Warlpiri

Moderators:aaakknu, atalarikt

Struthiomimus
Re: Warlpiri

Postby Struthiomimus » 2011-08-06, 0:56

Yeah, well. :silly:

Anyway, here's a clip I came across about Warlpiri counting. Don't really care for the narrator, but you can hear spoken Warlpiri in the clip.
[flag=]wbp[/flag] [flag=]qu[/flag] [flag=]eo[/flag] [flag=]wo[/flag] [flag=]rom[/flag] [flag=]csb[/flag] [flag=]lkt[/flag]

"Beshav me akana kai le chirikle chi gilaban." kaj, "Beidh ceol, caint agus craic againn."

Struthiomimus

Postby Struthiomimus » 2011-11-18, 4:27

All this Lakhota-ing is making me miss Warlpiri. So time to talk about it :)

yani = "to go"
nyarrpara = "where"
-kurra/-kirra = denotes the allative
nyarrpara-kurra = "where to"
parnkami = generally "to run," but can refer to quick movement along a path in general - so birds/planes flying or vehicles on a river can also parnkami
pirli = stone, hill, coin
ngurra = camp, home
kuurlu = school

Nyarrpara-kurra kanpa yani? = Where are you (s.) going?

Maliki ka pirli-kirra parnkami. = The dog is running to the hill.
Ngaju karna ngurra-kurra yani. = I am going to the camp.
Nyuntu kanpa kuurlu-kurra yani. = You are going to the school.

I feel better now :D
[flag=]wbp[/flag] [flag=]qu[/flag] [flag=]eo[/flag] [flag=]wo[/flag] [flag=]rom[/flag] [flag=]csb[/flag] [flag=]lkt[/flag]

"Beshav me akana kai le chirikle chi gilaban." kaj, "Beidh ceol, caint agus craic againn."

Struthiomimus

Postby Struthiomimus » 2011-11-23, 3:31

Word of the Day: jurlpu/jirripirdi - n. bird

Struthiomimus

Postby Struthiomimus » 2011-11-24, 3:43

Word of the Day: wakulyarri - n. rock wallaby

manok

Postby manok » 2011-11-25, 13:07

Struthiomimus wrote:Word of the Day: wakulyarri - n. rock wallaby

nice,thank you :)

Struthiomimus

Postby Struthiomimus » 2011-11-26, 4:14

Words of the Day:

kuyu - food of animal origin
miyi/mangarri - food of plant origin
pama - delicacies of insect origin (alcohol also usually falls under this category; pama-jangka = "drunk")

manok wrote:nice,thank you

Welcome to the party. :partyhat:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-11-26, 19:41

You're tempting me Struth!
If I had any time to devote to another language I'd pick up an Australian one (probably). But as it stands, I'm barely holding Lakȟota together right now. :whistle:

Struthiomimus

Postby Struthiomimus » 2011-11-27, 4:13

księżycowy wrote:You're tempting me Struth!

Good 8-) Learn Warlpiri :silly:

Word of the Day: yulkami - v. like, love, be fond of

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-11-27, 13:29

Struthiomimus wrote:Good 8-) Learn Warlpiri :silly:

Must . . . resist . . . must resist . . . . :P

Struthiomimus

Postby Struthiomimus » 2011-11-29, 3:15

Words of the Day:

jijami - v. to succumb to, be overwhelmed by, be beaten by, be defeated by

karli - n. boomerang

księżycowy wrote:Must . . . resist . . . must resist . . . . :P

Great. So you've decided to learn Warlpiri. Can't wait to see your contributions to the thread. :silly:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-11-29, 22:10

Struthiomimus wrote:Great. So you've decided to learn Warlpiri. Can't wait to see your contributions to the thread. :silly:

Not quite.
At any rate, if I were to start learning an AAL again it'd probably be either Arrernte or Ngaanyatjarra. Not that I wouldn't want to pick up some Warlpiri eventually.

Struthiomimus

Postby Struthiomimus » 2011-11-30, 4:24

Word of the Day: ngarni - v. to eat, drink

księżycowy wrote:Not quite.
At any rate, if I were to start learning an AAL again it'd probably be either Arrernte or Ngaanyatjarra.

Aw well. :silly:

Struthiomimus

Postby Struthiomimus » 2012-05-10, 16:08

sasquatch

Postby sasquatch » 2012-06-23, 3:30

Where do y'all find resources for AALs?

I'm at ANU and interestingly many of our professors work/ed on indigenous languages, including Jane Simpson on Warlpiri (she was my introductory linguistics lecturer!! :D )

Next semester (a few weeks from now) I'm picking up Yolngu by distance from another university but also taking Prof. Simpson's course on indigenous languages, so good times for this!

I love indigenous and minority languages worldwide, but in comparison to Native American/Canadian languages, Australian languages seem to be very, very poorly documented at least for the wider public. Certainly not conducive to an environment for revitalisation and maintenance for these rapidly dying languages.

I might also suggest that a language-specific forum be set up for AALs

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-06-23, 10:35

For "textbooks" and dictionaries, mostly through IAD Press.

Imyirtseshem

Postby Imyirtseshem » 2012-06-24, 0:20

Last edited by Imyirtseshem on 2012-09-25, 3:56, edited 1 time in total.

Struthiomimus

Postby Struthiomimus » 2012-06-25, 2:08

sasquatch wrote:Where do y'all find resources for AALs?

księżycowy wrote:For "textbooks" and dictionaries, mostly through IAD Press.

Besides IAD, there's also the AIATSIS ASEDA catalogue and papak. What language(s) are you interested in specifically?

sasquatch wrote:Next semester (a few weeks from now) I'm picking up Yolngu by distance from another university but also taking Prof. Simpson's course on indigenous languages, so good times for this!

Holy crap! That's so awesome! You should also get Prof. Simpson to teach a Warlpiri course...and allow students to matriculate through distance-learning :twisted:

sasquatch wrote:I love indigenous and minority languages worldwide, but in comparison to Native American/Canadian languages, Australian languages seem to be very, very poorly documented at least for the wider public. Certainly not conducive to an environment for revitalisation and maintenance for these rapidly dying languages.

...all the more reason for more people in Australia to get interested and become engaged in the use, promotion and preservation of AALs.

sasquatch wrote:I might also suggest that a language-specific forum be set up for AALs

From your mouth to the mods' ears. 8-)

Also, geeze. This thread is almost 3 years old already :doggy: Had I been studying all this time, I would have like a bachelor's in Warlpiri by now. :silly:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-06-25, 10:38

Struthiomimus wrote:Besides IAD, there's also the AIATSIS ASEDA catalogue [...]

I have yet to figure out how that catalogue works. :?

Struthiomimus

Postby Struthiomimus » 2012-06-27, 1:57

księżycowy wrote:I have yet to figure out how that catalogue works. :?

From what I remember, I just looked at what resources they had listed and then sent an email telling them which ones I was interested in. They took a while to reply after that, but when they did reply, they sent me a form to fill out and send back to them. After I turned the form in, they emailed me a zip file with the resources. And the rest is history. :)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-06-27, 10:03

I might try that. Thanks.

Return to “Australian, Austronesian and Papuan Languages”