-01, 21:20

Cool. Another Aussie lang 8-) But what's the motivation behind resuscitating this language as opposed to another (Dhurga, Muruwari, Nganyaywana, Ngura, Thurawal, etc.)?

Yeshua.C wrote:I'll be organising a project for the language and other Australian languages in the near future, so if anyone involved in Awabakal, Twi, Pitjantjatjara, Arrente, Warlpiri, or any other, ask me about it here or in a private message.

What kind of projects?
[flag=]wbp[/flag] [flag=]qu[/flag] [flag=]eo[/flag] [flag=]wo[/flag] [flag=]rom[/flag] [flag=]csb[/flag] [flag=]lkt[/flag]

"Beshav me akana kai le chirikle chi gilaban." kaj, "Beidh ceol, caint agus craic againn."

Yeshua.C

Postby Yeshua.C » 2010-03-01, 23:39

rthwthsth
Last edited by Yeshua.C on 2011-03-25, 0:10, edited 1 time in total.

Sean of the Dead

Postby Sean of the Dead » 2010-03-03, 23:14

This is a very interesting language! Reminds me of a mixture or Basque/Finnish and Tagalog. Don't ask why. :lol: I think it'd be interesting to try out a language from Australia sometime. Would you recommend a certain language that a person far from Australia could learn with books and/or online materials?
Main focuses: [flag]kw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag]
Sub focus: Plautdietsch
On my own: [flag]is[/flag]

Yeshua.C

Postby Yeshua.C » 2010-03-04, 0:24

thsthtrh
Last edited by Yeshua.C on 2011-03-25, 0:10, edited 1 time in total.

Sean of the Dead

Postby Sean of the Dead » 2010-03-04, 3:42

I read a bit about the grammar of both of those, and read aloud the paragraphs on Omniglot to get a feel for the sound, and so far I don't like Warlpiri much, but Pitjantjatjara is quite cool. :) Although, so far I am most interested in Awabakal. I love absolutive-ergative languages, and this one is very unique, being from Australia. I've never even thought of studying one until a couple months ago! Awabakal's grammar is very intriguing, so when you are able to provide lessons, my partner and I would gladly be on board. :y:

By the way, how is this language being constructed? I would imagine there aren't very many texts available in it from when it was alive.

What books exist for learning/reading about it so far? I have seen you mention a dictionary with about a thousand words in it.

Also, do you happen to know what the diacritics in the example on Wikipedia represent? Or anything about the phonology? :P

kauwȧllo túġunbilliko ġurránto Murrȧrȧġ
Main focuses: [flag]kw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag]
Sub focus: Plautdietsch
On my own: [flag]is[/flag]

Yeshua.C

Postby Yeshua.C » 2010-03-04, 4:54

sthtghaqrg

Return to “Australian, Austronesian and Papuan Languages”