Vilamovian (wymysöryś)

Any language which does not have a specific forum can have a thread made for it here.
Timpul
Vilamovian (wymysöryś)

Postby Timpul » 2009-06-17, 16:31

The Vilamovian language seems to be interesting - it is spoken only by a minority of Dutch origin, only in one town and almost only by old people. However, I know there are some Unilang members who wish to get to know it. Unfortunately - there are almost no materials. I'm posting here everything useful for you that I found.

* Vilamovian-Polish-German-English dictionary
* A collection of poems in Vilamovian, translated into Polish and German
* Some recordings of poems given above (you just have to click "Pobierz")

I'm not a native speaker of Vilamovian - I just have a very basic level of it.

Ghost

Re: Vilamovian (wymysöryś)

Postby Ghost » 2009-06-17, 17:54

I read somewhere that theres an group that are trying to revival Wymysöryś, thought i can't find the link anywhere right now.
"
English is essentially language's equivalent to a transvestite
"
--Andreas Johansson

Timpul

Re: Vilamovian (wymysöryś)

Postby Timpul » 2009-06-17, 19:28

Vilamovian is still a living langauge, although extremely endangered, so there's no need to revive it. Nevertheless, there's a forum which tries to save Vilamovian from extinction. It can be found here (in Polish).

Qsy

Vilamovian language

Postby Qsy » 2012-02-08, 18:35

Vilamovian or Wilamowicean (Wymysiöeryś) is a West Germanic language spoken in the small town of Wilamowice (Wymysoj in Vilamovian) near Bielsko-Biała, on the border between Silesia and Lesser Poland in the historical region of Galicia. At present, there are about 70 native users of Vilamovian, the majority of them elderly people; Vilamovian is therefore a moribund language.

And here you have a guy speaking this language http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql2E9bOpw2E

Reinder
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Vilamovian language

Postby Reinder » 2012-02-08, 19:01

Wow, I never heard about this language. It seems pretty cool. I'm surprised how close this is to Dutch, really special.
Image Image Image Image | Image | Image

Ludwig Whitby

Postby Ludwig Whitby » 2012-02-08, 19:13

Cool. I can't believe I've never heard of this language before.

Qsy

Postby Qsy » 2012-02-08, 19:54

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfg3jHV1TzE another video about it, there's plenty of them if u write down ,,język wilamowski" on youtube

For non-polish speakers:
This language is really close to Dutch because this small town (that lies close to my family town:D) was built in XIII century by Flemish immigrants. This language was used by all the inhabitants of this town until 1945 when communists started to destroy it. Now there's only some 100 people who speak it (the town has some 3000 inhabitants) but there are some young people who got interested in it. One of them Tymoteusz Król in the age of 14 managed to add this language to the register of language of the Library Of Congress in Washington. So maybe basics are not very good but there's a lot of will to renew and develop this language.

zeme

Postby zeme » 2012-02-09, 13:34

Tymoteusz also started working on the Vilamovian incubator, which has the potential of eventually becoming a Vilamovian Wikipedia. The approval is now on hold until more speakers join, but the discussion has been in favour of its creation.
The fellow who thinks he knows it all is especially annoying to those of us who do.

Return to “Other Languages”